USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

Checked the poll just now.  342 total votes (Wow!) and even stranger, all 3 names have exactly 114 votes for them.   This is wild.  

And, just because this is a logo/design website, I want to provide something for you, so here, for your debate fodder, is the current (1988-2003) and proposed (2004) logo for the Texas Outlaws.  Should they make the switch or should fans revolt and want the old "Outlaw Jim" back?

LOGO 1988-2003  (Based on the CFL-USA's San Antonio Texans crossed with the colors of the San Antonio Gunslingers, and with an oddly-familiar blue star included).

spacer.png

LOGO PROPOSED FOR 2004-?  (Based on the short-lived Ottawa Renegades logo, but again with Gunslinger colors). 

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, WideRight said:

So maybe a 1-day change like that weird Niners logo, where fan reaction is hugely against it so it changes back without ever seeing the field.  Any other thoughts on this?

The 49ers-like unveiling, blowback, and immediate reversal of course would make for an interesting footnote in your USFL alternate history timeline. That said, while I believe that "Outlaw Jim" could possibly use a cleaning/tightening up, the wholesale change to something akin to the Ottawa Outlaws-inspired mark is a bridge too far.     

• Like 2

While Texas debates whether to go with a new design for 2004, Houston will have their new look ready to roll.  The Gamblers ditch the "early 2000's Bills" look with mismatched panels, yokes, and pant stripes, and go full on western.   I have shown elements of this before, but here is the full look.  Some notes:

1. The logo is unchanged (main logo) but there is a new wordmark with a more Wild West font.

2. Helmet remains the same, no stripes, very much like the 2022 USFL version.

3. Both jersey's feature the "Western wear" look of piping.  Team logo on sleeves. 

4. Pants also have a version in black and white, with a jaguar-esque red horizontal color block at the knees. 

It's a uniform that makes you want to say "Howdy, pardner".  Click on it to get to the Imgur version where it can be blown up for more detail. 

spacer.png

More on Texas coming soon, plus the Breakers go through a serious modification of their main logo and helmet design. 

• Like 9
  • Love 2
  • Applause 1
  • WOAH 2

Great stuff for the Gamblers, go with the 1 day Outlaws Plan, and one question:

Does this USFL have Mascots?

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

5 hours ago, WideRight said:

While Texas debates whether to go with a new design for 2004, Houston will have their new look ready to roll.  The Gamblers ditch the "early 2000's Bills" look with mismatched panels, yokes, and pant stripes, and go full on western.   I have shown elements of this before, but here is the full look.  Some notes:

1. The logo is unchanged (main logo) but there is a new wordmark with a more Wild West font.

2. Helmet remains the same, no stripes, very much like the 2022 USFL version.

3. Both jersey's feature the "Western wear" look of piping.  Team logo on sleeves. 

4. Pants also have a version in black and white, with a jaguar-esque red horizontal color block at the knees. 

It's a uniform that makes you want to say "Howdy, pardner".  Click on it to get to the Imgur version where it can be blown up for more detail. 

spacer.png

More on Texas coming soon, plus the Breakers go through a serious modification of their main logo and helmet design. 

This Texan approves of this uniform, very country and western. And I may be in the minority, but I like the new proposed Outlaws logo, as it looks more appropriate for the time period. Having a one-day logo would be very interesting nontheless.

• Like 1

xFUdNmt.png

On 11/27/2022 at 10:09 AM, WideRight said:

Checked the poll just now.  342 total votes (Wow!) and even stranger, all 3 names have exactly 114 votes for them.   This is wild. 

For some reason, this reminded me of the 1997 European Grand Prix qualifying:

spacer.png

Triple dead heat.

• Like 2

rAUPGPZ.png

Well, everyone, we are down to the wire on our Boston USFL identity vote.  I have just published the Week 13 recap, and I have already simulated Week 14's games, so all I have to do is write the recap for the week. So, the poll will remain open until 12-midnight (EDT)  tomorrow night.  At that time I will check the results, close the poll and prepare to reveal the new Boston USFL club's identity, and full uniforms in the Week 14 recap on Saturday morning. 

So, if you have not yet voted, now is your last chance.  It is an amazingly tight 3-way vote right now and even a small number of votes cold alter the decision.  I have committed to going with the poll results regardless of how close the vote is.  I will only weigh in if we have a tie at the top, and that very well could happen. 

So, hit up the site if you have not voted yet, and then check back on the main site on Saturday to see what the result is. 

And, in the meantime, I decided at the 11th hour that I really did not like the idea that Reebok would design a whole new logo set for the relocated Knights but essentially keep the St. Louis uniforms intact.  So, removing all the arch-themed elements, I designed a new version of Nashville's uniform, including a new "swordstrike notch" motif that you can see on the new helmet stripe as well as on both the pant and sleeve stripes.   Nashville also becomes the only USFL team to have a single-color number set, with no outlines.  Seems odd that I would not have done this before, though I do tend to like numbers with at least 1 outline, so not that surprising.  

Here is the just released Nashville Knights full design set.  As always, click to go to the Imgur site, where it can be blown up for more detail. 

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

The Knights uniforms are gorgeous. I especially love the detail on the pants and the unique striping patterns on the sleeves and necklines. 

My one quibble is with the helmet logo. It feels off to have the sword essentially pointing backward, as if it's leading with the handle. I would either flip it, or angle it more horizontally across the helmet, so the sword essentially stretches from back to front, almost like the Seahawks. 

• Like 1

While the initial reveal of USFL Boston's identity will occur on the USFL Lives website, for the always amazing followers of Cris Creamer's Sportslogos.net, I present the three uniform designs.  One of these will be taking the field in March of 2003 at Alumni Stadium on the campus of Boston College.   But which one?  Tune in to the USFL Lives website tomorrow to find out. 

Will it be the Cannons, with their explosive new look. 

spacer.png

Or the Colonials, with their revolutionary style?

spacer.png

Or will the Commanders be sailing into Boston?

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Love 1