USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

On 12/4/2022 at 11:50 PM, Bomba Tomba said:

These guys should fire cannons after every touchdown like Tampa does IRL

I expect that will happen.  I should do a story in the league on the unique celebrations and sideline elements of different teams.  You know the Dragons have some pyrotechnics happening, the Thunder have to pump in the thunderclap sound, and the showboats have steam-pumping whistles when they score.  They just have to. 

I am actually wondering what elements of the new XFL teams might make their way into late seasons of the USFL simulation.  I would say the following elements of the new looks (which I suspect you know I am not overly fond of) could make an appearance:

Textured materials (used in more moderation than the XFL is).  Things like snakeskin, dragon scales, the Roughneck oil slick effect, or the DC marble/camo look could be seen in small ways like on collars, cuffs, or pant stripes.  Maybe the odd number here and there. 

Some of the number styles I do like.  I like DC's numbers. I like the use of a transitional color on Seattle's numbers (I could see the Thunder having navy numbers with a green to yellow transition in them) and I think the snakeskin black numbers on LV's white jerseys are pretty effective.  Not all the fonts are great, but some of the effects could work.

I could see the USFL teams around 2018 or later adopting more shoulder "swatches" and sleeve colors rather than stripes, since sleeves are really disappearing.  I think the USFL will move away from a lot of the yokes, though not entirely, and you will not see a lot of Unitard looks in the USFL I design.  I just hate it. 

Oh, and you will never, ever, see solid color socks without white bases or striping of any kind.  That is a hill I am ready to die on.  Sports socks are white, not black or blue, or grey.  You put stripes or color at the calf, but the ankle should be white.  I refuse to even buy exercise socks in any other color, no matter what Nike says.  Call me an old fuddy duddy on that one, but in  my day (ooh, I am old) the only team that had on black socks was the team from Accounting.  

• LOL 1

The evolution of USFL identities continues with the 2004 New Orleans Breakers.  The Breakers decide that their wave pattern was too 1980's and try to update the look with more of a crashing wave focus.  This is not the final version we will see of a Breakers logo, but will be an intermediary stage between two looks.  

So, here is the new primary, a new secondary (which you will recognize from the 2022 USFL), and the new helmets. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next up, the "1 Day" Texas look followed by their final look, and then one more surprise change for 2004 (which honestly won't be very surprising).   Might be until next week before I upload more, but I might produce a NOR design sheet with their new unis this week. 

• Like 8

Hi all, a fun feedback opportunity.  Assuming that I will expand the alt history USFL between 2003 and 2023, what is one logo/identity you hope makes it into the league.  It has to be a real logo/brand from a real league but could be from as far back as the WFL. So that means any logo from…

WFL

Arena Football

WLAF/NFL Europe

XFL 1.0

UFL

FXFL

AAF

XFL 2.0

USFL 2022

XFL 3.0

post a picture of the logo you hope finds its way into the league.  

A couple that I could see being used at some point...

I could see the Orlando Renegades needing a rebrand as the USFL gets into the modern era, so I'd enjoy seeing either the Arena League Predators or AAF Apollos making an appearance. 

Orlando Predators (NAL) - Wikipedia No photo description available.

The Spring League's Linemen logo could be a solid modern update to the Maulers.

The Spring League Reveals Logo of Second Expansion Team

I like the modern USFL's take on the Philadelphia Stars, so it would be welcome from me to see it show up here at some point.

Philadelphia Stars News - USFL | FOX Sports

Sportslogo-Forum-Signature-2.png

On 12/16/2022 at 10:45 PM, WideRight said:

The evolution of USFL identities continues with the 2004 New Orleans Breakers.  The Breakers decide that their wave pattern was too 1980's and try to update the look with more of a crashing wave focus.  This is not the final version we will see of a Breakers logo, but will be an intermediary stage between two looks.  

So, here is the new primary, a new secondary (which you will recognize from the 2022 USFL), and the new helmets. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next up, the "1 Day" Texas look followed by their final look, and then one more surprise change for 2004 (which honestly won't be very surprising).   Might be until next week before I upload more, but I might produce a NOR design sheet with their new unis this week. 

Just amazing! This is the best version I've seen.

N3d5IIl.png

14 hours ago, Wildcomet said:

A couple that I could see being used at some point...

I could see the Orlando Renegades needing a rebrand as the USFL gets into the modern era, so I'd enjoy seeing either the Arena League Predators or AAF Apollos making an appearance. 

Orlando Predators (NAL) - Wikipedia No photo description available.

The Spring League's Linemen logo could be a solid modern update to the Maulers.

The Spring League Reveals Logo of Second Expansion Team

I like the modern USFL's take on the Philadelphia Stars, so it would be welcome from me to see it show up here at some point.

Philadelphia Stars News - USFL | FOX Sports

I think if you look at my 2001 update of Philly you will see a version of this Stars logo with orange.  Here it is from page 36. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WideRight said:

I think if you look at my 2001 update of Philly you will see a version of this Stars logo with orange.  Here it is from page 36. 

spacer.png

I had seen that you had updated it. I was thinking more about if your USFL makes it to like the 2020's that another update may be warranted around that time. I do like this update by the way. It maintains its connection to its roots but does move toward the modern era.

Sportslogo-Forum-Signature-2.png

I'm not sure I'd advocate for this logo in specific (modernized, perhaps), but I always felt the WFL's Southern California Sun was ahead of its time with its color choices. I'd love to see it brought back.

spacer.png

I'm not sure I loved the magenta top /orange bottom combo as much as I do the white jersey, but nevertheless, the palette is appealing to me.

spacer.png

• Like 2

On 12/18/2022 at 1:18 PM, WideRight said:

Hi all, a fun feedback opportunity.  Assuming that I will expand the alt history USFL between 2003 and 2023, what is one logo/identity you hope makes it into the league.  It has to be a real logo/brand from a real league but could be from as far back as the WFL. So that means any logo from…

WFL

Arena Football

WLAF/NFL Europe

XFL 1.0

UFL

FXFL

AAF

XFL 2.0

USFL 2022

XFL 3.0

post a picture of the logo you hope finds its way into the league.  

Nashville Kats (AFL)