Charlotte FC announces name and logos

Waffles

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, QCS said:

I found myself jumping up and down watching the live reveal. It may not be the most exciting name or quite the nicest logo, but I'll be dammed if I don't love this team already. Cannot wait to start cheering CLT at CFC games.

I don't meant to dampen your enthusiasm, because I understand how exciting it is to have your own team, but this right here is the definition of settling for something subpar.

And I'm not sure something described as "safe" and "solid" should measure up either. Go big or go home, I say, and this mark can go home. 

2 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I don't meant to dampen your enthusiasm, because I understand how exciting it is to have your own team, but this right here is the definition of settling for something subpar.

And I'm not sure something described as "safe" and "solid" should measure up either. Go big or go home, I say, and this mark can go home. 

I don't think it's subpar. I find the connections to the city of Charlotte nice touches and the color scheme fits right in with the city. I wouldn't be surprised to see Panthers gear at CFC games. I'm very excited to see the kits, I'm hoping we see blue used more over black. 

the user formerly known as cdclt

Charlotte FC, 2022 MLS Expansion Club, Unveils Logo

July 22, 2020 - 15:31 PM

The new Charlotte-based Major League Soccer team, an expansion club slated to kick things off in 2022, announced the team’s name and unveiled their logo today. They will be known as Charlotte FC. Alternate names the team had listed as finalists were All Carolina FC, Carolina Gliders FC, Charlotte Athletic

Read More...

1 minute ago, GriffinM6 said:

They used AR Essence, which is a basic Microsoft font, along with a generic name and color scheme that a long established team in the league also uses. Completely underwhelming look. 

That's not AR Essence.

maxresdefault.jpg

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I am trying to think if I have ever seen a soccer crest that contained a crown where the crown is not above the shield/rondel.  Seems such an obvious choice.  Why not put the crown at the top, and the monogram inside the rondel?  Weird and not particularly strong visually. 

Just now, WideRight said:

I am trying to think if I have ever seen a soccer crest that contained a crown where the crown is not above the shield/rondel.  Seems such an obvious choice.  Why not put the crown at the top, and the monogram inside the rondel?  Weird and not particularly strong visually. 

I believe they wanted the crown to be the focal point, hence its placement in the middle of the roundel. I imagine the crown itself might get some usage outside of the roundel as well.

the user formerly known as cdclt

9 minutes ago, WideRight said:

This is a great point.

They should have placed the secondary logo inside the roundel, and topped it with a crown a la Real Madrid. Missed opportunity. 

spacer.png

That secondary logo would have been a good choice as the main.

Otherwise, it's about as safe as it gets. I hope St Louis offers something more interesting.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

43 minutes ago, Digby said:

Edig68SX0AMUYvr?format=jpg&name=medium

I don't hate it. Safe? Yes. Expected? Yes. But it's not bad. 

I would have liked the monogram inside and a crown on top, but this is fine. I'm hoping they use a standalone crown or the monogram on the jerseys. 
t like them going with something that isn't a geo sans font. 

They didn't knock it out of the park, but they didn't completely blow it. 

Yeah, @SFGiants58 beat me to it; that’s looking like modified Albertus for the font. I’ve always liked the font a lot; I’m a big Coldplay fan, and Coldplay used it often pre-Viva La Vida (and still do occasionally):

spacer.png

I don’t know, it may be that association with a British band, but I’ve always thought Albertus had a very Euro/regal look to it, and I think that’s a great font pairing to go with the regal crown and ties for the identity.

That all said, the name and colors are a bit disappointing. I was really hoping for Charlotte Town, and I worry the colors look a little too close to Montreal and San Jose. Perhaps if the blue was a little more electric or closer to Panthers blue, it’d be a bit more distinct. Overall the identity is okay, but could’ve done more to really separate itself from the rest of the league.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Archived