CBS Brand Refresh

Clintau24

On 10/9/2020 at 7:37 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Thanks for trying to help. But I see the article only through the sentence that ends "...while also paying tribute to visual and audio elements from its 91-year history."

After that is the prompt to register or sign in.

Ad-Week-screenshot.png

So no jingle.

But I found it on this page:

https://brief.promax.org/article/cbs-freshens-iconic-brand-for-streaming-age

It is the same tune as the stinger that you posted, but without the sustain. I like it.

So I say well done all around for CBS.

The CBS Eye without the eyeball reminds me of the Oakley logo.

• 7 months later...

The refresh continues as they just rebranded CBS This Morning to CBS Mornings. Much of the graphics and music not only align with the synergy of what's seen around the TV show promos and CBS Sports, but also with Sunday Morning, including hints of the classic theme in this revised one for CBS Mornings. Here's a small look at the new graphics.

spacer.png

Also, the transparent CBS bug on the left looks like a permanent change. It was there when I was watching The Price is Right later in the day as opposed to it's usual SD-safe position on the right hand side

• Like 1

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

They can't figure out what to do with their morning show, can they? This has been a problem of theirs for like 25 years now. I like that Sunday Morning has endured as a relic of the old CBS, the stodgy old network that still aspires to be an edifying cultural institution, but I don't think you can extend the brand to the entire week. Nate Burleson is not exactly either of the hosts named Charles.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 1 year later...

I think the ABC Affiliate WJLA (Channel 7) in DC does this too. They own Channel 8 which became "News Channel 8" a localized DC area News Station and they shared a news team. I think now the channel is called WJLA 24/7 News and that is the shared name of the news on WJLA proper.

On 1/6/2023 at 8:47 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

Interesting... both KCAL and KCBS' news divisions have been rebranded to KCAL News

https://www.newscaststudio.com/2023/01/05/kcal-news-cbs-2-news-la-branding/

This reminds me of one of the funniest moments from my time as a news reporter.

I was working for a small-town Gannett affiliate paper in 2021. That fall, students from the local high school walked-out and staged a protest over faculty not properly handling bullying, racism, etc. within the school. I talked to the kids, staff, school admins, etc., wrote about it, then the story got posted to our facebook page where it spread like wildfire in the community (you can imagine the type of "discussions" being had, but that's not the point). In my mind, it was just another story and was moving on to my next assignment.

That afternoon I get a phone call from a TV Reporter, saying he had reached out to the Sheriff's office to confirm the details and was wondering where I got my sources. I rarely got calls like that, if ever, so I asked where he was calling from. He said "Oh sorry, I'm with KCAL in Los Angeles. I know it's a bit strange, but you can find me on Twitter, LinkedIn, verify me on there, etc.".

I replied "uh, sir, I'm in Lancaster, OHIO, not Lancaster, CALIFORNIA." (Quick note for those who don't know, Lancaster,  OH is pronounced LANG-kis-terr, as opposed to the wrong way). 

Dude went silent before I heard him say ".... you're s****ing me."

We had a good laugh about it lol.

• LOL 4

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

On 1/6/2023 at 7:47 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

Interesting... both KCAL and KCBS' news divisions have been rebranded to KCAL News

This isn't gonna cause confusion in the marketplace at all.

Local duopolies were a bad idea. I'll die on that hill.

• Like 3

On 1/6/2023 at 7:47 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

Perhaps CBS has plans to sell the station in the not too distant future. It helps if people are used to it no longer being KCBS. i'm sure it will stay a CBS affiliate, but it would be weird for KCBS to be named for someone who no longer owns it

• 3 weeks later...

Egad. A merger of big companies can really produce some awfully clunky names when both sides insist that their full names be included.  The name Paramount Plus with Showtime is even worse than the names NBCUniversal, Sirius XM, Warner Bros. Discovery, and ExxonMobil. That name sinks to the level of the mess of a name that resulted from the merger of the accounting firms Price Waterhouse and Coopers & Lybrand, the profoundly hideous PricewaterhouseCoopers.  

• Like 2

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

19 hours ago, Indigo said:

Why not "Paramount Showtime" or "Paramount + Showtime"?

I swear, CEOs and large companies are much dumber than we give them credit for.

I can promise this sums up the conversation that was had.

Marketing Department: "Just call it Paramount Showtime. Don't overthink this."

Executives: "The market will adjust to the name we want."

• LOL 4