Charlotte FC announces name and logos

Waffles

2 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

That all said, the name and colors are a bit disappointing. I was really hoping for Charlotte Town, and I worry the colors look a little too close to Montreal and San Jose. Perhaps if the blue was a little more electric or closer to Panthers blue, it’d be a bit more distinct. Overall the identity is okay, but could’ve done more to really separate itself from the rest of the league.

That is Panthers blue. I was also hoping for Town but I can live with this, I'm just glad it's not "Carolina". I'm hoping in the future both the Panthers and now CFC get an update to brighten the blue, that would be nice. Hopefully the kits will have some nice accent colors, do any MLS teams use pinstripes? I'm thinking that could be a nice touch for Charlotte to use.

the user formerly known as cdclt

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, QCS said:

That is Panthers blue. I was also hoping for Town but I can live with this, I'm just glad it's not "Carolina". I'm hoping in the future both the Panthers and now CFC get an update to brighten the blue, that would be nice. Hopefully the kits will have some nice accent colors, do any MLS teams use pinstripes? I'm thinking that could be a nice touch for Charlotte to use.

They play a different sport, sure, but blue and black with pinstripes is firmly stepping into Magic territory.

ExJworW.png

1 minute ago, Magic Dynasty said:

They play a different sport, sure, but blue and black with pinstripes is firmly stepping into Magic territory.

Not if they're done the Hornets style, with four large ones instead of a more classic pinstripe style. That's what I'm hoping for, I'd like to see the team recognize the Hornets and maybe make a little nod to them.

the user formerly known as cdclt

They could really salvage the color scheme relative to the league if they go with all blue as a primary kit. It's a little odd that there are plenty of navy shirts and plenty of sky/powder shirts, but no team has done the Chelsea-style simple blue since the Impact ditched it early on. Montreal and San Jose have both let their color balance drift to mostly black, to their detriment IMO. That leaves an opening for Charlotte, and their take on middle blue is more attractive than that electric royal blue that the latter two use, to boot.

4 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

The Magic do not have territory in Major League Soccer.

I get that it's underwhelming because it's safe (a roundel with the team name and a single centered image) and just "Cityname FC" is everybody else too, but think the details are unique enough to keep it from feeling generic or bland. The typeface is not common for modern sports, using "Minted" is a nice touch that you don't see anywhere else, and the colors do match the city. Also, I actually do really like the classic feel of the secondary logo.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

26 minutes ago, QCS said:

That is Panthers blue.

That is? My screen must be off then; that looks awfully close to royal blue on my end. It doesn’t look to have that same “pop” I associate with Panthers’ blue. Hopefully it’ll look brighter on kits and other applications.

EDIT: Switched from phone to laptop, and I’ll be damned. :P That’s a little better! I’m a little more hopeful now that it’s going to pop a bit more on field than in these graphics.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

With "Minted 2022" being a part of the identity, why didn't they jump on the opportunity to use mint? Would've been able to own a unique color in both the MLS and all of professional American sports while simultaneously creating a clever brand referencing Charlotte's history. Mint and, say, a dark purple or even just navy or black was right there, but I guess we get a third blue/black MLS team.

Y'all know this is just my opinion, right?

48 minutes ago, WideRight said:

I am trying to think if I have ever seen a soccer crest that contained a crown where the crown is not above the shield/rondel.

Cvkl2Wz.png

38 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

They should have placed the secondary logo inside the roundel, and topped it with a crown

2AuBOzc.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

1 minute ago, Survival79 said:

2AuBOzc.png

Close. I'd use a bigger, wider crown, and I'd drop all the words. It's just too much noise, and a mark should be able to stand on its own without needing verbiage to over explain it. 

This is... bland. It’s pretty disappointing that they had such an elaborate name-the-team unveiling only to come up with the blandest and most common name. You’ll never do anything laughably bad if you go Cityname FC but it was a missed opportunity of choosing something a bit more unique and locally relevant. I’m pretty disappointed by the color scheme too, there’s already 2 MLS blue/black teams and the blue could have been a bit closer to electric. What’s the point of putting  “Minted” on the crest if you don’t reference it at all on the team name and you go with unrelated colors simply because the owner owns the primary tenant of the stadium? They could have tied up “Minted” and the reference to the mint with mint or dollar bill green, instead it’s just there as a reference without having any part in steering the identity. The crest is fine I guess, I hope the use the CLT more. They had a blank slate in which to create something unique and instantly recognizable as Charlotte  but wholly independent from other teams and instead they went bland Panthers knockoff

07Giants.pngnyy.png

It’s not bad, objectively. It’s just incredibly boring. Not to mention blue and black is so tired, especially in the MLS. That monogram is really good, and should’ve been at the center of this branding. That’s a missed opportunity.

6 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

2AuBOzc.png

With the FC in the roundel I’d consider dropping the Football Club a the bottom and moving minted 2022 there instead of cramping them on the side. Or they could have added a Town, Athletic or Crown there.Though I think the crown needs to be wider and the base should be switched from moving downwards to upwards.  How would the crown look directly on top of the C in the monogram? 

07Giants.pngnyy.png

It's pretty average. I know they're trying to form a connection with the Panthers, but I don't think we need another light blue or blue and black team in the league. The name is even more of a buzzkill.

31 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

2AuBOzc.png

I don't have the skill , but I would cut out the outside roundel altogether (so it's just the monogram), make the crown bigger, and then :censored: it to the side, evoking something like this:

biggie_screenshot-.png?1515099669&s=a485

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

24 minutes ago, BryanSmalls said:

Hopes dashed. Close to the end of the pack if best.

You're joking right? It's middle of the pack at worst. I really like what they did here, the monogram at the center if the roundel concepts are fantastic and do make me wish they went in that direction but it's a really solid set. I'm a fan. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Archived