USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

On 5/3/2023 at 6:21 AM, BengalErnst said:

Haha that’s how I also feel here. My love for the XFL is shunned. But this is a great follow regardless.

We just have different aesthetic tastes, which is why I have less XFL influence than WLAF/AAF/USFL influence. 

That said, the XFL is peaking into the league in bits, and will continue to do so.  

The Chicago Machine secondary (based on Houston Roughnecks) and the new LA secondary logo from the XFL Xtreme is just one of several future ideas I have kicking around.   You might expect to see more influences of the XFL for the Seattle Dragons, for example.  And, I can tell you now, the current 28 franchises do not remain unchanged between 2006-2025.  There will be franchises sold, moved, added, reimagined, etc. 

Stay tuned. 

Next up on this site, we will announce the winner of the 2008 Expansion race, with full uniforms, and then the redesign of the Pittsburgh Maulers for 2008.   Followed by the 3 teams getting 2009 redesigns. 

Reebok's contract is up for negotiation soon, so we could also have a new player in the game in the 2010's.  

Also,  can the onset of alternate uniforms and even 2nd helmets be far off?  (I dabbled with it in the early 90's but never did much with it.  That will change in the 2010's).

On 2/18/2023 at 8:11 AM, WideRight said:

The poll is up everyone.  This is a the first of a series of polls related to the 2006 and 2008 USFL expansion:

1. Pick Atlanta's helmet.

2. Pick the St. Louis Logo/Helmet.

3. Pick the identity from 3 possible names for 2008 Expansion Team #1

4. Pick the city & identity from 3 options for 2008 Expansion Team #2

Here are your three Atlanta choices.  You can vote at the USFL Lives Alt History Website (Ignore the URL saying Boston, Wix won't let me change the URL from the last poll I did.)

aa3b49_e63510bed9454024998197cab90430fb~

Design1 is the best "flame/fire" helmet design I've ever seen.  Holy cow, I love that one!

Just a quick question to see what folks think.  Not promising anything will happen, but it just could.

Which current team in the Alt History of the USFL do you think is a prime relocation candidate between 2008-2018?

For those who don't follow the league on my Alt History site, here are the current 26 teams, with Portland and 1 other coming in for 2008:

NE: Baltimore Blitz, Boston Cannons, New Jersey Generals, Philadelphia Stars, Washington Federals. 

SE: Atlanta Fire, Jacksonville Bulls, Orlando Renegades, Tampa Bay Bandits (and a new team in either NC or VA)

SOU:  Birmingham Stallions, Memphis Showboats, Nashville Knights, New Orleans Breakers

CEN: Chicago Machine, Michigan Panthers, Ohio Glory, Pittsburgh Maulers, St. Louis Skyhawks

SW:  Arizona Wranglers, Denver Gold, Houston Gamblers, Texas Outlaws

PAC:  Las Vegas Thunder, LA Express, Oakland Invaders, Portland Stags, Seattle Dragons

5 hours ago, WideRight said:

We just have different aesthetic tastes, which is why I have less XFL influence than WLAF/AAF/USFL influence. 

That said, the XFL is peaking into the league in bits, and will continue to do so.  

The Chicago Machine secondary (based on Houston Roughnecks) and the new LA secondary logo from the XFL Xtreme is just one of several future ideas I have kicking around.   You might expect to see more influences of the XFL for the Seattle Dragons, for example.  And, I can tell you now, the current 28 franchises do not remain unchanged between 2006-2025.  There will be franchises sold, moved, added, reimagined, etc. 

Stay tuned. 

Next up on this site, we will announce the winner of the 2008 Expansion race, with full uniforms, and then the redesign of the Pittsburgh Maulers for 2008.   Followed by the 3 teams getting 2009 redesigns. 

Reebok's contract is up for negotiation soon, so we could also have a new player in the game in the 2010's.  

Also,  can the onset of alternate uniforms and even 2nd helmets be far off?  (I dabbled with it in the early 90's but never did much with it.  That will change in the 2010's).

I'm guessing perhaps the 2020 Dallas Renegades logo would make its way into the Texas Outlaws in some capacity, as well as the Seattle Dragons morphing into the 2023 XFL logo in some way as well

4 hours ago, WideRight said:

Just a quick question to see what folks think.  Not promising anything will happen, but it just could.

Which current team in the Alt History of the USFL do you think is a prime relocation candidate between 2008-2018?

For those who don't follow the league on my Alt History site, here are the current 26 teams, with Portland and 1 other coming in for 2008:

NE: Baltimore Blitz, Boston Cannons, New Jersey Generals, Philadelphia Stars, Washington Federals. 

SE: Atlanta Fire, Jacksonville Bulls, Orlando Renegades, Tampa Bay Bandits (and a new team in either NC or VA)

SOU:  Birmingham Stallions, Memphis Showboats, Nashville Knights, New Orleans Breakers

CEN: Chicago Machine, Michigan Panthers, Ohio Glory, Pittsburgh Maulers, St. Louis Skyhawks

PAC:  Las Vegas Thunder, LA Express, Oakland Invaders, Portland Stags, Seattle Dragons

Las Vegas and Texas. Mid-2000s seems too early for Vegas to support a pro sports team, and Texas is just a bad franchise that rarely does anything of note and will be third-fiddle in the state if/once Dallas gets a team (or maybe Texas moves to Dallas 👀)

Most likely to (potentially) relocate: New Orleans Breakers, due to the unsettled ownership situation post-Katrina, perhaps the new owner, whoever it is, will uproot them without a thought

Other possibilities: Oakland Invaders, Las Vegas Thunder, Birmingham Stallions (all due to stadium/market situations)

Oakland because of stadium issues. 

Also, the eastern winner of the current expansion push, also because of stadium issues. If Charlotte wins, I bet the Panthers don't make it easy for them. If Carolina wins, none of their 3 possible stadiums is very good. If Virginia wins, that's the worst stadium situation of all! 

Virginia’s attendance being so bad than moving almost immediately could become a new Tennessee Oilers type thing 

• Like 1

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

And the vote is in.  The Charlotte Monarchs will be joining the USFL in 2008.   The announcement was posted today on the Alt History website, and here is the full design sheet.   

And, to @BengalErnst, can you identify which 2001 XFL team has an influence on this team's look?  It is subtle, but it is there. 

spacer.png

• Like 7
  • Love 2

Overall I think that's a solid first set but there are some things I'm not huge on. The inconsistent strokes are the biggest one. The number has all three colors, the helmet logo has no stroke, the helmet stripe has only one stroke, and the yoke doesn't seem to follow either rule? It's definitely one of those 2000s football uniforms and I actually dig the unique yoke, I'd just want more consistency. I am disappointing to see there are no gold pants. I also think the crosses in that London Monarchs wordmark are supposed to be St. George's Cross, from the flag of England, but they feel "royal" enough that I think they make a neat touch.

Overall I think there's a really strong foundation with lots of potential for improvement just given the design sensibilities of the era. Looking forward to how the brand evolves!

the user formerly known as cdclt

And the vote is in.  The Charlotte Monarchs will be joining the USFL in 2008.   The announcement was posted today on the Alt History website, and here is the full design sheet.   Sorry it is a bit choppy. When I get home today I will update and reformat the picture to get a cleaner image.  Something to do with dithering or not dithering the GIF file I think. 

And, to @BengalErnst, can you identify which 2001 XFL team has an influence on this team's look?  It is subtle, but it is there. 

spacer.png

Heavy Jacksonville Jaguars vibes here with a little Memphis Maniax. I'd be curious to see how it looks in Carolina/Columbia Blue (i.e. UNC Chapel Hill).

mainescarf.png

On 5/5/2023 at 8:20 AM, WideRight said:

It wouldn't shock me to see the Oakland Invaders relocate to San Jose. San Jose is the third most populous city in California, the most populous city in the Bay Area, and is home to more than twice as many residents as Oakland. It is located nearly exactly equidistant between Oakland and San Francisco, thereby making it perfectly situated to draw fans from both of those municipalities. As such, the argument could be made that a San Jose-based USFL franchise would tap into support within both the #13 San Francisco-Oakland-Berkeley, CA MSA and the #36 San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA MSA, while drawing viewers from throughout the #6 San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose television DMA. Further, the financing of a stadium project in San Jose might be far easier to pull together given the burgeoning Silicon Valley economy. Finally, should USFL leadership ever seek to pursue placing a team in Sacramento, a San Jose-based USFL team would that much farther away from the catchment area of said franchise than an Oakland team would. 

I could see either the Jacksonville Bulls or the Orlando Renegades - likely, the former - relocating to Miami. The Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL Metropolitan Statistical Area is the most populous in the state and the Miami-Fort Lauderdale Nielsen Designated Market Area (#18 in the country) is the third-largest in the state behind the Tampa-St. Petersburg-Sarasota (#13) and Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne (#17) DMAs. Jacksonville, as the 39th-largest MSA and 41st-largest DMA, significantly trails the other Florida markets in population and TV viewership metrics.

In the Lone Star State, I could envision the Texas Outlaws relocating to the Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX MSA, only to have an ownership group step up and secure a new team for San Antonio just as soon as possible. On the other hand, I could also see the Dallas market  entering the USFL via expansion, with Outlaws team management subsequently stepping up there game in order to compete with not just one, but two Texas-based competitors. Either way, might a Central Texas-based USFL team opt to divide its scheduled allotment of home games between both San Antonio and Austin?

Also, as both the USFL and the professional sports industry grow, how long will smaller markets such as Memphis (#43 MSA; #52 Nielsen DMA), New Orleans (#47 MSA; #50 Nielsen DMA), and Birmingham (#50 MSA; #45 Nielsen DMA) be able to hold onto their United States Football League teams? 

Interesting scenarios and questions. It will be interesting to see what your fervid imagination comes up with in the seasons ahead.

* Note: All MSA and DMA rankings are from 2020 through the present. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, WideRight said:

And the vote is in.  The Charlotte Monarchs will be joining the USFL in 2008.   The announcement was posted today on the Alt History website, and here is the full design sheet.   

spacer.png

I know that I'm boring but I would've liked to see the crowns on the sleeves as opposed to in the middle of the chest stripes. This just looks like a Raven jersey that was recoloured and derailed with a chest stripe + crown. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I know that I'm boring but I would've liked to see the crowns on the sleeves as opposed to in the middle of the chest stripes. This just looks like a Raven jersey that was recoloured and derailed with a chest stripe + crown. 

An interesting observation.  I am not sure I see the comparison with the Ravens.  It really is an attempt to use several elements of the Memphis Maniax.  If purple were the dominant color, then perhaps Ravens, but the number font is very different,  the striping is more XFL than NFL, and the crown logo on the chest is as close as I could get to the Maniax having two random triangles coming out of the collar. 

Not to worry, however, team uniforms never stay static.  Most teams change their looks at least once a decade, so this won't be the final look.  

8 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

It wouldn't shock me to see the Oakland Invaders relocate to San Jose. San Jose is the third most populous city in California, the most populous city in the Bay Area, and is home to more than twice as many residents as Oakland. It is located nearly exactly equidistant between Oakland and San Francisco, thereby making it perfectly situated to draw fans from both of those municipalities. As such, the argument could be made that a San Jose-based USFL franchise would tap into support within both the #13 San Francisco-Oakland-Berkeley, CA MSA and the #36 San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA MSA, while drawing viewers from throughout the #6 San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose television DMA. Further, the financing of a stadium project in San Jose might be far easier to pull together given the burgeoning Silicon Valley economy. Finally, should USFL leadership ever seek to pursue placing a team in Sacramento, a San Jose-based USFL team would that much farther away from the catchment area of said franchise than an Oakland team would. 

I could see either the Jacksonville Bulls or the Orlando Renegades - likely, the former - relocating to Miami. The Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL Metropolitan Statistical Area is the most populous in the state and the Miami-Fort Lauderdale Nielsen Designated Market Area (#18 in the country) is the third-largest in the state behind the Tampa-St. Petersburg-Sarasota (#13) and Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne (#17) DMAs. Jacksonville, as the 39th-largest MSA and 41st-largest DMA, significantly trails the other Florida markets in population and TV viewership metrics.

In the Lone Star State, I could envision the Texas Outlaws relocating to the Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX MSA, only to have an ownership group step up and secure a new team for San Antonio just as soon as possible. On the other hand, I could also see the Dallas market  entering the USFL via expansion, with Outlaws team management subsequently stepping up there game in order to compete with not just one, but two Texas-based competitors. Either way, might a Central Texas-based USFL team opt to divide its scheduled allotment of home games between both San Antonio and Austin?

Also, as both the USFL and the professional sports industry grow, how long will smaller markets such as Memphis (#43 MSA; #52 Nielsen DMA), New Orleans (#47 MSA; #50 Nielsen DMA), and Birmingham (#50 MSA; #45 Nielsen DMA) be able to hold onto their United States Football League teams? 

Interesting scenarios and questions. It will be interesting to see what your fervid imagination comes up with in the seasons ahead.

* Note: All MSA and DMA rankings are from 2020 through the present. 

Love your attention to detail @Brian in Boston    MSA will be a factor moving forward, as will regional economic growth.  The thing is that cities like Birmingham, Memphis, and New Orleans are among the best supporters of their teams on the field.  Not sure if those teams would relocate (Remember that Birmingham already has a partial community ownership like the Packers, set up in the late 1990's.)    

I can say that there will be relocations between 2008-2020, and that expansion again is not entirely off the table.  With big markets like Dallas, Miami, San Jose, KC, Twin Cities, Milwaukee, and others still without USFL football, the pressure will be on any franchise that has attendance issues, stadium issues, ownership issues, or market size issues to consider a new market.