USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

On 2/3/2023 at 11:43 AM, WideRight said:

Hey all,

A chance for you to influence some choices I will be making.  We are adding 3 new teams through expansion (as well as the return of the Atlanta Fire) and I would love your thoughts on what to do with these possible cities.  So, give me your thoughts, and remember, I am trying to use real world logos/identities as much as possible, but I am fine with relocating teams (NY/NJ Knights to STL or Orlando Thunder to Portland are two examples).  

So, what names/logos do you think make sense for these potential USFL cities?:

St. Louis 

Portland

Dallas

Miami

Charlotte or Raleigh, NC

Virginia Beach/Norfolk

Minneapolis/St. Paul

Kansas City

Feel free to borrow from other pro football leagues or even  other sports as sources of identity for a new USFL club. 

• St. Louis: River Kings (city is located near the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers and is named for King Louis IX of France; logo based on AAF's Atlanta Legends)
  • Portland: Seals (based on The Spring League's Sea Lions)
  • Dallas: Chaparrals (named after former ABA team of the same name, who are now in the NBA as the San Antonio Spurs)
  • Miami: Manatees (based on aborted CFL-USA team of the same name) or Sharks/Makos (logo would be based on the FXFL's Blacktips)
  • Charlotte or Raleigh, NC: Aviators/Flyers (named for the Wright Brothers and the world's first controlled, sustained flights of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft in North Carolina's Outer Banks in 1903; logo would be based on The Spring League's Aviators) or Cobras (named after ArenaFL and NAL version of the team of the same name; logo would be based on ArenaFL's Cobras, but with the colors of the NAL's Cobras)
  • Virginia Beach/Norfolk: Destroyers (based on UFL team of the same name)
  • Minneapolis/St. Paul: Red Hawks/Redhawks/RedHawks (named for the red-tailed hawk, which is commonly found in Minnesota)
  • Kansas City: Beat/Soul/Jazz/Blues (named for the Kansas City Jazz and Jump Blues styles of music that is well recognized in the area; logo based on ArenaFL's Philadelphia Soul)
  • Like 1

YOZXkBG.png?1

48 minutes ago, WideRight said:

Check back tomorrow (Saturday) for the link to the Atlanta Fire "Which Lid is Lit" pick the helmet contest.  3 helmet designs, one will be the official Fire helmet when they return to action as an expansion club in March 2005. 

Hopefully we'll finally see the Rhein Fire helmet see the light of day.

The poll is up everyone.  This is a the first of a series of polls related to the 2006 and 2008 USFL expansion:

1. Pick Atlanta's helmet.

2. Pick the St. Louis Logo/Helmet.

3. Pick the identity from 3 possible names for 2008 Expansion Team #1

4. Pick the city & identity from 3 options for 2008 Expansion Team #2

Here are your three Atlanta choices.  You can vote at the USFL Lives Alt History Website (Ignore the URL saying Boston, Wix won't let me change the URL from the last poll I did.)

aa3b49_e63510bed9454024998197cab90430fb~

5 hours ago, WideRight said:

The poll is up everyone.  This is a the first of a series of polls related to the 2006 and 2008 USFL expansion:

1. Pick Atlanta's helmet.

2. Pick the St. Louis Logo/Helmet.

3. Pick the identity from 3 possible names for 2008 Expansion Team #1

4. Pick the city & identity from 3 options for 2008 Expansion Team #2

Here are your three Atlanta choices.  You can vote at the USFL Lives Alt History Website (Ignore the URL saying Boston, Wix won't let me change the URL from the last poll I did.)

aa3b49_e63510bed9454024998197cab90430fb~

Link gives an error message

• 2 weeks later...

Here is your winner of the Atlanta Fire "Pick the LId" contest, along with the full uniform look.  The next big poll begins early next week, when St. Louis reveals their team name and provides 3 different logo options for fans to vote on. 

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Applause 2

KA-KAW!!!

The latest USFL poll is up and running.  The St. Louis expansion club for 2006 will be the St. Louis Skyhawks, but they want you to help them pick their logo from three options developed with the USFL and Reebok.  Go to the USFL LIVES website and vote for your favorite before the 2005 Week 6 games.  

spacer.png

As described above, the inspiration comes from a combination of the WLAF Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks and the XFL 2.0 and 3.0 St. Louis Battlehawks, with just a smidge of NBA Atlanta Hawks thrown in on one design.  

Some quick notes:

1. I prefer Skyhawks to Battlehawks as a name just because it is less military and more aviation themed.  It also is more alliterative with St. Louis. 

2. The color scheme is that of the 2020 Battlehawks. 

3. It is very likely that at least one of the losing designs will become a secondary logo. 

3. This is for 2006, so by 2024 (or whenever the simulation ends) we should expect some evolution of the design.  Potentially a silver helmet like the 2023 Battlehawks, or perhaps alt helmets are on the way.   But for now, the winning look will be the design for the Battle Hawks.

4.  And, yes, the font is the Star Trek original series font.  I just like it. 

• Like 1

holy cow that logo on the right just made me cream myself. That is one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen. That needs to be the logo with the middle logo as the secondary.. the logo on the left can even be a third logo. They’re all great. 

I do prefer Battlehawks as name since I’m an XFL guy but this is amazing

• LOL 1

6on7h5.jpg

THE Xtreme Fantasy Football League

1 minute ago, BengalErnst said:

holy cow that logo on the right just made me cream myself

Whoa TMI my dude

• LOL 1

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

4 hours ago, WideRight said:

spacer.png

Hmmm. A lot to unpack here.  

Personally, I was never a fan of the Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks’ identity. The name struck me as redundant. Seahawks describes avian creatures that makes their home by the sea. Nighthawks describes avian creatures that are nocturnal in their activity. Skyhawks? They’re hawks, so it goes without saying that they’re active in the sky. The modifier isn’t necessary.  I will concede that the St. Louis Skyhawks moniker is pleasingly alliterative. As for the logo, while I understood the symbolic importance of the mark’s shape given the region the WLAF team called home, it always struck me as looking awkward on the helmet. There was no “flow” to it. That said, the palette you’re using for the St. Louis Skyhawks logo, along with the addition of the Gateway Arch to the mark, do make it much more attractive in my opinion.

I really miss the sword in your adaptation of the Battlehawks’ identity, both in the logo and on the helmet. I’m not sold on the shield/football within the primary mark; I think I'd rather just see a football there.  As for the wings, while I think they have the potential to stand alone as a helmet logo, I don’t think they’d mesh particularly well with either the Option 1 or Option 3 logo serving as a secondary mark.

Ultimately, I’d prefer to see the Option 3 logo serving as both the team’s primary and helmet logo, with the Option 1 mark as a secondary logo (on the jersey sleeves, just under the collar, or on the hips of the pants). I would note that, in my opinion, the contrail for the upper jet in the Option 3 logo would look better passing in front of the furthest leg of the Gateway Arch. It would then give the impression that all three jets passed between the Arch’s legs.

Your work continues to impress!

• Like 1

So we know that Atlanta and St. Louis will be new teams in 2006, and the third team that will get a new Reebok uni in 2006 is the Chicago Machine.  No poll on this one as we are prepping for polling on both 2008 expansion clubs, but Chicago will get a makeover for 2006 and then in 2007 I am looking at New Jersey, LA (again!!??!!) and Orlando.  2008 will be two expansion clubs and the Maulers. 

So, a timeline of new looks:

2006:  ATL, STL, CHI
2007: NJ, LA, ORL

2008: PIT, Expansion 1, Expansion 2

2009: TBD

• Like 3