USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

Third of 4 new looks for 2011. The Nashville Knights, originally based on the NY/NJ Knights of the WLAF, but now more aligned with the look of the Tennessee Titans (who don't exist in this alt reality).

Another more moderate alteration here, not a major overhaul.  spacer.png

Notes:

I am not a big fan of the current Titans look.  For me a huge downgrade from the earlier Steve McNair period.  But,  I did borrow several elements including the thin sword-stripe on the helmet, a slightly more prominent version of the twin stripe on the pants, and both the primary and secondary logo are heavily Titan-inspired. 

OTher elements which are new are the modified numbers with the "slash" in them and the use of offset color sleeves with shoulder stripe accents. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

The 4th and final new look for 2011 is the Baltimore Blitz, and it is the most thorough of any of the initial redesigns by Adidas.

Basically, the Blitz have eliminated red from their look.  After beginning their existance as a red-dominant team in Chicago, the Blitz became blue-dominant when they moved to Baltimore in the late 1980's trying to draw in angry Colts fans.  Since then they have remained much the same, a silver helmet and pants, royal blue jersey, with silver and red highlights.

Beginning in 2011, the red is gone, the helmet is now royal blue, and the team uses silver as their secondary color.   The look certainly recalls several elements of the old Colts identity, while also helping Baltimore stand out a bit more from other Red, White, and Blue teams like Ohio or New Jersey. 

Here is the look (and a few notes to follow)

spacer.png

spacer.png

As it says in the image file, there is quite a bit of CFL-USA Baltimore Stallions here, as well as Colts elements.  The question is whether or not a Blitz fanbase which has come to love the silver helmets and use of red will accept a change to blue and silver alone, as well as blue helmets, a solid 25 years after the team first came to Baltimore, and in a world very distant from the original pain of the Colts leaving. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, a quick update.  4 new team redesigns by Adidas are coming for the 2012 season.  On the docket for 2012 are:

Jacksonville Bulls

New Orleans Breakers

Washington Federals

Texas Outlaws

I may also have a poll ready for you guys as we look at moving the Breakers closer to their 2022 USFL look.  One big question is if the Breakers should stick with the  teal, navy teal, and grey or go back to the original light blue, navy blue, and grey look.  They have been a teal club since the late 1980's, so a change back to Boston's colors could be very controversial, but it is also a very good look. 

As for the others, Washington loves to tweak their minimalist eagle logo, Texas fans hate the idea of every losing their cowboy logo, and the Bulls, well, they just always look good with that color combo. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Getting ready to kick off the 2011 season, the league's 29th, which means that designs will be released for the 30th seaosn of the USFL.  That will include throwbacks for all original 12 teams (even the relocated ones), a commemorative patch, and the new looks for 4 franchises. 

So, let's get started with the anniversary patch and the new design for one of the 4 teams getting an Adidas redesign this year.  Here is the 30th anniversary patch that will be worn on the chest (left) by all 28 clubs. 

spacer.png

And now the first of the 4 clubs to get new looks for 2012.  Our first new look belongs to the Washington Federals, starting with a revised logo.  Gone is the "Dollar Bill" font and replacing it is a script font that incorporates with the minimalist eagle logo, now curvier than ever. 

spacer.png

And now the uniform. Design sheet first, then a few comments. 

spacer.png

The changes we see this year include:

1. A brighter Kelly green.
  2. The new "swooping" eagle logo.
  3. A balanced three stripe pattern on the helmet, repeated on the pants in an angled form. 
  4. For the first time ever, the Feds use kelly green sleeves on the white jersey.  the sleeve stripes are the only time that the three stripes touch each other instead of being separated by the background color.  
  5. A new number font (St. Louis Rams)
  6. The secondary crest on the back above the nameplate. 
  7. The 30th Anniversary patch replaces the standard "U" league logo on the left chest.  
  8. As with all Adidas jerseys there are small 3-stripe details on the cuffs and back of the collar on each jersey

Still to come, the Gamblers, Bulls, and Breakers, and our color vote for the Breakers as they debate returning to their 1983 color scheme. 

• Like 5

Ready to reveal the 2012 Texas Outlaws in all their kelly & royal blue glory, but first, I decided that the USFL 30th Anniverary Logo needed just a bit of tweaking, so here is the modified patch.  Still pretty simply, but at least it has the U in it. 

spacer.png

And here is your newly designed Texas Outlaw look.  Notes to follow. 

spacer.png

The changes are...

1. Mostly the striping, which is now (as described above) an unbalanced 4-stripe pattern, seen on all surfaces.

2. Decided Texas would join the club of teams with colored sleeves on the white jersey.

3. Incorporated the "Ottawa Renegade" version of theirl logo on the sleeves, while keeping the traditional (CFL Texans) logo on the helmet.

4. Created a small Alamo-themed patch that says "San Antonio" to highlight the city for the club.  It appears on the back of each jersey. 

5. Kept the facemasks black, but that is basically the only black still in the uniform, so it may switch to white before too long. 

6. There will be alternate uniforms coming around before 2024, so you can eventually expect a reverse version where the helmet will be royal blue and the jersey will be green, but it has not happened yet. 

Next up is Jacksonville, while New Orleans will have to wait until we finish the voting on whether they should go with their 1983-1993 colors ((actual Breaker colors)  or the 1994-2012 colors (teal, deep navy teal, grey).  That will be happening on the website as soon as Week 1 of 2011 is posted. 

• Like 4

Those Dallas Outlaws uniforms are gorgeous. Some of your best. Well done.

On the patch, I'd think, as a practical matter, producing a chain-stitched patch (which I presume this would be) with those skinny flags hanging off the side would be difficult, or at the very least awkward. 

Personally, I liked your prior version better, though I'd suggest working a way to keep the years within the boxy frame of the 30. Having those flags extend and widen the logo makes it feel unbalanced. 

I also don't think it's necessary to force a "u" into the design. Using the stars and stripes within the 30 is enough to convey the league's branding. 

11 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Those Dallas Outlaws uniforms are gorgeous. Some of your best. Well done.

Hey, not so fast.  Yes, Dallas is seeking a team, but the Outlaws are still in San Antonio, and after the renovations to the Alamodome, they may not be the most likely club to relocate if Mark Cuban gets his way. 

Third of 4 new looks for 2012:  Jacksonville Bulls.

Not a major overhaul, more of a tweak.  The helmet stays the same, but the jerseys and pants get a bit more "Buccaneer" ish in their look. 

This brings up an interesting question.  With the USFL Bulls already using a dark grey helmet, maroon and orange colors, with an ample amount of black.  Would that have been enough to keep the NFL Buccaneers from altering their creamcicle look into the current pewter, red, black and orange?  I suspect it would.  Maybe they would have gone for the same flag/crossbones logo, but on white, or on red or black helmets, as we saw with several of the concept mock ups they made before settling on pewter.  Or maybe Bucco Bruce persists in the alt history of the NFL that parallels this alt history.   Hmmm... intriguing. 

Anyway, here is the updated Bulls look.  

spacer.png

While the main look, and primary logo, are unchanged, I did add a monogram secondary as well as a rondel secondary that includes the state of Florida in it.   Something about trying to capture more of the statewide market, a constant theme with 3 teams in the league but none in southern Florida.  Here are the two secondaries up close. 

spacer.png   spacer.png

• Like 4
  • WOAH 1

• 2 weeks later...

Updated Bulls and then the last of the 4 2012 teams, the two potential versions of the New Orleans Breakers uniforms.  The vote is still ongoing so no choice yet between the original double blue or the 1994-present double teal. 

JAX-- Fixed the sleeve issue.  Thanks @raz for the catch. 

spacer.png

And now New Orleans.  First the current teal color scheme. 

spacer.png

And now, the potential return to double blue colors used from 1983-1994.

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Love 3

23 minutes ago, WideRight said:

Updated Bulls and then the last of the 4 2012 teams, the two potential versions of the New Orleans Breakers uniforms.  The vote is still ongoing so no choice yet between the original double blue or the 1994-present double teal. 

JAX-- Fixed the sleeve issue.  Thanks @raz for the catch. 

spacer.png

And now New Orleans.  First the current teal color scheme. 

spacer.png

And now, the potential return to double blue colors used from 1983-1994.

spacer.png

I'm really torn on the two Breakers' designs. Both are great in their own right.

I do find the gray portion on the blue jersey kind of washes out a little bit where it stands out more with the teal version. The teal version seems a bit cleaner overall. 

Great work as usual. 

I’m also torn on the Breakers. I liked the color change but I also kind of like getting back to their original color scheme which is what the real life version uses (used :( )

6on7h5.jpg

THE Xtreme Fantasy Football League

I'm a bit torn myself, both versions are excellent; on the original color version I feel the gray part of the number on the blue jerseys should be dark blue as well to match the white jerseys as the numbers match on the teal version

• 1 month later...

Despite the fact that I have been spending a lot of hours on  my AAFL project, the USFL alt history continues to roll on.  We are just now finishing up the 2011 season, which means 2012 and a new set of teams changing their uniforms is on the horizon.  

I have 3 of the 4 teams that will get new looks ready to roll, so I will be posting those here soon.  The 4th is still in planning phase. 

For now, I can offer you the logo from the league's 30th title game, Summer Bowl 2012.  The game will be held in St. Louis, which explains the coloring of the logo. 

spacer.png

Next up will be one of the three teams I know is getting modifications from Adidas in 2013:  Michigan, Memphis, or Houston. 

• Like 5