Podcast logo I'm working on.

builtbymachines

I figured since the logo doesn’t directly include sports I would put this here and get some feedback...

A few buddies of mine located here in the suburbs of New Jersey started a podcast and mentioned that they would be interested in changing / upgrading their logo.

The name of the podcast is Talk of the City.

I haven’t exactly listened to a whole lot of their stuff but I know they mostly talk Philly sports, music, beer. Basically a variety of topics.

Onto the progression of my concept, but first I do have a disclaimer:

The images used in my work-in-progress version(s) come from a site called www.thenounproject.com

They are not officially licensed to me as of yet. They are strictly being used by me for conceptual purposes at this moment and I take no credit with the actual creation of any specific design. I only take credit for minor tweaks, resizing, positioning etc... so I hope that’s clear. If I do go forward with using any of the items for their official logo, I will take the proper steps in the copyright process.

——————
Okay with that out of the way let’s start with their current logo:

(I’m pretty sure they’re going to want to stick with the colors, so that’s not something I’m going to change.)

spacer.png

——————
My concept
01 - With Headphones

spacer.png
——————
My concept
02 - Without Headphones

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good, but something that occurred to me is to simplify things a bit and put the skyline (or just a more specific building or two) in the pill shape of the microphone, with those old timey vertical hash marks on the top and bottom. It may have a more immediate read as a podcast for the viewer.

Philadelphia's tallest building should be included in any skyline view, no?

comcast-technology-center-foster-and-par

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

There are 5 main buildings that should be part of any Philadelphia skyline silhouette.  There's obviously more than 5 really tall buildings, but there's 5 that always appear together. Their old logo kinda has 4 of them (granted, the biggest one is only a few years old.)

Liberty Place (One and Two Liberty):

One-Liberty-Place-by-flickr-user-ryanosh

Mellon Center:

0131_TS_REBO.jpg

Comcast Center (left) and Comcast Technology Center (right):

comcast-buildings-skyline-1100x456.jpg

EDIT:  really sucks that Phila banned skyscrapers until the late '80s - and that our grid is so perfectly blockish.  Really hindered our vertical development, and makes it so most of the buildings are shaped really wide on their north-south sides and narrow on the east-west.  Also can't build above a modest heighe anywhere near the historic stuff.

FWIW, the CTC is the tallest building in the US outside of NYC and Chicago. If Covid doesn't kill demand for office buildings forever, there's shovels ready to go in the ground west of the Schuylkill river to build what would essentially be a 2nd skyline, and an even taller tallest building.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

As a Philadelphian, I know a lot of us absolutely hate the look of the Comcast Technology Center (or "the middle finger") and I really don't mind it not being included in a logo of the skyline. Liberty One/Two and the Mellon center are the most iconic philly skyscrapers, and the other iconic buildings are all smaller (city hall, PECO, etc).

Also I know this is not the point but I kinda hate the direction Philly development is going. All the new big buildings have ugly logos on them (FMC, WSFS) , and I hate the fact that they're building up west philly even more. FMC Tower is especially heartbreaking, and breaks up the skyline in a way I really don't like

tinysig.jpg

1 hour ago, Jake3roo said:

Also I know this is not the point but I kinda hate the direction Philly development is going. All the new big buildings have ugly logos on them (FMC, WSFS) , and I hate the fact that they're building up west philly even more. FMC Tower is especially heartbreaking, and breaks up the skyline in a way I really don't like

No building in center city is permitted to have a logo on it if it's over a certain height.  Some of the early renders for Comcast 1 had the logo on it but that got nixed.  The WSFS and Roberts center aren't really tall enough to make a difference.  PNC has also had a logo on theirs forever, granted it's mostly obfuscated by the surrounding towers.  Also while I'm normally against logos on buildings that will appear in photographs, I like how they integrated the W into the new dual-hotel tower (at least on the south side.  They basically decided to leave the north side unfinished.)

As for UCity, have you seen both projects (Schuylkill Yards and U City Square)?  They're going to be amazing, and basically give us a second skyline.

If you don't like CTC that's fine, but it's hard to exclude a city's tallest building if including all the others.  You either go with just Liberty 1 and 2, or all 5.  My personal fav is the BAT, but it never gets any love since it was #4 for the longest time (now 6).

45 minutes ago, EddieJ1984 said:

Also as a Philadelphian, it is such a shame that the comcast building are so brutal looking.

Skyscraper design peaked in the mid-late 80s clearly.

If you're talking specifically about Philadelphia's buildings, then I can understand why you think that (even though I don't agree.)  If you're talking about highrise/supertall architecture in general, you couldn't be more wrong.

On 11/25/2020 at 10:23 AM, BBTV said:

If you're talking specifically about Philadelphia's buildings, then I can understand why you think that (even though I don't agree.)  If you're talking about highrise/supertall architecture in general, you couldn't be more wrong.

Yea, more of what Philadelphia did, still inspired by older art deco buildings.

Fox Plaza builldng in LA is very average looking and was done around the same time.

Archived