Charlotte FC announces name and logos

Waffles

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I imagine that mockup is quite close to the final thing, though the crown will probably be refined and cleaned up, it's pretty obvious the crown on the mural was supposed to be stylized. Still hoping that Charlotte Crown FC is the final name and it's not just Charlotte FC, if they are Charlotte FC they'll probably end up being nicknamed the Crowns anyway. I really love the font, I didn't expect to like it so much but it matches the professional and slightly regal style the team seems to be going for. One thing I'm not super happy about is purple not being used, blue and black is too Panthers for my tastes but going in a completely different aesthetic will be separation enough. 

the user formerly known as cdclt

3 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Oh, i'd disagree with that. No other New York professional team goes by New York City in its name. Its name is derived from its parent company, City Football Group, owners of Manchester City FC and Melbourne City FC in the Australian league. 

So, very much within the "city" naming convention.

Yeah, that one was definitely one of those meetings of wisdom and luck that that's a great place for the City brand. Even if the name sounds awkward and clunky to me to this day (a five-letter acronym, yuck!). But can't argue with that synergy.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

10 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Oh, i'd disagree with that. No other New York professional team goes by New York City in its name. Its name is derived from its parent company, City Football Group, owners of Manchester City FC and Melbourne City FC in the Australian league. 

So, very much within the "city" naming convention.

NYC just happens to be what New York, New York is famously known as. It's a mere coincidence.

That said, NYCFC feels cluttered when it comes to abbreviating football club names.

3 hours ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

NYC just happens to be what New York, New York is famously known as. It's a mere coincidence.

That said, NYCFC feels cluttered when it comes to abbreviating football club names.

Mere coincidence? I doubt NYCFC would have used the “C” and the “City” if they weren’t under the City football umbrella. They would probably have gone with New York FC instead.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

9 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Basically what was assumed, except "Minted 2022" instead of "Est. 2022."

116021997_10102380162577366_422538636831

Secondary logo:

115890548_10102380167647206_247459710246

This is supremely disappointing. The crown has a clip art feel to it, which is a pretty uninspired critique I realize, but I can't think of a better description. I'm glad to see there's a secondary logo, but it's a bit of a jumbled mess.

In addition to preferring a different name, I had also harbored the hope that they would select more vibrant colors. The teaser last week offered what seemed to be hints of purple and a brighter blue.

I realize the ties to the Panthers are big here, but the colors here just seem so drab. 

love it. "Charlotte FC" is a little bland but the crest has all the character I could've wanted. I love the blue, the crown looks great, and "Minted 2022" is such a nice touch that further connects to the mint aspect. The secondary in particular is awesome and I'm so glad to finally have a professional team to use CLT.

Can't say I love it... the name is the most dull option from their vaunted list. The crest feels deeply undercooked, like an amateur designer's concept with a clip-art crown. The shade of blue is nice, but that color scheme feels a little overused at this point in MLS -- really wish they would have gone with more of a teal or better yet, a mint green.

The only part I really like is the use of that Lydian (or Lydian-esque) typeface, which is pretty unusual in sports but looks good here. As such I really love the monogram a lot and hope we get to see more of that than the clip-art crown.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Just now, QCS said:

love it. "Charlotte FC" is a little bland but the crest has all the character I could've wanted. I love the blue, the crown looks great, and "Minted 2022" is such a nice touch that further connects to the mint aspect. The secondary in particular is awesome and I'm so glad to finally have a professional team to use CLT.

I wouldn't say I love it, but I definitely like it. I'm not as underwhelmed as I thought I'd be.

Still holding out for mint green as an accent color on the kits, though.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

cwWwKW0.png

Charlotte FC Crest

Honoring Charlotte’s history minting American legal tender, and embodying its modern ascendance as a major financial capital in the US, our crest is inspired by a classical coin.

A clean, circular shape; a bold black-and-white palette to feature an engraving-style typeface, and commemorative MINTED •2022• markings create a unified balance of bold, contemporary graphics and historical references.

The centerpiece of the crest, a four-point crown, symbolizes the royal legacy behind our city’s name, while celebrating Charlotte’s four original wards. Set in a distinctive blue, the Charlotte FC crest is Carolina through and through.

Inspired in equal parts by Charlotte’s heritage and its future, our club crest is a badge of belonging to a city on the rise.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

I found myself jumping up and down watching the live reveal. It may not be the most exciting name or quite the nicest logo, but I'll be dammed if I don't love this team already. Cannot wait to start cheering CLT at CFC games.

So [Cityname] FC + roundel logo + Panthers colors? Nothing really original or surprising in any way, but it's a safe identity and solid design.

I do like the secondary a lot, it has a classic English look.

Kind of a "meh" reveal. Kinda dissapointed by the whole look. Black and blue is kind of overused in the MLS now (Montreal, San Jose, Minnesota to an extent), but that could be solved if they go with the Carolina Blue as the primary. Roundels are pretty overused as well. The monogram logo is pretty well designed though.

Overall, its just... generic. I would have preferred another name (Charlotte Town FC could have been interesting) but even with this name there could have been some more exciting/unique elements. Maybe a lighter blue or purple/green/gold. Maybe even  navy /green/purple replacing the black. This all just comes off as lower-level soccer to me. Let's hope St Louis comes up with something much more distinct.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

Archived