USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

Working on the 2005 Playoffs right now, but within the next 1-2 weeks, once the offseason hits, there will be announcements about the two expansion clubs for 2008 as well as the 3 teams that are getting Reebok redesigns in 2007.   There will be 2 opportunities for website visitors to vote during the 2006 season, 

1. Vote on the identity of 2008 expansion team #1

2. Vote on the three bidders for expansion team #2 complete with idenities & logos.  

I will also reveal the 2007 identities for New Jersey (minor changes), Orlando (more significant), and Los Angeles (even more). 

Don't want to get too far ahead with postings here compared to what I am revealing on the actual alt history USFL website. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

SPOILER ALERT---- I am about 3-5 days away from posting info on the USFL Alt History Website about expansion, so if you don't want to know yet, look away.

I get the feeling no one is looking away.  OK, here's the scoop.  

Portland will be getting the first of the two 2008 expansion teams, returning to the league only 5 years after the Portland Thunder unceremoniously departed for Las Vegas.   The PDX Football Group, the winning ownership group, is letting you (and the public at large) decide what identity they will use for their new club. 

The team colors are set;  Deep Forest Brown,  Blaze Orange, and Woodland Buff.  

The names are all iconic animals of the Pacific Northwest. 

All three logos are based on real teams from real leagues.   

I am presenting them here first, one at a time, and then all 3 will be part of the online poll that you can participate in to help me design Portland's new USFL team. 

Today I present the first of three designs, the Portland Pumas.  Fans of alternative football will recognize the design for this logo.  It is the main logo of the Sacramento Mountain Lions of the short-lived United Football league, modified a bit to remove the "S" of Sacramento, and to align with the new color scheme.  

spacer.png

I will reveal the other two logos over the next few days, all leading up to the poll, which will be open until the 2006 Week 4 USFL games are simulated and reported.  Then I will present the full uniform and logo plans for the winning design. 

Next up a logo and animal based on a league that predates the USFL.  A modernized classic from a very different part of the country. 

• Like 3
  • WOAH 1

11 minutes ago, WideRight said:

SPOILER ALERT---- I am about 3-5 days away from posting info on the USFL Alt History Website about expansion, so if you don't want to know yet, look away.

Portland will be getting the first of the two 2008 expansion teams, returning to the league only 5 years after the Portland Thunder unceremoniously departed for Las Vegas.   The PDX Football Group, the winning ownership group, is letting you (and the public at large) decide what identity they will use for their new club. 

I am presenting them here first, one at a time, and then all 3 will be part of the online poll that you can participate in to help me design Portland's new USFL team. 

Today I present the first of three designs, the Portland Pumas.  Fans of alternative football will recognize the design for this logo.  It is the main logo of the Sacramento Mountain Lions of the short-lived United Football league, modified a bit to remove the "S" of Sacramento, and to align with the new color scheme.  

spacer.png

I will reveal the other two logos over the next few days, all leading up to the poll, which will be open until the 2006 Week 4 USFL games are simulated and reported.  Then I will present the full uniform and logo plans for the winning design. 

Next up a logo and animal based on a league that predates the USFL.  A modernized classic from a very different part of the country. 

I feel like this one might not make the cut because of potential objections from the Michigan Panthers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WideRight said:

spacer.png

I think I'm sure where Option #2 is coming from...not going to jinx it, but I'm sure I know what it'll be

1 hour ago, neo_prankster said:

I feel like this one might not make the cut because of potential objections from the Michigan Panthers.

There's at least a borderline case for them to make on it, it could be similar enough based on the puma head

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WideRight said:

Hmmm. I'm guessing that the PDX Football Group's second identity system candidate will be a tribute to the history of Ursus arctos horribilis in the State of Oregon. 

While Oregon is no longer thought to be home to the grizzly bear, it was once part of the species’ range. As such, I could see the name Portland Grizzlies paired with a modernization of the grizzly bear-based logo that graced the Memphis Southmen of the World Football League.

We shall see.

• Like 3

You guys are just too good at guessing my intentions. 

Here is design option #2 of 3.   Based on the Memphis Southmen of the 1970's World Football League, but with influences from several other Bear (particularly bear head) logos,  including the Memphis Grizzlies NBA, U. of Montana, and about 4-6 others.    Those of you who remember my WFL redux will likely see the elements from that project in this one. 

spacer.png

Tomorrow I will reveal the 3rd and final identity option, which comes to us from a relatively recent design.  The actual voting on the USFL Lives website will also start probably over the weekend or Mon/Tue at the latest.   

• Like 4
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, WideRight said:

Here is design option #2 of 3.   Based on the Memphis Southmen of the 1970's World Football League, but with influences from several other Bear (particularly bear head) logos,  including the Memphis Grizzlies NBA, U. of Montana, and about 4-6 others.    Those of you who remember my WFL redux will likely see the elements from that project in this one. 

spacer.png

Tomorrow I will reveal the 3rd and final identity option, which comes to us from a relatively recent design.  The actual voting on the USFL Lives website will also start probably over the weekend or Mon/Tue at the latest.   

Looks like a turkey is crawling up the ass of the bear.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

6 hours ago, WideRight said:

spacer.png

Based on what others have said about this logo, I think it would work without the orange "turkey" portion and be just fine with the bear alone

5 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Or maybe the Stags as a nod to that famous neon sign.

I'd love it if the third of the identity system candidates unveiled by the PDX Football Group paid tribute to the sign that has adorned Portland's White Stag Building since 1940. Beginning in 1957, the sign was altered to feature an outline of the State of Oregon and the silhouette of a leaping white stag. This was part of an advertisement that touted the building as "Home of White Stag Sportswear". While the White Stag company has since left Oregon and the lettering on the sign now reads, "Made in Oregon" and "Oldtown", the illuminated outline of the state and the stag remain on the city-designated historic landmark.

I could see a Portland Stags USFL team adopting imagery and design flourishes inspired by Dane Storrusten's identity system for the Chicago Staggs of the proposed A11FL (oh, how I loved that helmet), or the family of marks unveiled by the Edmonton Elks in 2021.   

• Like 2

16 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

That honestly looks super ugly. Sorry.

I look forward to seeing what the third design will be.

I would really love it if Portland could have a team called the Axemen or the Playtpodes. Or maybe the Stags as a nod to that famous neon sign.

Every time this guy wants Platypodes haha

• LOL 1

6on7h5.jpg

THE Xtreme Fantasy Football League