Revisiting the California Soccer League! (SERIES FINALE)

TheGiantsFan

Southern Division

Temecula SC

Temecula, California

Founded: 2013

50960821242_1975899ee4_o.png

Here's another rare instance of a real-life team being included in the CSL2. Temecula FC is a team within the fourth-tier National Premier Soccer League, and their Tottenham-style quail crest was just too good not to include in my league.

I redrew the existing Temecula quail-on-a-ball and put it into a new shield resembling a wine glass, as Temecula Valley is famous for its wineries. I darkened the red into a classier wine color, and I moved the team name out of the shield into its own banner. 

The home kit is a simple wine-colored kit with a diagonal sash taken from the Temecula city flag, and there are some sublimated grapevines on the sash. For its annual clash kit, Temecula SC crowdsources its kit design to residents of the cities of southern Riverside County (which also includes Hemet, Lake Elsinore, Menifee, Murrieta, among others): the 2019 kit represents Lake Elsinore and its massive "Superbloom" of spring 2019, with the kit consisting of a orange and purple blooms. The kits are supplied by Nike, and the sponsor is the Temecula Valley Winegrowers Association.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, the league is going greatly. That is very unique and honestly very american, because I don't see European teams going with the style of some logos/jerseys you have here. But that's not bad at all. I'm completely in love with the most "traditional" ones, like El Centro, Roses AFC and Visalia SC.

Apart from that, I got sticked by two things.

First. Your templates kind of aged, and I know it's not your fault, because you're using Raysox template as is and, despite of being top notch artwork, in my mind, it kinds of downsize the league, because it makes me wonder: Why all these excellent teams are wearing repurposed jerseys from 2012-2014? Maybe if you tweaked the template a little, at least to match the 2018-19 choices for the biggest sides in the world, or maybe release future updates, this would feel better. Here's a link that you can use as reference.

Second. The Adidas sidepanels. Oh how much I cringe them. It's a minor, really minor detail, but it's eating me alive.

This is how you're doing.

KCJGWXX.png

And this is how Adidas do it, all the way to the hem.

IcnreEJ.png

They way you do it reminds me of old timey MS-Paint paint-bucket concepts, sorry.

On 2/20/2021 at 3:47 AM, JohnnyRfl said:

So, the league is going greatly. That is very unique and honestly very american, because I don't see European teams going with the style of some logos/jerseys you have here. But that's not bad at all. I'm completely in love with the most "traditional" ones, like El Centro, Roses AFC and Visalia SC.

Apart from that, I got sticked by two things.

First. Your templates kind of aged, and I know it's not your fault, because you're using Raysox template as is and, despite of being top notch artwork, in my mind, it kinds of downsize the league, because it makes me wonder: Why all these excellent teams are wearing repurposed jerseys from 2012-2014? Maybe if you tweaked the template a little, at least to match the 2018-19 choices for the biggest sides in the world, or maybe release future updates, this would feel better. Here's a link that you can use as reference.

Second. The Adidas sidepanels. Oh how much I cringe them. It's a minor, really minor detail, but it's eating me alive.

This is how you're doing.

KCJGWXX.png

And this is how Adidas do it, all the way to the hem.

IcnreEJ.png

They way you do it reminds me of old timey MS-Paint paint-bucket concepts, sorry.

I actually didn't realize that the cuts on the soccer jerseys have changed since then, but honestly it would be way too much of an ordeal for me to change the templates after already making 60+ teams. When I first did my hand-drawn concepts in 2015, I always looked up to this Raysox template because of its simple and easy-to-use look. Now that I have the design skills to use Illustrator, I'm very satisfied about finally using these templates and having a deeper focus on the design details. I may try to figure out an updated soccer template for a future series, but that is honestly a really low priority for me at this point.

I never would have thought that someone would notice the side panels because it's such a minor issue, but I have edited my two Adidas CSL2 teams with extended side panels and will continue to use those going forward. However, I will not update the 16 CSL Adidas teams because that will take too much time for me to fix just a minor problem.

I'm sorry that you aren't satisfied with the way I'm making this series, but this "MS Paint paintbucket" style of concepts is serving me very well. My main focus with these concepts is to give these California team a localized and unique identity, even if it's in a format or style that doesn't satisfy everyone.

To move this conversation forward, I'm genuinely curious what specifically makes these logos and kits more "American" instead of European. My crests take inspiration from real-life crests from all over the world, mixed in with some traditionally American-style nicknames for the team name. 

---

Western Division

Palo Alto Colliders

Palo Alto, California

Founded: 1990

50964321907_7f533ab505_o.png

The focal point of Palo Alto's CSL2 team is the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, which is used by Stanford researchers for some intense physics stuff that I will never understand. I took an Albuquerque Isotopes direction with this team (shoutout to @woody86 for the suggestion!), with the crest consisting of an atom in motion like the baseball in the Dodgers logo. The name "Colliders" comes from the types of research done at SLAC, which involves atom collisions at the speed of light. Stanford University colors find their way into the Colliders' color scheme, although a pinker, more "science-looking" color is the primary color.

The home kit is a pink/cardinal gradient jersey that highlights the atom in motion. The clash kit references El Palo Alto, the 110-foot tall redwood tree that gives the city (whose name means "tall stick" in Spanish) its name; the vertical stripes reference the aerial footprint of the 2-mile long SLAC. The kits are supplied by New Balance, and the sponsor is Hewlett-Packard (which had its beginnings in a Palo Alto garage).

3 hours ago, TheGiantsFan said:

I actually didn't realize that the cuts on the soccer jerseys have changed since then, but honestly it would be way too much of an ordeal for me to change the templates after already making 60+ teams. When I first did my hand-drawn concepts in 2015, I always looked up to this Raysox template because of its simple and easy-to-use look. Now that I have the design skills to use Illustrator, I'm very satisfied about finally using these templates and having a deeper focus on the design details. I may try to figure out an updated soccer template for a future series, but that is honestly a really low priority for me at this point.

I never would have thought that someone would notice the side panels because it's such a minor issue, but I have edited my two Adidas CSL2 teams with extended side panels and will continue to use those going forward. However, I will not update the 16 CSL Adidas teams because that will take too much time for me to fix just a minor problem.

I'm sorry that you aren't satisfied with the way I'm making this series, but this "MS Paint paintbucket" style of concepts is serving me very well. My main focus with these concepts is to give these California team a localized and unique identity, even if it's in a format or style that doesn't satisfy everyone.

To move this conversation forward, I'm genuinely curious what specifically makes these logos and kits more "American" instead of European. My crests take inspiration from real-life crests from all over the world, mixed in with some traditionally American-style nicknames for the team name. 

I do understand the "lifespan of an uniform" is slower in the Big Four leagues than Association Football (where teams get two four new uniforms every year), so it's quite understandable that you haven't noticed that. As your own words say, You don't need to satisfy anyone but yourself with your concepts, and you're free to accept or not the opinions of everyone else. Obviously, I wasn't commenting to devalue your artwork (more like to get it more realistic), and also I don't believe you need to rework your entire concept for minor details like the age of the template and a line that isn't covered. It's nothing more than some suggestions, based on personal view, from something that follows somewhat closely the new release of European/Latin-American Association Football kits. There is no need to make that retroactive. Those suggestions could (or not) be considered from now on.

Regarding what I was saying about logos, to clarify even further, there are clearly differences between the "Traditional" and the "American" Style. Some of them, like Roses AFC, Deportivo El Centro and most recently Temecula SC would fit nicely in the "traditional" style, while other are clearly unmatched in Latin/European football, like Monterey's unique, California-relatable format and Real San Diego "modern" Crown, opposed to the heraldic style of crowns in Spanish "Real" team logos. But the differences are most noticeable in the names. I'm not saying the American style is wrong or worse. But I (personally) wouldn't be pleased if teams from the Association Football "most powerful nations" modified their logos dropping their identities for new ones, more "commercial", with nicknames and "modernized" names (as I heavily disliked the rebrands for PSG, Juventus and most recently Internazionale). But being this a league based in United States, it's pretty understandable.

A perfect case to use as an example is the Salinas CF. The old version emphasized better the idea of the "Club de Fútbol", as it reminded me a lot of Latin-American team crests, with its stripes that easily relate to other striped logos, like Banfield, Racing de Avellaneda, Peñarol and Santos FC. The new concept put that idea to the sideline, taking inspiration to something that looks unrelated to Association Football at the first, the papel picado, and relying on a big S, like a Baseball logo. Other clearly "americanized" concept is Atlético San Jose. When we think about Atlético, in a traditional understanding, we imply the word "Club" before it, like in Spanish Club Atlético de Madrid, Mexican Club Atlético San Luis, Uruguayan Club Atlético Peñarol and so on. So, if we are considering the traditional understanding, CASJ would be the acronym of choice. Deportivo El Centro, Real San Diego and Sporting San Francisco are the other teams that drops implied words (as in [Real] Club Deportivo La Coruña and Sporting Club de Portugal).

It doesn't mean that is wrong. There's nothing like right or wrong on it. It only means that we're looking from different perspectives.

On 2/20/2021 at 8:15 PM, JohnnyRfl said:

Regarding what I was saying about logos, to clarify even further, there are clearly differences between the "Traditional" and the "American" Style. Some of them, like Roses AFC, Deportivo El Centro and most recently Temecula SC would fit nicely in the "traditional" style, while other are clearly unmatched in Latin/European football, like Monterey's unique, California-relatable format and Real San Diego "modern" Crown, opposed to the heraldic style of crowns in Spanish "Real" team logos. But the differences are most noticeable in the names. I'm not saying the American style is wrong or worse. But I (personally) wouldn't be pleased if teams from the Association Football "most powerful nations" modified their logos dropping their identities for new ones, more "commercial", with nicknames and "modernized" names (as I heavily disliked the rebrands for PSG, Juventus and most recently Internazionale). But being this a league based in United States, it's pretty understandable.

A perfect case to use as an example is the Salinas CF. The old version emphasized better the idea of the "Club de Fútbol", as it reminded me a lot of Latin-American team crests, with its stripes that easily relate to other striped logos, like Banfield, Racing de Avellaneda, Peñarol and Santos FC. The new concept put that idea to the sideline, taking inspiration to something that looks unrelated to Association Football at the first, the papel picado, and relying on a big S, like a Baseball logo. Other clearly "americanized" concept is Atlético San Jose. When we think about Atlético, in a traditional understanding, we imply the word "Club" before it, like in Spanish Club Atlético de Madrid, Mexican Club Atlético San Luis, Uruguayan Club Atlético Peñarol and so on. So, if we are considering the traditional understanding, CASJ would be the acronym of choice. Deportivo El Centro, Real San Diego and Sporting San Francisco are the other teams that drops implied words (as in [Real] Club Deportivo La Coruña and Sporting Club de Portugal).

You do have some really solid points here! 

I think the thing that makes American soccer logos much more different than "traditional" logos in Europe and Latin America is that soccer is much newer to most American audiences. The already-established naming conventions and logo styles (seen in American football and especially Minor League Baseball) have been applied to new soccer teams, creating a uniquely American style to these soccer teams.

Your insights about Spanish naming styles and Latin American crests is actually very helpful in the context of this series, as California is a place with a large Hispanic population and many, many Spanish place names. In fact, I used your final point to name my next team!

On 2/20/2021 at 9:47 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Colliders is awesome!  I love the pink.

Thank you very much; I'm glad you enjoyed Palo Alto! :)

---

Basin Division

Club Atlético de East Los

East Los Angeles, California

Founded: 1989

50967794563_37e5cbe33f_o.png

East Los Angeles (which is 97% Hispanic) is the center of the lowrider culture, which is considered by many to be a huge part of Mexican-American culture. The crest combines the architectural stylings of the Whittier Boulevard arch and the tailfin of the 1959 Chevy Impala, one of the more popular cars in the lowrider community. The community's shortened "East Los" nickname adorns the center of the crest.

The home kit is a hooped turquoise jersey with chrome stylings, whereas the black clash kit combines the arch design with a stylized Impala tailfin. The kits are supplied by Nike, and the sponsor is Lowrider magazine*.

*I was so tempted to put the fictional East Los FM from Grand Theft Auto V as the sponsor, but the sponsor I ultimately chose made the most sense with the lowrider theme I ended up going with

22 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Love it

Thank you! :)

---

Valley Division

Kingsburg Fotbollförening (FF)

Kingsburg, California

Founded: 1994

50971798586_53a630c5b1_o.png

Kingsburg is a small town outside Fresno that was initially settled by Swedes in the 1870s and continues to embrace its Swedish roots today. The crest is a roundel logo that features the Swedish flag in the middle and a simplified crown from the Swedish coat of arms at the top. When I was researching Swedish soccer logos, I noticed that many of the logos had wreaths on them; Kingsburg's wreath consists of grape leaves, as this part of the Central Valley exports a lot of raisins and table grapes. I decided to give this team the Swedish Fotbollförening name (meaning "football club) like the real-life teams in Kalmar and Malmö.

The home kit is a simple yellow/blue kit inspired by a vertical Swedish flag. The red clash kit is stylized after a traditional Dala horse, complete with the "harnesses" of the horse and the circular pattern of the Dala horse in downtown Kingsburg. The kits are supplied by Puma, and the sponsor is the raisin grower Sun-Maid.

---

After trying to figure out how to make the CSL2 team map, I decided to simply resize the insets of the CSL map to enlarge the map of the urban areas. Here's the CSL2 map as of right now, and I'll be updating the map on the CSL2 "home page" whenever I post a new team

Spoiler

CSL2 League Map

Southwest Division

Beverly Hills SC

Beverly Hills, CA

Founded: 1992

50977770167_6df91c8112_o.png

Beverly Hills was a rather easy team to design, as the Beverly Hills city limit signs are basically soccer crests waiting to happen. The crest is adorned with a "BH" monogram that's designed around the ornate stylings of the sign, and the Padres-style color scheme is also taken from the sign.

The brown home kit references the palm-lined streets of Beverly Hills with a dashed pinstripe pattern similar to the Hornets' "Mint City" jerseys; this kit is heavily inspired by the LASC concepts by @pcgd. The brown/white clash kit is a reference to the stylings of the Beverly Hills street signs. The kits are supplied by Umbro, and the sponsor is The Cheesecake Factory, which opened its first restaurant in 1978 in Beverly Hills.

(Now I can't get Weezer out of my head)

You didn't have to go and embarrass the MLS with a tier 2 state league! I'm going to stick to the consumer perspective again to keep things shorter, but I'll still share thoughts for improvement.

Fremont Dynamo SC

Love the name and the origin! Small room for improvement, though. I think the "volt" title of the color is off the mark because it's meant to imply light and movement, while all it really does is reminds me of a highlighter that has gone over pencil too many times (Not your fault because you didn't name it). I think the look would pop if you leaned towards the lime green in the Volt color. The design on the kits are awesome, I just couldn't see myself wearing the color.

Irvine SC

Ah, the double color. You always get me with them, and this time it is my favorite color. I'll take both jerseys because they are beautiful and remind me of a creamsicle. I will also take a hat, shirt and warmup pullover with that logo. The simplicity of your balloon makes my brain think it is just a badge holding the "I", and I love it. Inspirational take on what would usually be an average roundel. (I vote to dub their clash the "Neighborhood Watch" kit)

Calcio North Beach

Well, three for three and I'm not sorry for the amount of space this post will take up. I'd definitely wear that logo on any clothing. The color combo is gorgeous and unique. You wouldn't be able to get away with it in other sports and that is why I love soccer aesthetics. Kits are pretty solid, but that sponsor is the most aggressive thing I've ever seen.

Sacramento Athletic Club

Wouldn't be caught dead wearing SAC gear, but that isn't your fault it's because of the city (I'll just say my 5th grade field trip to the capital wasn't perfect). Do need to list the team for how clever the name is, though. Doesn't feel force, and I bet the residence eat it up. I could imagine the players are very proud to have "SAC" on their chest (ha).

Catalina Wanderers

I'd prefer the "Catalina Wine Mixers", but I always appreciate "Wanderers" being used in any sport. Love the creative freedom that the name gives, while still sounding solid. So I can say I didn't call out this team just to make a Step Brothers joke, this team is a prime example of the research done that I appreciate so much. 

AFC Santa Monica

The standout of this team is their logo. Mark them as one I would get a hat for. I really like the font that you use for "afc", and they utilize colors very well to give off a Santa Monica vibe.

Temecula SC

Just love the quail logo too much. Couldn't stop myself from giving it the much deserved appreciation.

Beverly Hills SC

This team is potentially my favorite of the whole series. The crest's inspiration is so obvious, but perfect. The monogram "BH" is also just as good. In fact, I wish you went the Rangers route and let the "BH" out of the cage on the clash so we could admire it at a larger size. The Art Deco palm trees on the home are also too good. I'd buy one full price on pure impulse, and I would not regret it later. "The Cheesecake Factory" on the chest is also fantastic. That is an S tier kit sponsor. Much like The Cheesecake Factory, this team offers me all I could ever want, and more, all in one place. 

On 2/25/2021 at 9:24 AM, MDTrey4 said:

The Beverly Hills road signs are perfect for a soccer logo. It's what I used in my series but that monogram is amazing. The "palm trees as pinstripes" is executed very well too.

I'm glad you enjoyed Beverly Hills! The monogram and the palm tree pinstripes were definitely fun ones to make~

If I may ask, can I take a look at your series? I don't seem to see it in your post history on the forums 🤔

On 2/25/2021 at 2:06 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

The Beverly Hills and East Los kits are absolutely amazing, just WOW

Thank you very much! :)

On 2/25/2021 at 6:03 PM, TheHealthiestScratch said:

You didn't have to go and embarrass the MLS with a tier 2 state league! I'm going to stick to the consumer perspective again to keep things shorter, but I'll still share thoughts for improvement.

Fremont Dynamo SC

Love the name and the origin! Small room for improvement, though. I think the "volt" title of the color is off the mark because it's meant to imply light and movement, while all it really does is reminds me of a highlighter that has gone over pencil too many times (Not your fault because you didn't name it). I think the look would pop if you leaned towards the lime green in the Volt color. The design on the kits are awesome, I just couldn't see myself wearing the color.

Irvine SC

Ah, the double color. You always get me with them, and this time it is my favorite color. I'll take both jerseys because they are beautiful and remind me of a creamsicle. I will also take a hat, shirt and warmup pullover with that logo. The simplicity of your balloon makes my brain think it is just a badge holding the "I", and I love it. Inspirational take on what would usually be an average roundel. (I vote to dub their clash the "Neighborhood Watch" kit)

Calcio North Beach

Well, three for three and I'm not sorry for the amount of space this post will take up. I'd definitely wear that logo on any clothing. The color combo is gorgeous and unique. You wouldn't be able to get away with it in other sports and that is why I love soccer aesthetics. Kits are pretty solid, but that sponsor is the most aggressive thing I've ever seen.

Sacramento Athletic Club

Wouldn't be caught dead wearing SAC gear, but that isn't your fault it's because of the city (I'll just say my 5th grade field trip to the capital wasn't perfect). Do need to list the team for how clever the name is, though. Doesn't feel force, and I bet the residence eat it up. I could imagine the players are very proud to have "SAC" on their chest (ha).

Catalina Wanderers

I'd prefer the "Catalina Wine Mixers", but I always appreciate "Wanderers" being used in any sport. Love the creative freedom that the name gives, while still sounding solid. So I can say I didn't call out this team just to make a Step Brothers joke, this team is a prime example of the research done that I appreciate so much. 

AFC Santa Monica

The standout of this team is their logo. Mark them as one I would get a hat for. I really like the font that you use for "afc", and they utilize colors very well to give off a Santa Monica vibe.

Temecula SC

Just love the quail logo too much. Couldn't stop myself from giving it the much deserved appreciation.

Beverly Hills SC

This team is potentially my favorite of the whole series. The crest's inspiration is so obvious, but perfect. The monogram "BH" is also just as good. In fact, I wish you went the Rangers route and let the "BH" out of the cage on the clash so we could admire it at a larger size. The Art Deco palm trees on the home are also too good. I'd buy one full price on pure impulse, and I would not regret it later. "The Cheesecake Factory" on the chest is also fantastic. That is an S tier kit sponsor. Much like The Cheesecake Factory, this team offers me all I could ever want, and more, all in one place. 

No need to worry about taking up too much space with your comments, I highly enjoy reading what you have to say! :)

Although the "volt" that I used for Fremont is the same exact shade that the Hawks used, I might consider lightening it up to look more lime green because the color does look a little muddy sometimes. I'm glad you liked Irvine and enjoy the color orange much like I do; the "Neighborhood Watch" kit is indeed a common nickname given [quite mockingly] by opposing fans 😂. That actually sounds like a pretty classy edit idea for the Beverly Hills clash, and I'll probably revisit that later on!

I'm glad you like those teams in particular, and although I honestly don't follow soccer, I really like the "blank slate" approach to aesthetics that soccer gives unlike other sports.

5 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

(Now I can't get Weezer out of my head)

That's their walk out song! Haha

Oh for sure! 😂

---

For the next team, we follow Interstate 10 from Beverly Hills all the way out to San Bernardino!

Basin Division

Arrowhead SC

San Bernardino, California

Founded: 2017

Affiliated With: Inland Empire

50984311546_d6ff825e69_o.png

In 2016, Inland Empire left its longtime San Bernardino home for a new stadium in Rancho Cucamonga (a really fun name to say, in my opinion). To compensate for the CSL team's departure, Inland Empire created Arrowhead SC to fill the soccer void. An arrowhead-shaped rock formation lies north of San Bernardino and has been a landmark since pre-colonial times; arrowhead imagery is very common in this part of the Inland Empire. The crest is a modern-style arrowhead, with inspiration taken from Atlas FC in Mexico. This design is also heavily adapted from my super-old Etiwanda United concepts from my fictional country of Los Altos, especially after I realized that I didn't have a violet (plenty of light purple, though) team in my California leagues.

The violet home kit combines the angled arrowhead chevron with a checkered flag, a reference to the Auto Club Speedway in neighboring Fontana. The white home kit references the massive logistics industry in the Inland Empire (San Bernardino County alone has 8 Amazon warehouses, for example) with a stylized railyard pattern. The kits are supplied by Adidas, and the sponsor is Stater Bros. Markets.

21 minutes ago, LMU said:

As an FYI - Stater Bros. has since rebranded.

SBM_Logo_Primary_Web.png

Thank for the heads up!

I have since updated the Arrowhead kits to include the new Stater Bros. logo. Although it looks like the new logo didn't actually launch until August 2019, we can just say that they introduced their new logo via Arrowhead's 2019 kits

Spoiler

50984311546_d6ff825e69_o.png

On 2/27/2021 at 5:15 AM, PascalHugo said:

Fantastic work mate! I really like the Beverly Hills logo, smart way to use the road signal! Keep it up!

I'm glad you liked Beverly Hills, my friend!

---

Southwest Division

The Valley SC

Los Angeles, CA

Founded: 2004

50989941878_753a9bd785_o.png

The suburban San Fernando Valley is forever synonymous with the 1980s Valley girl culture, immortalized in pop culture through songs like "Valley Girl" by Frank Zappa and movies such as Clueless. At the same time, the Memphis style of design sprung up with its bright colors and geometric shapes. The Valley SC (a bold name considering that California has many famous valleys) plays in the Warner Center district of Los Angeles and boasts an 80s-style crest with a predominantly teal/pink color scheme; this design is also a soccer crest continuation of my San Fernando Valley Geofilter from last year.

The home crest expands the design from the crest and features a grid pattern on the chest (representing the Valley's street grid) and a zigzag pattern common in Memphis design. Fitting into the team's nostalgia theme, the clash kit features the iconic "Jazz" design (although that design represents the 90s and not the 80s); it was initially introduced as a one-off design in 2015 but has stuck around ever since due to popular demand. The kits are supplied by Under Armour, and Warner Bros.* sponsors the team (even though WB is headquartered 20 miles away in Burbank, the team plays on former ranch land owned by the Warner brothers).

*I'm aware that the new Warner Bros logo didn't come out until November of 2019 (at the end of American soccer seasons), but I'm still gonna use the new logo regardless

(I jokingly hate myself for unleashing these particular designs to the world 😂)

The WB sponsor had me thinking, how would it look with them pulling an Atletico Madrid when Columbia sponsored their kit and advertise different movies made by them like Wonder Woman 1984.

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2019/10/16-different-sponsors-in-one-season-when-atletico-changed-sponsor-almost-every-match.html

Archived