Charlotte FC announces name and logos

Waffles

I actually liked the sound of All Carolina, so that’s unfortunate. Just get rid of Carolina Gliders, Charlotte FC, and Charlotte Town (you’re way too big to call yourselves a town) and the remaining choices are at least okay.

ExJworW.png

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I actually liked the sound of All Carolina, so that’s unfortunate. Just get rid of Carolina Gliders, Charlotte FC, and Charlotte Town (you’re way too big to call yourselves a town) and the remaining choices are at least okay.

holiday-inn-express-hotel.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

5 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Yeah forget the actual reason people want it. Charlotte Town FC references both Euro-style naming conventions and more importantly the original name of the city: Charlottetowne. It's easily the best name left and I really hope that's what they go with.

the user formerly known as cdclt

10 hours ago, QCS said:

Super glad All Carolina is out. Easily the worst choice and hopefully Carolina Gliders is next.

Am I missing something, or isn’t North Carolina known for being the birthplace of powered flight? I know the Wrights build gliders to test their flyer designs, but gliders at the time weren’t anything special. Naming the team the Gliders misses the point, so it should be eliminated. 

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

2 hours ago, Mingjai said:

Am I missing something, or isn’t North Carolina known for being the birthplace of powered flight? I know the Wrights build gliders to test their flyer designs, but gliders at the time weren’t anything special. Naming the team the Gliders misses the point, so it should be eliminated. 

My understanding is that they first achieved flight through trial and error, and that a lot of their contraptions had evolved from the hang glider itself. I've honestly not discussed or read about the topic since elementary school though.

Edit: did some googling, they started with Gliders and used their research to help figure out how to design an aircraft for powered flight. Still not feeling the name though.

8 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

This sign is from Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island.

That said, in my opinion, Charlotte Town FC is the best of the names amongst the candidates to potentially grace Charlotte's Major League Soccer team.    

Lol, I know. I feel like Charlottetown is already taken by PEI. That knocks it way down in my opinion.

Monarchs or bust.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On 7/10/2020 at 5:25 PM, Mingjai said:

Adding to this, Town appended to the geographic name is fairly common in English football: Grimsby Town, Huddersfield Town, Ipswich Town, Luten Town, Northampton Town, Swindon Town, etc.

If the MLS ends up with a Town FC and a City FC, all it would be missing would be a County FC.

Grimsby, Huddersfield, Ipswich, Luton, Northampton and Swindon are all actual towns, though. If Huddersfield became a city, they’d probably change the name to Huddersfield City (like how Swansea Town became Swansea City when that municipality gained city status).

This is my major complaint with Charlotte Town as a name — it’s a Euro-/Anglo-centric name that flies against that naming convention (as opposed to a lot of those names that simply kinda disregard the naming convention).

6fQjS3M.png

20 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

Grimsby, Huddersfield, Ipswich, Luton, Northampton and Swindon are all actual towns, though. If Huddersfield became a city, they’d probably change the name to Huddersfield City (like how Swansea Town became Swansea City when that municipality gained city status).

This is my major complaint with Charlotte Town as a name — it’s a Euro-/Anglo-centric name that flies against that naming convention (as opposed to a lot of those names that simply kinda disregard the naming convention).

My only thing is, why be so serious about the name of a team? I love the faux Euro vibe because it comes across more tongue in cheek while having actual reference to the city. The way it was done in Salt Lake, Orlando, or Detroit are examples that do seem try-hard to me. Orlando Pride would have been perfect for the men's team and still tied into the Lion theme. Salt Lake City SC sounds so much better. I have nothing for Detroit but I remember a Detroit Premier concept over on the other boards and that name always stuck with me. I would prefer AFC instead of FC though. 

9 hours ago, Mingjai said:

My big problem with it is it uses "Carolina" but the Gliders part might be a reference to the first plane? Not sure, honestly.

1 hour ago, crashcarson15 said:

I think it still works in this case because Charlotte once was Charlottetowne, and that's the reference first and foremost. The Euro-style name is a lucky coincidence. 

2 hours ago, nash61 said:

Lol, I know. I feel like Charlottetown is already taken by PEI. That knocks it way down in my opinion.

Monarchs or bust.

Well, there is a Charlottetowne Avenue in Charlotte, and the city was incorporated as Charlottetowne, so it's not like PEI was unique in their name.

In terms of the start date getting pushed back a year, I wonder if they'd gotten to the point where the 2021 uniforms and accessories that change every season (jackets, etc.) were designed or even put into production? Would they just carry over the uniform designs into 2022 even if one or both are out of sync with whatever Adidas's templates are at that point?

3 hours ago, Waffles said:

In terms of the start date getting pushed back a year, I wonder if they'd gotten to the point where the 2021 uniforms and accessories that change every season (jackets, etc.) were designed or even put into production? Would they just carry over the uniform designs into 2022 even if one or both are out of sync with whatever Adidas's templates are at that point?

i'd imagine production hasn't started on those things, so they'll probably just redesign on the 2022 templates, maybe taking elements from things that have already been designed and signed off on. 

Another name off the list.

A bit disappointed to see Monarchs go, it was the second-best after Town but I suspect Real Salt Lake had something to do with it. Hopefully Charlotte FC and Carolina Gliders join it crossed out soon.

I get the disappointment in the newest expansion teams delaying their start, but as a Nashville SC fan that has watched the struggle of trying to become established amid all of this uncertainty, I'd say that it's the correct call. 

1 hour ago, QCS said:

Another name off the list.

A bit disappointed to see Monarchs go, it was the second-best after Town but I suspect Real Salt Lake had something to do with it. Hopefully Charlotte FC and Carolina Gliders join it crossed out soon.

Yeah Charlotte FC would be by far the lamest of those left available. Gliders is a little out there too, but I kind of dig it in a weird way and would be interested in seeing the crest for that.  That said, my gut tells me that Gliders and FC are all but eliminated, leaving either Town, Crown or Athletic as the final choice. I think all of those just sound the most "right" and any of them would make for a really good name. 

spacer.png

I've been hoping that either Charlotte Town FC or Charlotte Athletic FC would be selected as the team's name since the list of eight potential identities was finalized.

Charlotte Town FC is my absolute favorite by a pretty significant margin. I like the fact that it pays homage to the name colloquially bestowed upon the community by its 18th century settlers. As for Charlotte Athletic FC, being someone who has long maintained that Major League Soccer should feature a blend of team naming conventions (resurrected US and Canadian pro soccer legacy brands, other North American-style place name/nickname combos, and international-style monikers), the name would be a welcome alternative to simply slapping an FC, a United, or both beside a place name.

The rest of the identities on the list do nothing for me. All Carolina FC and Carolina Gliders FC strike me as asinine. Charlotte FC is bland. Charlotte Fortune FC sounds clunky. As for Charlotte Crown FC and Charlotte Monarchs FC, I feel that Real Salt Lake - no matter how poorly branded - has beaten Charlotte's MLS squad to the punch when it comes to a royalty-themed name.

So, here's hoping for Charlotte Town FC - or, barring that, Charlotte Athletic FC - with a crown element as a feature of the badge.         

12 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

I've been hoping that either Charlotte Town FC or Charlotte Athletic FC would be selected as the team's name since the list of eight potential identities was finalized.

Charlotte Town FC is my absolute favorite by a pretty significant margin. I like the fact that it pays homage to the name colloquially bestowed upon the community by its 18th century settlers. As for Charlotte Athletic FC, being someone who has long maintained that Major League Soccer should feature a blend of team naming conventions (resurrected US and Canadian pro soccer legacy brands, other North American-style place name/nickname combos, and international-style monikers), the name would be a welcome alternative to simply slapping an FC, a United, or both beside a place name.

The rest of the identities on the list do nothing for me. All Carolina FC and Carolina Gliders FC strike me as asinine. Charlotte FC is bland. Charlotte Fortune FC sounds clunky. As for Charlotte Crown FC and Charlotte Monarchs FC, I feel that Real Salt Lake - no matter how poorly branded - has beaten Charlotte's MLS squad to the punch when it comes to a royalty-themed name.

So, here's hoping for Charlotte Town FC - or, barring that, Charlotte Athletic FC - with a crown element as a feature of the badge.         

I agree with you for the most part. But I'm not as bothered by the league having more than one royal-themed club. And I like it even more because Charlotte Crown is substantially better, and makes far more sense, than Real Salt Lake. It's my favorite of the names that remain.

I like Gliders! I may be missing something obvious, but I can't remember the last new MLS team that wasn't some kind of United, Inter, FC, etc.

MLS has done a good job balancing Sounders, Whitecaps, Earthquakes among the Uniteds, FCs, and so on, but it's becoming a little lopsided toward basic City Name Club. I want to see a fun airplane crest.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, henburg said:

I get the disappointment in the newest expansion teams delaying their start, but as a Nashville SC fan that has watched the struggle of trying to become established amid all of this uncertainty, I'd say that it's the correct call. 

Yeah Charlotte FC would be by far the lamest of those left available. Gliders is a little out there too, but I kind of dig it in a weird way and would be interested in seeing the crest for that.  That said, my gut tells me that Gliders and FC are all but eliminated, leaving either Town, Crown or Athletic as the final choice. I think all of those just sound the most "right" and any of them would make for a really good name. 

my fave four were: (in no partucular order) town, crown, monarchs and athletic.

I kind of like town/crown the most because I like the idea of referring to them as either 'the town" or "the crown".

charlotte fc is just plain boring and unoriginal, gliders isn't bad necessarily just not nearly as good as the others.

I just wish teams would try a little harder than "city fc" or "city united" like they thought about it for more than 5 minutes.

On 7/16/2020 at 1:29 PM, sc49erfan15 said:

Great, Hornets colors.

If it's teal and purple I'm going to be disappointed. Teal and purple are great for the Hornets, but they've got a chance to really do something unique here. Make it your own, don't copy another local team's color scheme.

Since no other team in the league use both colors together, that'd be pretty unique. I still know they're going to screw this up and calls themselves All Carolina. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived