CBS Brand Refresh

Clintau24

CBS has apparently set their "first ever brand refresh" across the entire company. Here's the AdWeek article: https://www.adweek.com/tv-video/cbs-sets-first-ever-companywide-brand-refresh-to-become-relevant-to-today/

Logo set:

unified-logos-cbs-CONTENT-2020.jpg

(kinda sad to see the CBS Sports box removed)

And they made some jingle, I guess to finally compete with NBC's historic chimes?

• Like 4

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

A good overall look — except, as you mentioned, for the loss of the box for CBS Sports. The look is clean and modern, while still being strong and respectable.

One place where these new logos will not be seen (or will not be seen for long) is the CBS All Access streaming service. I was very saddened to read that CBS All Access will be changing its name to Paramount+. For a streaming service to abandon one of the greatest names in television for a name more closely associated with movies seems like a bad move.

Anyway, this is definitely an upgrade.

But what's this about a jingle?

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I actully like the top left the best - they could have built the brand around that.  There's nothing wrong with the new ones, it's just that there's nothing really distinctive.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Is it possible that one of the Big Three television networks in America has such depth and breadth that trying to force the identities of all its divisions into one template isn't a good idea? Does it compromise the integrity of a broadcasting institution if CBS News uses a different font from CBS Sports? Will people be confused or think less of them? They have the logo, that should be enough. 

CBS set in Bodoni just looks right, and I've never cared for the minimalist update to CBS Sports. I feel like the old logo resisted updates for so long that it was in the clear and could be left alone. Ah well.

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

It's embedded towards the bottom of the article, underneath the "Continue Reading" button. I wanted to embed it here, but it wouldn't allow that.

The article refers to it as a "five-note mnemonic melody."

Additionally, the “This is CBS” mnemonic will be featured on CBS programming that airs on other platforms, like Netflix, which last week began airing the first seasons of the network’s Evil and The Unicorn.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

2 hours ago, Clintau24 said:
7 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

It's embedded towards the bottom of the article, underneath the "Continue Reading" button.

I am hitting a paywall before I see any button.

So I guess I will try to search for the jingle elsewhere.

3 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I am hitting a paywall before I see any button.

So I guess I will try to search for the jingle elsewhere.

https://www.adweek.com/tv-video/cbs-sets-first-ever-companywide-brand-refresh-to-become-relevant-to-today/

Jingle near the bottom

Personally I prefer this jingle

• Like 1

Signature intentionally left blank

1 hour ago, Dilbert said:

Thanks for trying to help. But I see the article only through the sentence that ends "...while also paying tribute to visual and audio elements from its 91-year history."

After that is the prompt to register or sign in.

Ad-Week-screenshot.png

So no jingle.

But I found it on this page:

https://brief.promax.org/article/cbs-freshens-iconic-brand-for-streaming-age

It is the same tune as the stinger that you posted, but without the sustain. I like it.

So I say well done all around for CBS.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 3:41 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

A good overall look — except, as you mentioned, for the loss of the box for CBS Sports. The look is clean and modern, while still being strong and respectable.

One place where these new logos will not be seen (or will not be seen for long) is the CBS All Access streaming service. I was very saddened to read that CBS All Access will be changing its name to Paramount+. For a streaming service to abandon one of the greatest names in television for a name more closely associated with movies seems like a bad move.

logo wise the update is cohesive, not that I ever will see it since we don't have CBS over here.

Paramount+ is already a thing internationally (it's also right at home with Disney+ and AppleTV+ streaming services)

Most people outside North America don't know CBS or the Eye, while the imagery of the "Paramount" mountain and stars is well known, even if it's primary from movies.

This is probably the least offensive "brand refresh" I've seen in quite some time.  I actually like it for what it is.  It's not trying to be anything it's not, while remaining simple, easily readable, and classy.  I can dig it.

(Now Casey's, on the other hand...)

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 10/9/2020 at 2:34 PM, the admiral said:

Is it possible that one of the Big Three television networks in America has such depth and breadth that trying to force the identities of all its divisions into one template isn't a good idea? Does it compromise the integrity of a broadcasting institution if CBS News uses a different font from CBS Sports? Will people be confused or think less of them? They have the logo, that should be enough. 

CBS set in Bodoni just looks right, and I've never cared for the minimalist update to CBS Sports. I feel like the old logo resisted updates for so long that it was in the clear and could be left alone. Ah well.

In the example above, the thin strokes in the Didot/Bodoni font virtually disappear, even at a larger size. For this type to work, it would have to be redrawn so those strokes are thicker.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

On 10/9/2020 at 8:41 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I think changing the name to Paramount+ is a great move. CBS All Access reads to me that it is just a place to go stream old and current CBS shows, which isnt even completely true since their most sucessful show of the last decade in Big Bang Theory is actually distributed by Warner Bros so its on HBOMax (which that has an entirely different branding mess). Now that CBS and Viacom are one company again, it makes sense to have your premium streaming service be named after a highly recognizable brand that showcases it provides more than just tv shows. CBS All Access might have more than tv shows for all i know, but since I dont watch any current CBS programing outside of sports I never had any desire to even look into if that service offered something I like.

• Like 1

I didn't know that one in the upper left was still being used? I'm certain I've seen the top right thing for the past year.

In regards to the jingle, I don't know if NBC was the first "successful" jingle (likely not, but it's the biggest example I could think of), but I've notice a lot of brands are now really pushing some sort of "sound" to associate with their brands on their commercials and it's incredibly annoying.

For a long time Sonic had some sort of sound on their commercials, and now it's been updated for some reason, which is weird thing that company actually spent money on.

I haven't seen a commercial without Charlie Puth in like 6 months, so I have no idea if Subway still uses that awful "neon light, but it's dying" sound.

Now Rocket Mortgage has some unnecesary two notes at the beginning of each of their commercials.

There are a bunch of other brands who do this and I have no idea why it's become "a thing"

It seems like every brand is going single color and sans serif fonts for their brandings these days. It's too safe and even boring at a certain point. I like the look, but I think we're getting close to the point where design shifts back the other way. You can't stand out in the marketplace by doing the same thing everyone else does. At some point, some company will bring back a gradient or complex color scheme or different font and things will trend in that direction. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...