USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

Here we go, the first of the 2013 USFL redesigns, the Memphis Showboats. 

spacer.png

Absolutely sticking with the original logo, using the 2023 USFL Showboats logo (recolored) as a secondary.  The main feature of these new Adidas uniforms is that we are dropping all black from the uniform, reverting back to a 2-color look with Riverboat Red and Silver Sky as the two uniform colors.  Black does still appear in the secondary logo and the wordmarks for the team.  The helmet has a tapered stripe, the pants a single red stripe.  The jersey features silver sky sleeves, and drop shadows on the  numbers (another small bit of black is in the home jersey numbers.   

Sharp eyed folks may notice that I slightly modified the "M" logo to lean to the left so that the waves and the M carry the same motion from left to right, instead of having the M moving from right to left as is the case in real life.  Most football images with a left-right orientation tend to emphasize a left to right "forward" motion instead of a right to left "backward" motion.  Here is an image of the original so you can see the difference:

spacer.png

• Like 2

21 hours ago, WideRight said:

Sharp eyed folks may notice that I slightly modified the "M" logo to lean to the left so that the waves and the M carry the same motion from left to right, instead of having the M moving from right to left as is the case in real life.  Most football images with a left-right orientation tend to emphasize a left to right "forward" motion instead of a right to left "backward" motion. 

You actually need to keep both of the Showboats' "M" logos, one with the letter leaning to the left and the other to the right. Why? Depending upon the orientation of someone viewing the logos, either version can emphasize "forward" motion.

In your modification of the Showboats' secondary mark, the smokestacks leaning to the left are supposed to impart the idea that the righthand side of the logo, where the wave lines originate, is the bow of the ship. The wave lines appear to be water flowing from right to left down the showboat's side as the bow cuts through the river's water. At least that's how it will appear with that mark applied to the right sleeve of the jerseys.  However, in order to achieve the same effect on the left sleeve of the jerseys, the 2023 orientation of the logo has to be used (with the smokestack's leaning to the right).

The easiest way to member this is that if the secondary mark is ever going to be applied to the sides of a Showboat uniform (on the sleeves of the jerseys, on the hips of the pants, on the sides of the helmets) the smokestacks should be leaning back towards the player's back. 

It may also help to think of a real world application of this phenomenon. Someone standing on the East bank of the Mississippi River in Memphis, watching a showboat move down the waterway from St. Louis towards New Orleans, would construe the vessel's "forward" motion as traveling from his right to his left. A person positioned on the West bank of the Mississippi River in West Memphis, watching the same showboat move down the waterway at the same time, would construe the vessel's "forward" motion as traveling from his left to his right.

• Like 1

Good point @Brian in Boston,  the team needs both versions, left facing and right facing.  

I will be releasing the 2nd one soon, but I have a ton of work on the USFL 2011-2012 offseason to deal with first.   A good year for offseason chaos...

1. Peyton Manning released by the Colts after his spinal surgery.  Does he go to Denver or to the USFL?

2. Andrew Luck looks like a sure fire NFL star.  Does he sign with the USFL, and which team makes a move to get him?

3. Robert Griffin III comes on strong in the 2011 NCAA season. Who becomes enamored of him?

4. Will Hasselbeck, Delhomme, or Plummer retire this year?  How do their teams deal? 

5. Will Trent Richardson join the USFL?  And if he does, does he flame out like IRL?

6. Can Justin Blackmon live up to his hype as a wideout?  And where?

7. Other NFL free agents include DE Mario Williams, WR Mike Wallace, and HB Adrian Foster, all intriguing targets for the USFL.

8. And what the heck is going on with the group that wants a team in Dallas?  Will they buy and relocate a USFL squad? 

Lots about to happen as the mid-2010's will get a bit crazy.  

If you want to join in, and haven't yet, here is the link to read 30 years of Alt History with the USFL that never died.   Summer Bowl 2011 was just posted, with the league's first champion returning for a 3rd title. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chi-Tex_Kidd said:

Would love to see a graph of Summer Bowl games or like a bar graph of appearances and wins.

How about this?  Does not have appearances, only wins. 

spacer.png

And, since you asked, here are the all time records:

TEAM (Seaons in the league:  All Time Summer Bowl Record)

ARIZONA (29:  0-2)

BALTIMORE (29:  0-1)   Began as Chicago Blitz.

BIRMINGHAM (29: 1-1 )

DENVER (29:  1-4)

MICHIGAN (29:  3-0)

NASHVILLE (29:  0-0)   Began as LA Express.

NEW JERSEY (29:  3-0)

NEW ORLEANS (29:  0-1)

OAKLAND (29:  1-1)

PHILADELPHIA (29:  3-3)

TAMPA BAY (29:  3-1)

WASHINGTON (29: 2-0)

HOUSTON (28:  4-3)

JACKSONVILLE (28: 0-0)

MEMPHIS (28: 2-3)

PITTSBURGH (28: 1-2)

CHICAGO (25:  0-3)

ORLANDO (25: 1-1)

TEXAS (25: 0-0 )   Began as Oklahoma Outlaws & San Antonio Gunslingers--merged after 1 year..

LAS VEGAS (28: 0-1)   Began as Portland Thunder

BOSTON (16:  1-0 )     Began as 1995 Atlanta Fire 

LOS ANGELES (16: 0-1)     1995 Expanion Express

OHIO (16: 2-0 )

SEATTLE (16: 1-0 )

ATLANTA (6: 0-0 )

CHARLOTTE (6: 0-0 )

PORTLAND (6: 0-0 )

ST. LOUIS (6:  0-0  )

So, Houston has both the most appearances (7) and the most wins (4), while New Jersey and Michigan each have 3 wins in 3 appearances and Nashville (STL, LA Express) are the only founding franchise never to appear in a title game.  

• Like 2

Thanks for the info loved your topic for years now I guess. Looks like the league has never had a true dynasty wonder if it would be a cool storyline to have a dynasty and a team have a new jersey to unveil for players not want them due to good luck as they are in the midst of a dynasty. Probably want 3 or 4 Summer Bowls in 5-7 years. Just an idea.

10 hours ago, Chi-Tex_Kidd said:

Thanks for the info loved your topic for years now I guess. Looks like the league has never had a true dynasty wonder if it would be a cool storyline to have a dynasty and a team have a new jersey to unveil for players not want them due to good luck as they are in the midst of a dynasty. Probably want 3 or 4 Summer Bowls in 5-7 years. Just an idea.

I would probably have to force a lot of things that I generally have tried not to force to get a dynasty. It seems like the simulator does like to mix things up and I try not to interfere with the game results it spits out.  I consider the early Stars and Gamblers to be mini-dynasties, as were the 2002-2003 Ohio Glory, but so far we have not had a team that has won more than 2 titles in any 5 year span.  I will say that there have been teams that made the playoffs for 10 years in a row, but often they fell apart in the postseason almost every year.  New Orleans and Chicago have both had runs like that without ever winning a title. 

Thanks for the great chart @ManillaToad.  And now, the 2nd of 3 new looks for 2013, yet to be revealed on the Alt History website, so you get it first. 

MICHIGAN PANTHERS 2013

spacer.png

A lot of traditional Panther elements, but with more of an emphasis on the newer 2nd logo, with its block progression motif.  That is really obvious on both the pant stripe and the side panel of the jerseys.  I am personally not a big fan of side panel striping. It sometimes works, but often does not, but it is something we have seen a lot in the past 15 years, so I include it here. The other big element is the use of champagne sleeves on the white jersey.  Finally, yes, the new Michigan font is set up on an angle, rising from right to left (for the viewer it is left to right). 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Just realized I had not posted these design options for Dallas's franchise yet.

It has been revealed that the 2009 League Champion Boston Cannons are the club that has been sold to Mark Cuban and his Dallas investment group.  They will relocate and play the 2013 season as the Dallas Roughnecks.    There is currently a poll on the USFL Alt History Website (The USFL Lives) to pick the color combo and uniforms for the team.  

Here are the three options, with notes in each image outlining where the inspiration comes from for each. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

16 hours ago, WideRight said:

Just realized I had not posted these design options for Dallas's franchise yet.

It has been revealed that the 2009 League Champion Boston Cannons are the club that has been sold to Mark Cuban and his Dallas investment group.  They will relocate and play the 2013 season as the Dallas Roughnecks.    There is currently a poll on the USFL Alt History Website (The USFL Lives) to pick the color combo and uniforms for the team.  

Here are the three options, with notes in each image outlining where the inspiration comes from for each. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

How come the Cannons are leaving????

Has the USFL failed in Boston TWICE??????

9 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

How come the Cannons are leaving????

Has the USFL failed in Boston TWICE??????

Yup, Boston lost the Breakers back in the late 80's, got the Atlanta Fire to move in the early 2000's and then lost that team to Dallas in 2013.  The problem is that Robert Kraft will not let the USFL use Gilette Stadium, so they cannot find a decent stadium to play in, lose a lot of revenue and have trouble being profitable compared with other franchises.