USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

4 hours ago, mrcubfan415 said:

What happened to 1983 Weeks 3 and 4 on the Wix website?

If you go to the Newswire page and search for "1983" you can get all the recaps and standings pages there.  You have to go to page 2 of the news, since it goes in reverse order, but they are there. 

• Like 1

Hey folks,  quick thing as I work on wrapping up the 2009 season.   Adidas has gotten the contract for USFL uniforms for 2011 and beyond (at least 7 years) and they are committed to 4 new designs per year, including a new jersey template, so expect to see some revision and some unique 'adidas" touches as we hit the 2011 looks.  Still a couple of 2010 looks to reveal on the website, but you will always see them here first. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, WideRight said:

Hey folks,  quick thing as I work on wrapping up the 2009 season.   Adidas has gotten the contract for USFL uniforms for 2011 and beyond (at least 7 years) and they are committed to 4 new designs per year, including a new jersey template, so expect to see some revision and some unique 'adidas" touches as we hit the 2011 looks.  Still a couple of 2010 looks to reveal on the website, but you will always see them here first. 

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing how this turns out...

Not ready to reveal any 2011 USFL designs quite yet, but I can show the new template for the adidas designs. 

First the image, then some notes. 

spacer.png

So, what is new? 

1. New design template box, with a lot of 3-stripe adidas present.

2. New jersey template, with shorter sleeves and more defined cuffs.

3. The new template also includes adidas branding in 4 places.

• logo with "adidas" name on right chest.
  • logo with "adidas" name on size tag (front bottom left)
  • three stripe pattern on back of collar
  • three stripe pattern on center of cuff

4. The pants have an adidas logo on the front of the right hip, which you cannot see here. 

5. I tried to make the stitching on the jersey template a bit more noticeable, as it is on the adidas 

template (available with several college designs from the late 2000-2010 period.)

6. Other than that the template for pants, socks, and the newer helmet template are unchanged. 

So, a bit of heavy hand from adidas, but not so heavy as to impact the main design elements of each team's looks.  No one will have huge triple stripes unless that is what their design would have anyway.  

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Coming soon... new adidas looks for...

Baltimore

Birmingham

Nashville

Philadelphia

We have 2 clubs that exist in the 2022 version of the USFL, will they start to move in that direction, hold their traditional look, or go a third route.  We also have an old school team that has already deviated from its original look & city, and a team that has come a long way from its original WLAF design to a new NFL-inspired look.  How will it evolve?

All this, plus, on the alt history site, some news about possible movement towards a Dallas franchise.  What identity will they take? 

All starting this weekend.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, WideRight said:

Coming soon... new adidas looks for...

Baltimore

Birmingham

Nashville

Philadelphia

We have 2 clubs that exist in the 2022 version of the USFL, will they start to move in that direction, hold their traditional look, or go a third route.  We also have an old school team that has already deviated from its original look & city, and a team that has come a long way from its original WLAF design to a new NFL-inspired look.  How will it evolve?

All this, plus, on the alt history site, some news about possible movement towards a Dallas franchise.  What identity will they take? 

All starting this weekend.  

Dallas-Ft. Worth in the USFL is gonna be tricky. Will they play in Jerry World, Cotton Bowl, Amon G. Carter or Gerald Ford? Or maybe the Rangers' ballpark in Arlington? Or could they save Texas Stadium from the wrecking ball?

Is Omaha gonna get a team at some point? I would like to see the UFL Nighthawks logo see some action because that was my favorite from that league. Also, Omaha is home to 311, one of my favorite bands.

Later on, if the Chargers still leave San Diego, I would like to see the USFL move in. Maybe with the AAF Fleet logo and have the Admirals or Destroyers as their nickname?

On 10/17/2023 at 11:00 AM, neo_prankster said:

Dallas-Ft. Worth in the USFL is gonna be tricky. Will they play in Jerry World, Cotton Bowl, Amon G. Carter or Gerald Ford? Or maybe the Rangers' ballpark in Arlington? Or could they save Texas Stadium from the wrecking ball?

Is Omaha gonna get a team at some point? I would like to see the UFL Nighthawks logo see some action because that was my favorite from that league. Also, Omaha is home to 311, one of my favorite bands.

Later on, if the Chargers still leave San Diego, I would like to see the USFL move in. Maybe with the AAF Fleet logo and have the Admirals or Destroyers as their nickname?

To your questions:

1) Dallas would not get permission to use Jerry World.  Jones, like Kraft, is a vehement "We should destroy the USFL, not work with them" voice in the NFL.  So, Cotton Bowl seems the best option right now, but that could change over time. 

2) Unlikely, it is such a small city compared to most USFL cities, and it really does not have a viable football stadium.  Someone woudl have to build a new stadium in hopes of getting a team, and that seems unlikely.  That does not mean that the Stealth logo is out of the question, just perhaps not in Omaha.

3) The question with San Diego is where would they go?  The stadium issue is real, but the Raiders never left LA, so they sort of have a claim on the city.  But, that means...?

OK, now on to the first redesign of the Adidas era of the USFL.  Birmingham is up first.  The theme here is simplification (minimalism) as Birmingham uses simple designs (some borrowed from the 2022 USFL) and reduces the use of gold, especially in the White jersey.  The look is clearly Stallions, with a lot of Bama feel to it, but it is more basic.  The wordmark is simplified, but the Stallions do add a new secondary logo, the monogram B from the 2022 USFL.  

Some of the other designs will not be quite so minimalist, and one team makes a major decision about colors. 

spacer.png

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, WideRight said:

To your questions:

1) Dallas would not get permission to use Jerry World.  Jones, like Kraft, is a vehement "We should destroy the USFL, not work with them" voice in the NFL.  So, Cotton Bowl seems the best option right now, but that could change over time. 

2) Unlikely, it is such a small city compared to most USFL cities, and it really does not have a viable football stadium.  Someone woudl have to build a new stadium in hopes of getting a team, and that seems unlikely.  That does not mean that the Stealth logo is out of the question, just perhaps not in Omaha.

3) The question with San Diego is where would they go?  The stadium issue is real, but the Raiders never left LA, so they sort of have a claim on the city.  But, that means...?

OK, now on to the first redesign of the Adidas era of the USFL.  Birmingham is up first.  The theme here is simplification (minimalism) as Birmingham uses simple designs (some borrowed from the 2022 USFL) and reduces the use of gold, especially in the White jersey.  The look is clearly Stallions, with a lot of Bama feel to it, but it is more basic.  The wordmark is simplified, but the Stallions do add a new secondary logo, the monogram B from the 2022 USFL.  

Some of the other designs will not be quite so minimalist, and one team makes a major decision about colors. 

spacer.png

I feel like the white jersey needs a gold outline on the numbers. Otherwise, I actually really like this overall design. 

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 9:10 AM, WideRight said:

I think enough time has passed in this universe where you could get away with Jack Murphy Stadium being renovated if that helps bring the USFL to San Diego. I ask because I'm not sure if the Chargers stayed put in this universe or if they're still trying to replace the Murph.

Next up on the Adidas releases, Philadelphia, and, yes, we are seeing more 2022 USFL style creeping into the 2011 alt history USFL to be sure. 

spacer.png

Some rainbow style stripes on the jerseys, a doppler effect striping on the pants, but still very much the Stars being the Stars.  By the way, the helmets are still a metallic gold.  Hard to capture that in the imaging I am doing.  It looks far more yellow than I would really like.  

• Like 9

On 10/23/2023 at 12:19 PM, raz said:

I could see that "B" becoming a "D" very easily ... 

Yes and no.  I think you have to assume that any team that is based on a "real world"  USFL team is less likely to be relocated, folded, or changed drammatically in this alternative reality, whereas teams based on other leagues are a bit easier to pick on.  So, that means potentially bad news for:

Seattle (WLAF)

Portland (Original/CFL)

Las Vegas (WLAF)

St. Louis (XFL/WLAF)

Nashville (WLAF)

Charlotte (AAF/WLAF)

Boston (Original/Lacrosse)

Chicago (WLAF)

Ohio (WLAF)

Man, I did not really realize how much WLAF I borrowed for this, and how little of the AAF, UFL, and XFL has been used.  I have been using their logos but not their identities, nicknames, etc.  Hmmmm...

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, WideRight said:

Yes and no.  I think you have to assume that any team that is based on a "real world"  USFL team is less likely to be relocated, folded, or changed drammatically in this alternative reality, whereas teams based on other leagues are a bit easier to pick on.  So, that means potentially bad news for:

Seattle (WLAF)

Portland (Original/CFL)

Las Vegas (WLAF)

St. Louis (XFL/WLAF)

Nashville (WLAF)

Charlotte (AAF/WLAF)

Chicago (WLAF)

Ohio (WLAF)

Man, I did not really realize how much WLAF I borrowed for this, and how little of the AAF, UFL, and XFL has been used.  I have been using their logos but not their identities, nicknames, etc.  Hmmmm...

You could also use the A11FL for inspiration.  They never played a game as the league folded but they had some great logo identities.

21 hours ago, WideRight said:

Seattle (WLAF)

Portland (Original/CFL)

Las Vegas (WLAF)

St. Louis (XFL/WLAF)

Nashville (WLAF)

Charlotte (AAF/WLAF)

Chicago (WLAF)

Ohio (WLAF)

Of those in the list, I'd guess that Las Vegas and Boston are at most risk of losing their USFL teams in this scenario due to the poor stadium situations with both

On 10/24/2023 at 5:04 PM, WideRight said:

Next up on the Adidas releases, Philadelphia, and, yes, we are seeing more 2022 USFL style creeping into the 2011 alt history USFL to be sure. 

spacer.png

Some rainbow style stripes on the jerseys, a doppler effect striping on the pants, but still very much the Stars being the Stars.  By the way, the helmets are still a metallic gold.  Hard to capture that in the imaging I am doing.  It looks far more yellow than I would really like.  

This looks great. Personally, I'd like to see an additional secondary logo that repeats the primary only without the word "STARS." It would feel less repetitive on the shoulders of the white jersey. 

• Like 1