The Texans That Never Were

MrAstrodome

I wanted to get this out there before my love for this team goes out with Deshaun. This is some stuff I've been working on for while but hadn't made time to post it. 

The Houston Texans: One of the more "meh" names in the NFL. Used once before by a World League team in 1974-75 and named with the blessing of the former Dallas Texans now known the Kansas City Chiefs.

When I saw the name unveiled, especially with the preceding video made everyone on think it would be bull related, I was underwhelmed. This paired with a RWB color scheme and navy uniforms that at the time would had been the 9th! navy jersey in use as a primary dark, disappointed me even further. (That makes this what, the 20, 30-something time I've complained about the navy jerseys?) 

While I like our Battle Red and white jerseys, I still think of what could been with the other identities mentioned in the poll preceding to the unveiling:

After Houston was awarded the NFL's 32nd franchise on October 6, 1999, a series of focus groups were formed to help come up with a nickname for the team. On March 2, 2000, the team announced five choices, the Apollos, Bobcats, Stallions, Texans and Wildcatters. The list was then shaved to the Apollos, Stallions and Texans a month later.

So without further adieu I present to you: The Texans That Never Were.

HOUSTON APOLLOS (V.2)

HOUSTON BOBCATS

HOUSTON STALLIONS

HOUSTON WILDCATTERS

First off will be the Houston Wildcatters, taking some influence from the 'Stros on this but with black instead of navy. I was Astros game during this concept so hence the color scheme. 

IxF0fZe.png

HsCeMBB.png

bEBwV2d.png

TApU9ov.png

I've loved the Texans identity since forever and I think it's one of the better identities in the league, so I was kind of worried these might not be as good as it. But I was sure wrong. I love the oil drop logo and the uniforms look great. I'm excited for the rest! 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

On 1/26/2021 at 9:26 AM, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I've loved the Texans identity since forever and I think it's one of the better identities in the league, so I was kind of worried these might not be as good as it. But I was sure wrong. I love the oil drop logo and the uniforms look great. I'm excited for the rest! 

Thank you!

On 1/26/2021 at 9:53 AM, Skycast said:

I always thought the name Houston Toros would work with their current logos and such.

I always thought so too. #RunWithTheBulls would be a far superior hashtag than #WeAreTexans. 

Next up, the Houston Apollos. The logos and color scheme was inspired from a lot of the space flight badges. I felt this one need the light blue more than anything and went with copper as the second color.

jo11MMD.png

kOBqZ6Q.png

tBUiQ2D.png

R6QT955.png

I'm gonna be honest, the copper really takes away from the concept imo. I think you have a very sleek, modern look, and then pair it with a rustic color,a nd it doesn't do your design justice. I'd maybe go blue/black/white? or blue/blue/white? Or even a galaxy purple?

tinysig.jpg

5 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Question- When Houston was granted an expansion team after the Oilers left, was Oilers not an option for a nickname? Did the Titans still own it or something?

Yep, the Titans still own the trademark on the brand. In fact, any profit from Oilers gear that gets sold goes to the Titans as well.

the user formerly known as cdclt

14 hours ago, Ashes of Astroworld said:

I'm definitely getting some Hornets vibes with this.

Hornets? I’m getting Magic and Panthers

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

1 hour ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Hmm...was there any discussion for re-acquiring the name at the time?

They tried but Bud Adams turned them down. That's also the reason why they were the Tennessee Oilers for two years. To prevent a repeat of the Browns history staying. Baltimore tried to do with the it Colts but they said no as well. 

For the Apollos, I'd opt for colors inspired by the NASA Seal.

iedsBxpm.jpg?1

Specifically, I'd go with something approximating the deeper blue at the bottom of the star field, the red of the v-shaped "wing" device, and a gold inspired by the shadow cast on the planet's surface. Obviously, some white would make it into the logo and uniforms as a neutral accent color. In a perfect world, the gold shade could be exactly replicated if a choice was made to go with a metallic helmet. However, if that weren't possible, I've included a metallic gold swatch, as well.  

BqEgDEmb.png?1EThIeCSb.png?1FGoWSbHb.png?1V1ILAONb.jpg?1ULfE7yWb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 1:55 PM, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Hmm...was there any discussion for re-acquiring the name at the time?

By request Tags did Bud Adams a solid to retire the Oilers name to prevent any future franchise as well as the city of Houston from using it.

It was a pity move without question but what makes him a bit different than Art & Cleveland is that Bud started the franchise, brand from nothing bringing pro football to the city. 

#DTWD #GoJaguars

Archived