USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

On 12/18/2022 at 10:18 AM, WideRight said:

Hi all, a fun feedback opportunity.  Assuming that I will expand the alt history USFL between 2003 and 2023, what is one logo/identity you hope makes it into the league.  It has to be a real logo/brand from a real league but could be from as far back as the WFL. So that means any logo from…

WFL

Arena Football

WLAF/NFL Europe

XFL 1.0

UFL

FXFL

AAF

XFL 2.0

USFL 2022

XFL 3.0

post a picture of the logo you hope finds its way into the league.  

I'd like to see the Las Vegas Outlaws (XFL 1), and the Omaha Knighthawks (UFL) personally. And i'll third the idea of the Southern California Sun logo as well. 

xFUdNmt.png

Omaha NightHawks 

LA Extreme from OG XFL

Georgia Force could be a good rebrand for Tampa

New Orleans Voodoo

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

On 12/19/2022 at 9:20 PM, BengalErnst said:

I’m partial to the San Antonio Commanders of the AAF 

EDIT: Wrong AAF Team that I was thinking of

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

On 12/22/2022 at 9:05 AM, gosioux76 said:

spacer.png

I always loved that their QB Daryle Lamonica (#3) went from wearing ubermanly silver and black in the NFL with the Raiders to wearing magenta and orange in the WFL! And I love the combo, don't get me wrong! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

Huh??

Yeah you’re right. After Further Review, it might be better for Texas or new brand for Orlando. Or just an expansion team

spacer.pngspacer.png

On 12/18/2022 at 1:18 PM, WideRight said:

Hi all, a fun feedback opportunity.  Assuming that I will expand the alt history USFL between 2003 and 2023, what is one logo/identity you hope makes it into the league.  It has to be a real logo/brand from a real league but could be from as far back as the WFL. So that means any logo from…

WFL

Arena Football

WLAF/NFL Europe

XFL 1.0

UFL

FXFL

AAF

XFL 2.0

USFL 2022

XFL 3.0

post a picture of the logo you hope finds its way into the league.  

Las Vegas Outlaws (XFL 1.0) I hope to see in this at some point

spacer.png

Also the USFL 2022 Birmingham Stallions

spacer.png

I have an idea for a future expansion, return the USFL to Florida with a team not in Miami, but in Fort Lauderdale 

Broward County is the 6th largest county by population in the US, with a population of 1.6 million, and can thus support a team

And unlike Miami, there isn't another sports property there to take people's attention away, it's also a region that likes football

• Like 1

So, the short-lived Texas Outlaws logo change is about to be published and I realized I never showed you the full uniform.  When the fans reject the new logo, the older version of the Outlaw will return, but the rest of the uniform will basically stay the same.  

So, here is the new look (logo to be determined) for the Outlaws, with a lot of reference points to both San Antonio (Alamo) and Texas (Lone Star).  

spacer.png

• Like 4

Hi all,

Some exciting things coming up in the next few weeks.  Thought I would give you a preview.

1. The three teams that will get new designs for 2005 (revealed during the 2004 season) will be Memphis, Michigan, and Washington.    Perhaps not major adjustments for all 3, but at least one will get a pretty big overhaul.  

2. I am committing to updating both the Teams website as well as the League History page, so check those out from time to time.

3. I am about to announce plans for league expansion from 24 to 28 teams over the next few seasons.  

The expansion will feature the return of a recently relocated team, a city or 2 getting new teams, and at least 1 brand new city.

3.  The two teams joining the league in 2006 will be revealed between the end of the 2004 season and midseason of 2005. 

I have clear identity designs for both, so no fan votes on these two, but, designs, so that is good. 

4. The vote on Boston got such an amazing response that I am planning two big votes that you all can participate in. 

2006:  Vote on the three bids for a 2008 expansion club.  3 cities, all new to the USFL, with identities in place, 

so you are voting on the whole look.  I can tell you now that 1 team is based on a real UFL team, one is

based on a WLAF team that is in a new city (Not the WLAF city) and the third pulls its identity from deep

in local history with the WFL from the 1970's.  Three new locations but logos from the real world. 

4.   In 2007 you will have the chance to vote for the identity of the 4th expansion team, including team names, logos & uniforms.

I won't reveal the city now, but I can tell you that the three identities are based on real teams and logos from other cities

that come from the World Football League, the United Football League, and the Canadian Football League.   I am pulling

indentites from all over the  map and placing them in USFL-appropriate locations.  

5. Once we hit the 2010's the relocation/expansion may not be over.  I am picturing 30 teams by 2020.   I am also planning at 

least 2 potential relocations between now (2003) and 2017.  One impacted by a real world crisis, the other purely ficticious. 

6. Finally, one USFL team will have to decide whether or not to retain their current identity when it becomes politically (culturally) 

problematic.  Think Washington NFL for the model.  Will the team start from scratch or just change one element of their identity        and keep the rest?    You will also get to vote on this.

Lots of chances for you to participate, and lots of posts from me as we move from 2003 closer to the present.  

Hard to believe I have been working on this project since November of 2020, but that is the case.  By my estimation, we will reach current day sometime in 2024, which means I still have 21 seasons left to play out.  Not sure what I will do after that.  I kinda want to learn how to use Adobe illustrator so that I can start over in 1983 and do more photo manipulation to enhance the visuals.  I want to be able to put players like Brett Favre or Brian Urlacher in USFL uniforms.  We shall see.  If I decide to create a 2nd Alt History, it will certainly be very different from this one (kind of like XFL 1.0 vs. 2.0 vs. 3.0).  But, first things first, 21 seasons left to go. 

Also, as a football fan, and more specifically a fan of the Buffalo Bills since the early 1980's, I would ask you to keep Damar Hamlin in your thoughts and prayers.  To support his charity's Go Fund me if you feel so inclined, but to keep him "in the light" as we say at my church.  Truly shocking and tragic, but I am hopeful that he will recover, and live a long healthy life.  

If you have not checked out my ongoing alternate history of the 1980's league, one based on a world where they never tried to move to fall and won a massive NFL settlement in their lawsuit, you can check it out (all the way from 2003 back to 1983) at this website.   Thanks to all for your support over these past 2 years. 

For now, I offer you an idea I gave up on, so that you at least have something to look at.  2005 designs coming soon. 

The Memphis Showboats almost relocated to St. Louis, and I had a contingency if they did.   

Had they moved, they would have largely kept the same look, but with two new logos.  You can see in this mock up that I added a new StL monogram as well as a 2005 commemorative patch that combines the paddlewheel with the Gateway Arch.  The uniforms also hint at St. Louis with "Arch" shoulder stripes and on the collar.  This is not happening, but it could very easily have been the direction I took it.  Decided to keep Memphis in Memphis (despite the questionable financial viability of having 2 teams in Tennessee) just because you all wanted it (fan poll) but also because with 20 years behind them, they certainly had the resources to survive, and Nashville is a burgeoning hotspot city so they will support their team as well.    So, here is what could have been, the St. Louis Showboats. 

spacer.png

• Like 5

5 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

I see that the Thunder have moved to Vegas.

I'm still hoping San Diego gets a USFL team one way or another.

I would say that once the stadium situation in San Diego gets a bit dicier (2010's) there is a chance, especially if the Chargers move out, but they won't move to LA, because the Raiders own that town (Well, and the Express to a degree.)

As we get ready for the 2003 Playoffs leading up to Summer Bowl '03 in Seattle, it's time to reveal the logo for Summer Bowl '04, returning to the city where the first official Summer Bowl was played (after several years of "USFL Championship Games", Orlando.  Bright and sunny is the theme, even though the game will be played at night due to late July Florida heat. 

spacer.png

• Like 2