USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

On 5/9/2023 at 10:28 AM, WideRight said:

An interesting observation.  I am not sure I see the comparison with the Ravens.  It really is an attempt to use several elements of the Memphis Maniax.  If purple were the dominant color, then perhaps Ravens, but the number font is very different,  the striping is more XFL than NFL, and the crown logo on the chest is as close as I could get to the Maniax having two random triangles coming out of the collar. 

Not to worry, however, team uniforms never stay static.  Most teams change their looks at least once a decade, so this won't be the final look.  

The sleeve stripes (this is solid but if you had two colours, it would match) and the shields on the sleeves is what does it for me. 

spacer.png

On 5/9/2023 at 10:31 AM, WideRight said:

Love your attention to detail @Brian in Boston    MSA will be a factor moving forward, as will regional economic growth.  The thing is that cities like Birmingham, Memphis, and New Orleans are among the best supporters of their teams on the field.  Not sure if those teams would relocate (Remember that Birmingham already has a partial community ownership like the Packers, set up in the late 1990's.)    

I can say that there will be relocations between 2008-2020, and that expansion again is not entirely off the table.  With big markets like Dallas, Miami, San Jose, KC, Twin Cities, Milwaukee, and others still without USFL football, the pressure will be on any franchise that has attendance issues, stadium issues, ownership issues, or market size issues to consider a new market.    

Any plans to expand north of the border?

10 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Any plans to expand north of the border?

Not really.  Just as it was weird for the Canadian Football League to have teams in the USA, it would also be weird for the United States Football League to have teams in Canada. Besides, I don't want to hurt the CFL, I actually really enjoy it IRL. 

• Like 3

On 5/5/2023 at 10:20 AM, WideRight said:

Just a quick question to see what folks think.  Not promising anything will happen, but it just could.

Which current team in the Alt History of the USFL do you think is a prime relocation candidate between 2008-2018?

For those who don't follow the league on my Alt History site, here are the current 26 teams, with Portland and 1 other coming in for 2008:

NE: Baltimore Blitz, Boston Cannons, New Jersey Generals, Philadelphia Stars, Washington Federals. 

SE: Atlanta Fire, Jacksonville Bulls, Orlando Renegades, Tampa Bay Bandits (and a new team in either NC or VA)

SOU:  Birmingham Stallions, Memphis Showboats, Nashville Knights, New Orleans Breakers

CEN: Chicago Machine, Michigan Panthers, Ohio Glory, Pittsburgh Maulers, St. Louis Skyhawks

SW:  Arizona Wranglers, Denver Gold, Houston Gamblers, Texas Outlaws

PAC:  Las Vegas Thunder, LA Express, Oakland Invaders, Portland Stags, Seattle Dragons

My guesses like some others would either be New Orleans (post-Katrina uncertainty), Las Vegas (until recently was not a great sports market, so I could see it up to like 2015), or Oakland (to San Jose, or maybe to Santa Clara but not changing the city name?). 

A dark horse candidate could be Michigan; the 2008 recession hit Detroit hard so maybe they move to Grand Rapids, a smaller but growing market, to get some distance from the Lions all of Detroit's other pro teams and have the city to themselves for pro football (aside from maybe the Rampage if the Arena Football League is in this timeline). No name change required if they went to Grand Rapids.

• Like 1

Sportslogo-Forum-Signature-2.png

Some interesting ideas on relocations.    I have not yet figured out what the impact of the 2008-2009 recession will be, and I just started thinking about how to handle COVID in 2020 and 2021.  The lockdowns really started to hit right when the USFL would start up in 2020, and I don't think the software I use for simulation will allow me to have a partial season, so I may just have to cancel all of 2020 and then work with 2021 (hubs? pods?) and see what happens.  I will look at what MLB and MLS did and see if any of their strategies would work for the USFL.  

But, that is a long ways off (about 12-15 months from now since I tend to average about 1 season a month. 

Other changes will also come first. 

On another topic, does anyone have any recommendations on the best way to learn how to use Adobe Photoshop or another photo manipulation program.  I feel like the ability to alter photos is key to this project if I want to take it to the next level, but I have never really learned how to use that software.  I do a lot of designing on Corel Draw, but to be able to create realistic looking photos of Tom Brady in a Generals uniform or Terrell Davis scoring for the Maulers, would be a nice upgrade

(BTW, I am considering that once I finish this USFL alt history, I might return to 1983 and start all over again, but with more detail, a slightly slower pace, and more photos.  I thought about an NFL Europe alt history, but the USFL is really where my heart lies, and now, as I look back at the first 20+ seasons, I see lots of places where I wish I had done things differently, so a version 2.0 might be a chance for me to reinvent once again.)

42 minutes ago, WideRight said:

BTW, I am considering that once I finish this USFL alt history, I might return to 1983 and start all over again, but with more detail, a slightly slower pace, and more photos.  I thought about an NFL Europe alt history, but the USFL is really where my heart lies, and now, as I look back at the first 20+ seasons, I see lots of places where I wish I had done things differently, so a version 2.0 might be a chance for me to reinvent once again.)

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY…. Wait I ain’t paying for this… MY MINUTES.

Also I was thinking perhaps you could reach out to the Madden Modding Community collab with them for some uniforms and stadiums, and make YouTube Videos from the History of the USFL.

• Like 1

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

2 hours ago, Blindsay said:

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY…. Wait I ain’t paying for this… MY MINUTES.

Also I was thinking perhaps you could reach out to the Madden Modding Community collab with them for some uniforms and stadiums, and make YouTube Videos from the History of the USFL.

That is a very interesting idea.  I would still simulate using Draft Day Pro Football, but could use a Madden Mod on CPU to create very realistic images.  I will look into that.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WideRight said:

Some interesting ideas on relocations.    I have not yet figured out what the impact of the 2008-2009 recession will be, and I just started thinking about how to handle COVID in 2020 and 2021.  The lockdowns really started to hit right when the USFL would start up in 2020, and I don't think the software I use for simulation will allow me to have a partial season, so I may just have to cancel all of 2020 and then work with 2021 (hubs? pods?) and see what happens.  I will look at what MLB and MLS did and see if any of their strategies would work for the USFL.  

But, that is a long ways off (about 12-15 months from now since I tend to average about 1 season a month. 

Other changes will also come first. 

On another topic, does anyone have any recommendations on the best way to learn how to use Adobe Photoshop or another photo manipulation program.  I feel like the ability to alter photos is key to this project if I want to take it to the next level, but I have never really learned how to use that software.  I do a lot of designing on Corel Draw, but to be able to create realistic looking photos of Tom Brady in a Generals uniform or Terrell Davis scoring for the Maulers, would be a nice upgrade

(BTW, I am considering that once I finish this USFL alt history, I might return to 1983 and start all over again, but with more detail, a slightly slower pace, and more photos.  I thought about an NFL Europe alt history, but the USFL is really where my heart lies, and now, as I look back at the first 20+ seasons, I see lots of places where I wish I had done things differently, so a version 2.0 might be a chance for me to reinvent once again.)

For the 2008-09 recession, you could have some teams ponder relocation if their attendance drops.

For 2020, you could have two options:

- "Season Not Played" or "Season Not Completed"

or...

- You could still have a full simulation and with an asterisk to explain any coronavirus-related interruptions.

I would like to see you do a WLAF/NFL Europe simulation as a change of pace. If you need my help with that, I'm always open.

5 hours ago, WideRight said:

so I may just have to cancel all of 2020

Please don't do that. In-universe it would make the USFL look terrible as the only major sports league to completely cancel their season, and in real life it would be a huge bummer to miss a full season of one of the best alt league sims I've ever followed

I like when you throw in real life scenarios into your alt league so I think it would be a cop out by skipping over the recession and especially the virus. The virus really did hit hard right in the spring and summer too so the USFL/XFL would be hit hardest.

If you so start over, you know I’ll be there every step of the way with you. I love it. You inspired me to begin my XFL alt league. 

6on7h5.jpg

THE Xtreme Fantasy Football League

13 hours ago, BengalErnst said:

I like when you throw in real life scenarios into your alt league so I think it would be a cop out by skipping over the recession and especially the virus. The virus really did hit hard right in the spring and summer too so the USFL/XFL would be hit hardest.

Speak for yourself.

I have been through that hell, and known people who have too. It is something I would not wish on anyone, real or fictional.

Let's not waste this chance to create a better reality, one without the STUPID WORTHLESS GOOD FOR NOTHING CORONAVIRUS in it.

If you do want to cancel certain seasons though, I'd suggest something like a player lockout being the cause.

• Facepalm 1

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

3 hours ago, Bomba Tomba said:

Speak for yourself.

I have been through that hell, and known people who have too. It is something I would not wish on anyone, real or fictional.

Let's not waste this chance to create a better reality, one without the STUPID WORTHLESS GOOD FOR NOTHING CORONAVIRUS in it.

If you do want to cancel certain seasons though, I'd suggest something like a player lockout being the cause.

Not to be a jerk or anything, but you did notice I used the word “I” correct? That would suggest I was speaking for myself, rather than the way you went about the topic. 

Ignoring the coronavirus is 100% up to Wideright. He had 9/11 and Katrina impact the league and I think that brings realism to the story. I’m good either way and look forward to see how he maneuvers it. 

• Like 2

6on7h5.jpg

THE Xtreme Fantasy Football League

As much as I would like to have this alternate history happen sans COVID, I agree that since 9/11 and Katrina impacted the USFL here, COVID will inevitably have an impact as well. I don't see the USFL cancelling the 2020 season entirely like the CFL did (although I wouldn't totally discount the possibility), but I'm thinking it'll be either a shortened season or a delayed start in late June/early July that would ultimately run into the NFL season if they play a full 14-game schedule with playoffs.

• Like 5

There's a lot of cool possibilities when it comes to how covid would affect the league. Maybe they temporarily go back to a 14-game schedule, maybe teams could be grouped in hubs, you could do division games only to minimize travel. Dunno how many options your simulation gives you, but you could always fill in the blanks with some creative writing.

1 hour ago, mrcubfan415 said:

Is it just me or is the website struggling to load?

This website or the Alt History site?  

I am not seeing an issue with the Alt History "USFL Lives" Site, but let me know if you are. 

Meanwhile, I am gearing up for the 2006-2007 offseason and then the 25th season of USFL football in 2007.   To commemorate that anniversary, the USFL will have each team wearing a patch.  the 12 founding franchises will have a patch with their original 1983 logo in the center, while all other teams will have one with the league's "U" logo at the center.  Here are examples of the two.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Love 1