USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

4 hours ago, WideRight said:

Brian, (et al),

So after many variations, many other concepts, and a few very weird turns, here is my proposed 2ndary logo for the Monarchs.   It is based on the Hudson Valley Fort of the short-lived FXFL.  A lot more purple-dominant, than the primary, but still hopefully works as a part of the same basic identity package.   I have 2 versions and would love some feedback on which works best.  

spacer.png

Is there a particular reason why bottom of the logo is half navy/half white? Although it's not perfectly symmetrical, going halfsies with that backfill color makes it seem particularly off balance and has the unintended effect of creating two different shades of teal. 

As for the C/castle effect, I'm off the opposite view of Brian. Of the two, I prefer v2. I'm indifferent as to whether the top of the castle is teal. My issue is with the contrasting widths between the M and the C. On V.2, the contrast doesn't seem as stark, while on v.1 I'm more bothered by the fat/thin variance between the two. 

On that point, my biggest criticism of these logos is that general imbalance between the two letter forms. You've got squat v. long, thin vs. stout, serifed vs. non-serifed. It's a tricky concept in which to find the right balance. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WideRight said:

Brian, (et al),

So after many variations, many other concepts, and a few very weird turns, here is my proposed 2ndary logo for the Monarchs.   It is based on the Hudson Valley Fort of the short-lived FXFL.  A lot more purple-dominant, than the primary, but still hopefully works as a part of the same basic identity package.   I have 2 versions and would love some feedback on which works best.  

spacer.png

And I have to say that I agree with the idea that trying to mimic styles of a particular 5-10 year period of design and at the same time stick to existing logos at the same time is a huge issue.  The truth is that I have had to be flexible, pulling designs from a limited number of real world or concept logos to try to show progression over time.  There are just not a lot of good options in each time period.  For me WLAF/NFLE designs are the closest to the original USFL aesthetic.  XFL 1.0 was very far from that look, very "xtreme and kewl", which is just not the USFL.  The only other option between 2000-2010 is the UFL, which had only a handful of teams, and then you have to wait until 2019-2023 for the AAF, XFL 2.0, XFL 3.0, and USFL 2.0.   I did not find a lot in arena football that would work, thought there are some very good logos in that league (Rattlers, for example).   So, in an effort to try to repurpose actual logos, the timeframe is not always going to align perfectly.  The minimalism of the 2020's vs. the love of gradients or multiple outline complex wordmarks earlier in the decade, the obsession with darkening colors and BFBS, or the explosion of teal and purple in the 90's, are just not all going to perfectly fit into the USFL alt history timeline.  it is an inherent issue with the limitations of the alt history genre, as well as with my efforts to stick with real world designs as much as I can, rather than just inventing a league from scratch. 

No offense, but the C looks forced in both versions.

I think it a purple, teal and silver rendering of the WLAF Monarchs logo could be more timeless.

spacer.png

6 hours ago, WideRight said:

Brian, (et al),

spacer.png

And I have to say that I agree with the idea that trying to mimic styles of a particular 5-10 year period of design and at the same time stick to existing logos at the same time is a huge issue.  The truth is that I have had to be flexible, pulling designs from a limited number of real world or concept logos to try to show progression over time.  There are just not a lot of good options in each time period.  For me WLAF/NFLE designs are the closest to the original USFL aesthetic.  XFL 1.0 was very far from that look, very "xtreme and kewl", which is just not the USFL.  The only other option between 2000-2010 is the UFL, which had only a handful of teams, and then you have to wait until 2019-2023 for the AAF, XFL 2.0, XFL 3.0, and USFL 2.0.   I did not find a lot in arena football that would work, thought there are some very good logos in that league (Rattlers, for example).   So, in an effort to try to repurpose actual logos, the timeframe is not always going to align perfectly.  The minimalism of the 2020's vs. the love of gradients or multiple outline complex wordmarks earlier in the decade, the obsession with darkening colors and BFBS, or the explosion of teal and purple in the 90's, are just not all going to perfectly fit into the USFL alt history timeline.  it is an inherent issue with the limitations of the alt history genre, as well as with my efforts to stick with real world designs as much as I can, rather than just inventing a league from scratch. 

I'd say between those options, Version 2 looks better, but a re-colored London Monarchs crown would work as well IMO

One more version of the Hudson Valley Fort redesign, adjusting the width of the C and the striping at the bottom.  

I did think about just going with the London Monarchs logo, since that is a queen's crown, not a king's crown, and Charlotte is the Queen City of NC, but I just like the look of the Atlanta Legends crown quite a bit more than the Monarch crown.   Anyway, here is version 3 of a secondary logo with a castle motif. 

spacer.png

And, just because I know that @BengalErnst will appreciate this I can promise that all 3 uniform designs for the 28th USFL team are to one degree or another based on XFL designs, though perhaps not the teams you are thinking of. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WideRight said:

One more version of the Hudson Valley Fort redesign, adjusting the width of the C and the striping at the bottom.  

I did think about just going with the London Monarchs logo, since that is a queen's crown, not a king's crown, and Charlotte is the Queen City of NC, but I just like the look of the Atlanta Legends crown quite a bit more than the Monarch crown.   Anyway, here is version 3 of a secondary logo with a castle motif. 

spacer.png

And, just because I know that @BengalErnst will appreciate this I can promise that all 3 uniform designs for the 28th USFL team are to one degree or another based on XFL designs, though perhaps not the teams you are thinking of. 

I think this one's a winner!

The poll on The USFL Lives is live, as is the comment section.  

I will start releasing full uniform mockups this weekend, so @BengalErnst can see which XFL teams helped influence the USFL designs of these three teams.  It won't always be exact or obvious, but I promise there are definite XFL elements in the designs of some helmets, some jerseys, and some pants, but typically elements and not the full look.  And this is not the first, the current Orlando  Renegades look is basically the Chicago Enforcers with blue instead of purple.  LA also had a short-lived LA Xtreme bib jersey, though now they look more like the Seattle Seahawks from the Hasselbeck period.  

Next up... LA Express get influenced by two short-lived leagues,  Generals go back to basics, and the Renegades go for some funky color adjustments (not major, just tweaked to be more contemporary).  

And for those of you hoping Dallas would get a team, patience is a virtue.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, WideRight said:

spacer.png

I really like this update of the Charlotte Monarchs’ secondary logo.  Nicely done, sir.

Realistically, I believe the best candidate for 2008 expansion is that of the Charlotte Monarchs. Though they’d be sharing the market and stadium with the NFL’s Carolina Panthers, the Monarchs would be going into a first class facility in a fast-growing city that is poised to grow from a regional financial power into a national economic player.  I’ve also warmed to a color palette that accompanies an outstanding  logo package. In fact, while I’ll still give the edge to the Virginia Destroyers’ colors of Burgundy, Navy, and Battleship Grey, the Monarchs’ logos are at least the equal of their Tidewater-based counterparts

With regard to the other bids, the Tidewater Region’s economic/corporate question marks give me pause about casting a vote for the Destroyers.  As for the Carolina Surge, I feel that they’re the secondary bid  - by a good margin - within their own state… and the less said about their identity package the better. The latter was comprised of a mediocre logo, an insipid name, and a garish palette when it was unveiled by the  WLAF in the early ‘90s and it doesn’t strike me as having aged well since. I wasn’t a fan of the Surge in the California Delta  of 1991 and I’m not pulling for them in the Research Triangle of 2008. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

58 minutes ago, raz said:

LA Express... Short-lived league... Las Vegas Locomotives... Hmmmm

By all that is holy, please don’t allow the USFL’s Los Angeles Express to be influenced by the World Football League’s Jacksonville Express and the United Football League’s Las Vegas Locomotives.

AAF’s Memphis Express (who they already share design elements with) and the UFL’s Omaha Nighthawks? Sure. But the WFL’s Express and UFL’s Locos? Oh, dear God… no.

• LOL 1

While the FXFL sucked as a league. Always loved so many of their logos. I also was trying to figure out a way to use the Hudson Valleg Fort logo for my league without putting them in Hudson Valley. 

Can’t wait for the XFL to get more flavor into your USFL. The Outlaws logo I always thought was best from that 2001 XFL.. and you don’t think that one could fit? 

6on7h5.jpg

THE Xtreme Fantasy Football League

Expansion designs coming soon, but as we are in the 2nd half of the 2006 season, it is time for some of the 2007 designs to be revealed by Reebok.

First up is the least dramatic of the redesigns, the New Jersey Generals.  They tip the cap at their early years, removing some of the 1990's design elements like the epaulette-inspired striping, and go back to a more classic look.  A new wordmark and number font are the main changes for the Generals as they evoke more of a 1983 vibe for 2007. 

spacer.png

• Like 6

7 hours ago, WideRight said:

Expansion designs coming soon, but as we are in the 2nd half of the 2006 season, it is time for some of the 2007 designs to be revealed by Reebok.

First up is the least dramatic of the redesigns, the New Jersey Generals.  They tip the cap at their early years, removing some of the 1990's design elements like the epaulette-inspired striping, and go back to a more classic look.  A new wordmark and number font are the main changes for the Generals as they evoke more of a 1983 vibe for 2007. 

spacer.png

Very clean look for the Generals.

As the votes keep coming in for Expansion 2008, another USFL team gets a new design for 2007.  

The Orlando Renegades get rid of their script wordmark after nearly 20 years and make some very 2000's adjustments to their uniforms, including:

1. A new secondary logo doubles the tomohawk imagery.

2. The new wordmark acknowledges the common nickname of 'Gades.

3. A shift from black to a charcoal grey or dark graphite. 

4. The silver in their uniform is now more of a chrome, particularly on the helmet's facemask.

5. Renegade Blue is lightened a bit more, now almost in the realm of Panther or Honolulu Blue.

6. Sleeve and pant striping is bigger and bolder.

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Applause 2

And here is the final 2007 uniform/logo rebrand from Reebok.  The LA Express. 

I suspect the 2 references are pretty obvious here.  Primary logo from AAF Express, secondary logo from XFL 1.0 Xtreme.   The Express also get a bit sucked into the idea of gradients and sublimated uniforms, with color shifting in various parts of the uniform.  

And, to all who look at the helmet and wonder why they did not go full AAF with the design, my only response is "Patience", since LA has been one of the most mutable of designs all along, this is not the final look for them. 

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Love 1

PS:  Just letting folks know that over the past few days the Virginia Destroyers have made a push, and are now 2nd behind Charlotte, with Carolina in 3rd.  You Surge fans may want to get some allies on board to vote for the Surge.  

2 hours ago, WideRight said:

PS:  Just letting folks know that over the past few days the Virginia Destroyers have made a push, and are now 2nd behind Charlotte, with Carolina in 3rd.  You Surge fans may want to get some allies on board to vote for the Surge.  

I have no allies! 😟