Charlotte FC announces name and logos

Waffles

47 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Since no other team in the league use both colors together, that'd be pretty unique.

It's not unique if it's copying the color scheme from the city's best-known sports team.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

It's not unique if it's copying the color scheme from the city's best-known sports team.

Oh, i don't know. Personally, I'd consider that an opportunity. I love it when a city's franchises share a common or related color scheme, like they do in Pittsburgh. Not many cities can do it. 

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Since no other team in the league use both colors together, that'd be pretty unique. I still know they're going to screw this up and calls themselves All Carolina. 

All Carolina’s already been eliminated.

ExJworW.png

8 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I like Gliders! I may be missing something obvious, but I can't remember the last new MLS team that wasn't some kind of United, Inter, FC, etc.

MLS has done a good job balancing Sounders, Whitecaps, Earthquakes among the Uniteds, FCs, and so on, but it's becoming a little lopsided toward basic City Name Club. I want to see a fun airplane crest.

I'm down on Gliders because it uses "Carolina" and doesn't have much to do with Charlotte itself. Leave airplane themed stuff for Atlanta or even Raleigh, it doesn't have much of a home in Charlotte.

the user formerly known as cdclt

They tweeted out another teaser today. 

EddWyAMWsAEQ6iz?format=jpg&name=360x360

Well, it's a circular badge with "Charlotte" on the top and some type of words ending in "Club" on the bottom. The "2022" looks to be close to the Panthers' blue.

Is something "gliding" in the top left of the video? I hope that's a red herring 🤦‍♂️

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

13 minutes ago, NightmareinParis said:

I'm guessing it will be just Charlotte FC at this point.

Yeah, the portion of the roundel we see clearly has the word "Charlotte" stretching across the top, and it looks like the tail end of "club" at the bottom. If that's the case, I'm not sure where the words "town" or "crown" or "athletic" would fit in that design. 

It's possible that there's a crown inside the roundel. So it could still be Charlotte Crown, only without the actual word involved. It would be an odd choice.

I'm also hopeful that the roundel isn't the actual badge worn on the jerseys. Inter Miami's set would be much better had they just used the shield/flamingo portion of the logo rather than the entire roundel on the jerseys.

Portland and New England are the only clubs in MLS that use a logo without words or letters. (Minnesota is so close with the MNUFC initials.) I wish more clubs would follow suit. 

If Charlotte is indeed going with Crown, then this would be a perfect opportunity to do so. 

They already signed up Ally Bank as shirt sponsor, right? Given that happened so early on and Ally uses purple so prominently, I wouldn't be surprised to see purple play a role in the brand, tail sorta wagging the dog. But maybe not!

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

27 minutes ago, NightmareinParis said:

Just a guess mockup:

spacer.png

That makes sense. The last letter in the sneak peak roundel is clearly a "B", and I don't think there's room for anything else but "Football Club."

Make they go by Charlotte Football Club instead of FC? That would be new and different. Though, also, kind of boring.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Yes and no. It won't be the most exciting name but the crest can make up for it in q major way. I'm definitely not in favor of just FC but it's the least divisive name of the bunch and allows fan input for the Club Identity.

The crown will be there for Charlotte regardless.

1 minute ago, Popmart said:

Forgive my ignorance, but was Charlotte Independence never in the cards? That name along with the Union and Revs would have made a great set of unique American names and historical references.

Charlotte Independence is a separate, pre-existing USL club under different ownership. 

I think the roundel panic is a bit overstated, maybe because that shape is so prevalent all over sports. But it’s not *that* overused in MLS. There are good ones like NYCFC, there are horribly unnecessary ones like Miami. 

That trend is not as bad as the early 2010s logo mandate of beveled shield shape with blue stripes.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Yes and no. It won't be the most exciting name but the crest can make up for it in q major way. I'm definitely not in favor of just FC but it's the least divisive name of the bunch and allows fan input for the Club Identity.

The crown will be there for Charlotte regardless.

Mockup posted by MCC in twitter.

Archived