Charlotte FC announces name and logos

Waffles

6 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Charlotte Independence is a separate, pre-existing USL club under different ownership. 

Plus, it's not that great a name. Personally never cared for the Independence branding but they were our only real pro team. That name registers more with the former powerhouse HS football team with locals, than it does with the USL club. 

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, qckgnc said:

Yes and no. It won't be the most exciting name but the crest can make up for it in q major way. I'm definitely not in favor of just FC but it's the least divisive name of the bunch and allows fan input for the Club Identity.

The crown will be there for Charlotte regardless.

You can say that again. And I don't see a lot of divisiveness in Town or Crown, but I'll digress. 

I've long been an advocate of European-inspired naming conventions in MLS, but I've also grown tired of clubs just defaulting to the FC/SC name. Crown and Town, to me, carry that air or old football while offering something fresh to the league. 

As a whole, MLS still has far more traditional North American styled names than FCs and Uniteds, but they certainly don't need any more of the latter. I took a moment to organize the league's brands into categories for context.

FC/SC ONLY

Austin FC

Nashville SC

FC Dallas

Los Angeles FC

Toronto FC

FC Cincinnati

Charlotte FC?

UNITED 

Atlanta United FC

D.C. United

Minnesota United FC

CITY

New York City FC

Orlando City SC

OTHER EUROPEAN-INSPIRED NAMES

Houston Dynamo

Inter Miami

Real Salt Lake

Sporting Kansas City

NON-EURO

Chicago Fire

Colorado Rapids

Columbus Crew SC

LA Galaxy

Montreal Impact

New England Revolution

New York Red Bulls

Philadelphia Union

Portland Timbers

San Jose Earthquakes

Seattle Sounders FC

Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Sacramento Republic

TBD

St. Louis??

25 minutes ago, Popmart said:

Forgive my ignorance, but was Charlotte Independence never in the cards? That name along with the Union and Revs would have made a great set of unique American names and historical references.

Charlotte Independence is based on pseudo-history. The colors and crest are quite nice, but the story behind it has been mostly proven to be fiction. Leave it in USL.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

1 minute ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I wouldn't say NYCFC is under the City category, the name of the city has city in it, they didn't add it like Orlando did. 

Oh, i'd disagree with that. No other New York professional team goes by New York City in its name. Its name is derived from its parent company, City Football Group, owners of Manchester City FC and Melbourne City FC in the Australian league. 

So, very much within the "city" naming convention.

1 minute ago, gosioux76 said:

You can say that again. And I don't see a lot of divisiveness in Town or Crown, but I'll digress. 

I've long been an advocate of European-inspired naming conventions in MLS, but I've also grown tired of clubs just defaulting to the FC/SC name. Crown and Town, to me, carry that air or old football while offering something fresh to the league. 

As a whole, MLS still has far more traditional North American styled names than FCs and Uniteds, but they certainly don't need any more of the latter. I took a moment to organize the league's brands into categories for context.

FC/SC ONLY

Austin FC

Nashville SC

FC Dallas

Los Angeles FC

Toronto FC

FC Cincinnati

Charlotte FC?

UNITED 

Atlanta United FC

D.C. United

Minnesota United FC

CITY

New York City FC

Orlando City SC

Houston Dynamo

Inter Miami

Real Salt Lake

Sporting Kansas City

NON-EURO

Chicago Fire

Colorado Rapids

Columbus Crew SC

LA Galaxy

Montreal Impact

New England Revolution

New York Red Bulls

Philadelphia Union

Portland Timbers

San Jose Earthquakes

Seattle Sounders FC

Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Sacramento Republic

TBD

St. Louis??

Town has been my favorite since the Marcus Smith bid, I'm definitely in favor of that name over the rest. I believe it is also a favorite among the majority of the MCC.

Town and Crown have about the same amount of opposition online but FC always seems to carry consistent support amongst all the polls and threads I've seen online. I think a lot of people prefer it as a safer option that allows the fans to decide the identity. Crown basically restricts the club to a royal theme for nicknames, chants, etc. Town and FC dont have as many limitations but I can't say the casual Charlotte fans are in favor of that name. The collective and potential hardcore fans will be down regardless, they have to sell seats to the ones who aren't going to be a fan just because we have a team now.

That said. I still have hope for Town but it ain't looking good.

24 minutes ago, qckgnc said:

Yes and no. It won't be the most exciting name but the crest can make up for it in q major way. I'm definitely not in favor of just FC but it's the least divisive name of the bunch and allows fan input for the Club Identity.

The crown will be there for Charlotte regardless.

Mockup posted by MCC in twitter.

Could the team name be overlayed on top of the middle logo?

CHARLOTTE

CROWN

FOOTBALL CLUB

16 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

FC/SC ONLY

Austin FC

Nashville SC

FC Dallas

Los Angeles FC

Toronto FC

FC Cincinnati

Charlotte FC?

UNITED 

Atlanta United FC

D.C. United

Minnesota United FC

CITY

New York City FC

Orlando City SC

Houston Dynamo

Inter Miami

Real Salt Lake

Sporting Kansas City

NON-EURO

Chicago Fire

Colorado Rapids

Columbus Crew SC

LA Galaxy

Montreal Impact

New England Revolution

New York Red Bulls

Philadelphia Union

Portland Timbers

San Jose Earthquakes

Seattle Sounders FC

Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Sacramento Republic

TBD

St. Louis??

I would argue NY Red Bulls is Euro-inspired in that it is the only MLS team with a sponsor in its name. I know NYRB's sister clubs--Red Bull Salzburg and Red Bull Leipzig--aren't popularly named in exactly the same format, but to me that distinction is fine enough that I'd group NYRB into the Euro-inspired group. In fact, I recall seeing--I may be wrong on this--that the NY club's official name is Red Bull New York, but everyone (club included) uses the American standard NY Red Bulls to refer to the team.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

16 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

FC/SC ONLY

Austin FC

Nashville SC

FC Dallas

Los Angeles FC

Toronto FC

FC Cincinnati

Charlotte FC?

UNITED 

Atlanta United FC

D.C. United

Minnesota United FC

CITY

New York City FC

Orlando City SC

Houston Dynamo

Inter Miami

Real Salt Lake

Sporting Kansas City

NON-EURO

Chicago Fire

Colorado Rapids

Columbus Crew SC

LA Galaxy

Montreal Impact

New England Revolution

New York Red Bulls

Philadelphia Union

Portland Timbers

San Jose Earthquakes

Seattle Sounders FC

Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Sacramento Republic

TBD

St. Louis??

I would put the bolded names in the "Other European Inspired Names" category.  They're not direct knockoffs like "Inter" and "Real", but they feel more European than American, in my opinion.  They are also more a part of MLS 2.0 than 1.0

The Fire and Revolution would probably also belong in that category too if they were announced today.  However, they were clearly part of the MLS 1.0 style of "City/Weird Amorphous Nickname", like the Clash, Wiz, Burn and Mutiny.  In addition, Chicago Fire had already been used in the WFL. 

The Red Bulls would clearly belong in that category if they still used the name Red Bull New York.  I'm actually disappointed that they don't use it anymore.  As obviously derivative as that name is, I actually like it much better than New York Red Bulls.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

3 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

I would put the bolded names in the "Other European Inspired Names" category.  They're not direct knockoffs like "Inter" and "Real", but they feel more European than American, in my opinion.  They are also more a part of MLS 2.0 than 1.0

The Fire and Revolution would probably also belong in that category too if they were announced today.  However, they were clearly part of the MLS 1.0 style of "City/Weird Amorphous Nickname", like the Clash, Wiz, Burn and Mutiny.  In addition, Chicago Fire had already been used in the WFL. 

The Red Bulls would clearly belong in that category if they still used the name Red Bull New York.  I'm actually disappointed that they don't use it anymore.  As obviously derivative as that name is, I actually like it much better than New York Red Bulls.

Not sure I agree with any of that, or the earlier assertion that Red Bulls is Euro-inspired. It's Euro-owned, but you're right, over time it's leaned into the more U.S.-styled New York Red Bulls. The fact that it's named after its owner doesn't make it European. (See: Charlotte Bobcats.)

I see your point with Union and Republic, but I left them out of the European-inspired because, despite being nontraditional, they aren't directly replicating a specific European name, ala Inter, Real, Sporting or Dynamo. The may feel European, but they don't appear to be derived directly from a European club. 

Fun debate, though. I love this stuff. 

5 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Fun debate, though. I love this stuff. 

Tastes great!!!

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Hmmm, not sure how I feel about this. I'm hoping that the name is Town or Crown with that part in the center of the roundel. I was hoping for a shield instead of a roundel but I'll take it. Charlotte FC is far too bland for what they've tried to hype up, I'm feeling Crown tomorrow.

the user formerly known as cdclt

21 minutes ago, QCS said:

Hmmm, not sure how I feel about this. I'm hoping that the name is Town or Crown with that part in the center of the roundel. I was hoping for a shield instead of a roundel but I'll take it. Charlotte FC is far too bland for what they've tried to hype up, I'm feeling Crown tomorrow.

I was thinking they could feature the crossed pattern from the flag in the center of the crest. I'm expecting the crown from the mural at center, someone else pointed out that the shape of the spires were shaped like NC & SC.

Just now, qckgnc said:

I was thinking they could feature the crossed pattern from the flag in the center of the crest. I'm expecting the crown from the mural at center, someone else pointed out that the shape of the spires were shaped like NC & SC.

Placing a crown over St. Andrew's Cross would be awesome, I really wish Tepper would go for the city's crown and not some other style. I'm sure a more refined version of that crown will be the centerpiece of the identity, which is nice and why I think it'll be Crown FC. I'll take it, it's better than just Charlotte FC.

(You ever get that feeling where you type a word so often it loses meaning? That's happening to me with crown right now.)

1 minute ago, QCS said:

Placing a crown over St. Andrew's Cross would be awesome, I really wish Tepper would go for the city's crown and not some other style. I'm sure a more refined version of that crown will be the centerpiece of the identity, which is nice and why I think it'll be Crown FC. I'll take it, it's better than just Charlotte FC.

(You ever get that feeling where you type a word so often it loses meaning? That's happening to me with crown right now.)

Or when I say a word aloud too many times repeatedly. I would've preferred the city style crown as well, who know's, I'm sure being able to merchandise it played a role in using the city crown. 

3 minutes ago, qckgnc said:

Or when I say a word aloud too many times repeatedly. I would've preferred the city style crown as well, who know's, I'm sure being able to merchandise it played a role in using the city crown. 

Can't wait for 704Shop shirt with the city's crown in place of whatever the team uses. I'll be first in line for that one! 

But yeah, the city seems to be reluctant to lend it out to private businesses, but I feel like as long as royalties are appropriately distributed, Tepper could have a legitimate claim to use the city crown. By nature soccer is more local, making it perfect for the MLS team to use it.

1 minute ago, Magic Dynasty said:

“Here’s a bunch of unique names that the team could be named! Which one is your favorite? Town? Crown? Monarchs? Well too bad, we’re just going to be the seventh [City] FC”

Town is the only one that allows the fans to create their own identity for the club. Monarchs likely didnt go over well with RSL (who owns Real Monarchs) while Crown draws the same issue. We could be FC or Town and still use some royal imagery without being restricted to it. 

Archived