USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

On 2/3/2023 at 10:43 AM, WideRight said:

Hey all,

A chance for you to influence some choices I will be making.  We are adding 3 new teams through expansion (as well as the return of the Atlanta Fire) and I would love your thoughts on what to do with these possible cities.  So, give me your thoughts, and remember, I am trying to use real world logos/identities as much as possible, but I am fine with relocating teams (NY/NJ Knights to STL or Orlando Thunder to Portland are two examples).  

So, what names/logos do you think make sense for these potential USFL cities?:

St. Louis 

Portland

Dallas

Miami

Charlotte or Raleigh, NC

Virginia Beach/Norfolk

Minneapolis/St. Paul

Kansas City

Feel free to borrow from other pro football leagues or even  other sports as sources of identity for a new USFL club. 

St. Louis-Raiders/Rivermen/Gladiators

Portland-Riverbacks(amolgamation of River Hogs and Razorbacks)/Maniax/Wild

Dallas-Renegades/Vaqueros/Desporados

Miami-Vice/Rage/Pirates

Charlotte-Cobras(based on NAL team)/Racers/Knights

Virginia-Destroyers/Armada/Brigade

Minneapolis-Nordiques/Lakers/Grizzlies

Kansas City-Stampede/Shockers/Mammoths

On 2/3/2023 at 11:43 AM, WideRight said:

Hey all,

A chance for you to influence some choices I will be making.  We are adding 3 new teams through expansion (as well as the return of the Atlanta Fire) and I would love your thoughts on what to do with these possible cities.  So, give me your thoughts, and remember, I am trying to use real world logos/identities as much as possible, but I am fine with relocating teams (NY/NJ Knights to STL or Orlando Thunder to Portland are two examples).  

St. Louis 

Portland

Dallas

Miami

Charlotte or Raleigh, NC

Virginia Beach/Norfolk

Minneapolis/St. Paul

Kansas City

Feel free to borrow from other pro football leagues or even  other sports as sources of identity for a new USFL club. 

St. Louis Saints - Based on LFL

Portland Forest Dragons - Based on Arena Football

Dallas Desperados - Based on Arena Football

Miami Hooters - Based on Arena Football & cause why not, it would be AWESOME!

Charlotte Racers - Based on NASCAR

Virginia Destroyers - Based on UFL

Minneapolis Blizzard - Based on history of blizzards in MN

Kansas City Sweethearts - Based on the slogan "Heart of America"

On 2/3/2023 at 10:43 AM, WideRight said:

Hey all,

St. Louis 

Portland

Dallas

Miami

Charlotte or Raleigh, NC

Virginia Beach/Norfolk

Minneapolis/St. Paul

Kansas City

I'll give my two cents...

St. Louis Stampede - Based on the AAF Salt Lake Stallions logo

Portland Wolves - Based on the IFL Seattle Timberwolves logo

Dallas Desperados - Bring back the name/logo from the Arena Football League

Miami Voodoo - Based on the Arena Football New Orleans Voodoo logo. Unless the Breakers move after 2005 and the New Orleans Voodoo can come in as an expansion team, the logo is too good to not use and it would fit well in Miami if New Orleans isn't an option.

Charlotte Legends  - Based on the AAF Atlanta Legends logo - give them a backstory of Michael Jordan buying into the ownership. Done and done.

Virginia Beach Blacktips - Based on the FXFL Florida Blacktips logo

Minnesota Odinsons - Based on the EFLI Hyderabad Skykings

Kansas City Bombers - Based on the Arena Football League Kansas City Command logo.

Sportslogo-Forum-Signature-2.png

On 2/3/2023 at 8:43 AM, WideRight said:

Hey all,

St. Louis 

Portland

Dallas

Miami

Charlotte or Raleigh, NC

Virginia Beach/Norfolk

Minneapolis/St. Paul

Kansas City

Charlotte Monarchs (WLAF London Monarchs or NFLE England Monarchs logo)

St. Louis Battle Wings (An amalgam of the WLAF Claymores and XFL Battle Hawks?)

Dallas Desperados (ArenaFL Desperados and XFL Dallas/Arlington Renegades?)

Miami Hooters (ArenaFL Hooters?)

Virginia Admirals (WLAF/NFLE Amsterdam logo?)

Kansas City Stealth (ArenaFL Bridgae or Command logo?)

Minnesota Pike (ArenaFL Fighting Pike?)

Porland Platypodes (Amalgam of Oregon Ducks and Oregon State Beavers)

Portland Axemen (XFL Memphis Maniax "Ax" logo?)

7 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Charlotte Monarchs (WLAF London Monarchs or NFLE England Monarchs logo)

St. Louis Battle Wings (An amalgam of the WLAF Claymores and XFL Battle Hawks?)

Dallas Desperados (ArenaFL Desperados and XFL Dallas/Arlington Renegades?)

Miami Hooters (ArenaFL Hooters?)

Virginia Admirals (WLAF/NFLE Amsterdam logo?)

Kansas City Stealth (ArenaFL Bridgae or Command logo?)

Minnesota Pike (ArenaFL Fighting Pike?)

Porland Platypodes (Amalgam of Oregon Ducks and Oregon State Beavers)

Portland Axemen (XFL Memphis Maniax "Ax" logo?)

You’re always all about a team named the Platypodes haha 

6on7h5.jpg

THE Xtreme Fantasy Football League

Some really creative and intriguing ideas.   I will be prepping for the St. Louis and Atlanta identities soon, so keep an eye out for that, and here are just a few other items to expect in the next few weeks:

1.  Atlanta will have a "pick the helmet" contest with three different designs.
  2. St. Louis will have a "pick the logo" contest, same team name, three different logo options, each with their helmet treatment.

Then we get into the 2008 expansion world.  I can't say much there, but I can say that...

• One 2008 expansion team will be a name the team contest with 3 different identities, but all will share a color combo from a WLAF club, a color combo completely unique within the USFL of 2008 (or any real version of the USFL). 
  • The other will have 3 different groups all bidding to get a team to their city, and you (and those who visit the page) will get to pick which one gets it.  I will, as I did with the Boston contest, abide by the public's choice. 

I can also say that some of you have locked into the names and real world logos I am considering.  Not all of them, sorry Platypodes, that is not likely to happen, but several.  

• Like 5

Spirits of St. Louis - Inspired by Charles Lindbergh's aircraft and featuring a modernized take on the ABA franchise's logo as the team's primary mark. The helmets could feature aviator goggles on them in the style of the Arena Football League's Iowa Barnstormers.

Portland Steelheads or Portland Stags -The first identity refers to the form of coastal rainbow trout that is spawned in fresh water, later migrates to the Pacific Ocean, lives in the saltwater body for several years, then returns to their natal waterways to spawn. Steelhead - known for their line-peeling runs and acrobatic leaps while fighting - are highly regarded game fish. A search of the internet will turn up no shortage of logos from Steelheads franchises in a variety of sports that could serve as inspiration for a team logo in your take on the USFL.

As for Portland Stags, the name is a nod to to the illuminated sign that has adorned Portland's White Stag Building since 1940. Beginning in 1957, the sign was altered to feature an outline of the State of Oregon and the silhouette of a leaping white stag. This was part of an advertisement that touted the building as "Home of White Stag Sportswear". While the White Stag company has since left Oregon and the lettering on the sign now reads, "Made in Oregon" and "Oldtown", the illuminated outline of the state and the stag remain on the city-designated historic landmark. I could see a Portland Stags USFL team adopting a helmet much like the one Dane Storrusten designed for the Chicago Staggs of the proposed A11FL.           

Dallas Wings/Flight or Dallas Vipers - When choosing an identity package for a Dallas-based USFL team, I'd love to see you go in a direction that isn't the stereotypical Cowboy/Wild West theme. Your USFL is already home to the Bandits, Gamblers, Outlaws, and Wranglers... with two of those teams based in Texas and three in the Southwest. About the closest I'd be willing to see a Dallas-based team get to the Old West would be adopting an equine-centric logo... albeit, one based off of the Pegasus sign atop downtown's Magnolia Hotel. That winged horse has not only been a landmark in the city's skyline for going on 89 years, but it can be seen as a nod to the significant role that aviation has played in the development of North Texas. Dallas-Fort Worth is home to the world's largest airline (American), the world's biggest low-cost carrier (Southwest), the fifth-busiest global airport in the world based upon capacity of flights in 2022 (Dallas Fort Worth International), and the world's first 100=percent industrial airport designed for cargo and corporate aviation (Fort Worth Alliance Airport). I don't know whether the WNBA's Dallas Wings exist in the world of your USFL, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Dallas Wings or Dallas Flight taking to the field in your circuit. Nothing too over-the-top with regard to branding either. A straightforward depiction of that winged, red horse on each side of the helmet... a classic red, white, and blue color scheme... and a primary logo consisting of the aforementioned creature accompanied by a simple word mark.

Barring that, I'd opt for Dallas Vipers. Dallas is well within the range of the western diamondback rattlesnake. While I'm normally a sucker for alliteration, Dallas Diamondbacks strikes me as a bit of a mouthful. Diamondback rattlers being members of the viper family,  that name will do... and it has some "punch" to it. There are plenty of great Vipers logos online to draw inspiration from.                    

Miami Makos, Miami Mantas/Manta Rays or Miami Morays - The logo of the Fall Experimental Football League's Florida Blacktips could be reworked as a mark for a team dubbed the Miami Makos. Similar to the situation with finding an inspiration for a Steelheads mark, a web search will turn up plenty of Manta Ray-based logos. I also recall a team named the Miami Morays playing in one of the indoor football circuits - I want to say the National Indoor Football League - in the early 2000s.  

Carolina Monarchs or Carolina Rhinos/Carolina Rampage -While I like CDCLT's suggestion of transferring the Atlanta Legend's logo and color scheme to Charlotte for a Carolina Monarchs USFL franchise, I've also long thought that there was something pleasing about the way the name Carolina Rhinos rolls off the tongue. That name - or Carolina Rampage - could be paired with the primary mark  of the Arena Football League's Grand Rapids Rampage for a pretty sharp identity. I also like the logos that pro soccer's Rochester Rhinos introduced in 2016.

Virginia Destroyers or Virginia Ironclads - The first identity would be a tribute to the U.S. Navy's presence in the Hampton Roads region and would utilize much of the work you created for your outstanding Boston Commanders logo and uniform proposal. 

The second would not only serve as a tribute to the historic U.S. Navy presence in the region, but would also reference the USS Monitor and the CSS Virginia (formerly the USS Merrimack). These two ships - the first ironclad vessels to meet in combat - engaged on the second day of the Battle of Hampton Roads, which took place just offshore of where the piers of Naval Station Norfolk are situated today. I could see using the San Diego Destroyers/Boston Commanders logo as the basis for an Ironclads logo, but altering the mark to depict one of the ironclads - likely the Virginia as it had a more distinct shape above the waterline - in the original mark's minimalist style.     

Minnesota Legends - When looking to American folklore, why limit yourself to basing a team identity upon a single figure? If Babe the Blue Ox is a good source of inspiration, it stands to reason that Babe and his constant companion - Paul Bunyan - are a GREAT source of inspiration. So, why not use them both under the Minnesota Legends name? "Minnesota Legends Football.... it's LARGER THAN LIFE." I could see using something akin to these simple silhouettes in a primary mark and/or as a helmet logo.

spacer.png

Kansas City Bombers or Kansas City Stealth - Where the identity of their cross-state rivals embraces aeronautical history, Kansas City's USFL entry is all about invoking images of modern aerospace combat with their name and logos. Either of these team names references the fact that the USAF's B-2s are based at Whiteman Air Force Base, just over 53 miles - as the bomber flies - from Arrowhead Stadium.  

As always, I'm eager to see what you whip up!       

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Spirits of St. Louis - Inspired by Charles Lindbergh's aircraft and featuring a modernized take on the ABA franchise's logo as the team's primary mark. The helmets could feature aviator goggles on them in the style of the Arena Football League's Iowa Barnstormers.

Always loved this name

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

albeit, one based off of the Pegasus sign atop downtown's Magnolia Hotel. That winged horse has not only been a landmark in the city's skyline for going on 89 years, but it can be seen as a nod to the significant role that aviation has played in the development of North Texas.

Maybe you CAN see it as a nod to aviation, but it was there because that was the logo/symbol of the Magnolia Oil Company, and back when the Pegasus was installed in 1934,  the building (built in 1922) was not the Magnolia Hotel,  but the oil company headquarters and was known as the Magnolia Petroleum Building. 

In 1959, Magnolia merged with Mobil and the red Pegasus moved up to become the Mobil logo:

spacer.png spacer.png

• Like 2

It is what it is.

5 hours ago, B-Rich said:

Maybe you CAN see it as a nod to aviation, but it was there because that was the logo/symbol of the Magnolia Oil Company, and back when the Pegasus was installed in 1934,  the building (built in 1922) was not the Magnolia Hotel,  but the oil company headquarters and was known as the Magnolia Petroleum Building. 

I was aware of the history of both the building and the logo.  That said, a winged horse paired with an oil-themed team name - Drillers, Oilers, Roughnecks, etc.  - meant to evoke the legacy of the structure and the mark seemed to be needlessly confusing.

When I suggested that the Pegasus logo could be seen as a nod to the role that aviation has played in the growth and development of North Texas, it was meant to mirror the type of branding decision a team might well make in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex of today. Indeed, there’s a reason that the logo of the  WNBA’s Dallas Wings draws upon the Pegasus for inspiration, while the team name eschews a reference to the oil industry that begat said mark. Namely, with each passing year there are fewer folks who either actually remember the connection, or can be bothered to do the research to find out about it.

Then again, maybe in the world of WideRight’s USFL the franchise is actually owned by the Irving, Texas-based ExxonMobil of the late-‘80s through 2022. They might be the Dallas Wildcatters… with a flying horse on their helmets.

• Like 1

OK, as I wrap up the 2004 season and prepare for the Atlanta and St. Louis polls, a quick Chris Creamer Website Only poll for you.  I am going to list the current color combos of the league and then propose a few new color combos.  Let me know which color combos or colors you would love to see make an appearance. 

CURRENT

BAL  Red, Royal & Silver   

NJ     Red, Royal & Gold

PHI   Red, Metallic Gold & Orange

WSH  Kelly Green & Black

BOS Navy, Grey, & Yellow

JAX  Maroon, Orange & Dark SIlver

ORL  Light Royal, Black & Silver

TBY  Red, Black & Silver

CHI  Maroon, Grey & Sky

MGN Maroon, Sky & Champagne gold

OHI  Royal & Red

PIT  Purple, Orange & Grey

BIR  Red & Metallic Gold

MEM  Red & Silver Sky

NSH  Purple, Metallic Gold & Silver

NOR  Teal, Navy Teal & Silver

ARZ  Red, Blue, Yellow & Copper

DEN  Black & Yellow

HOU  Black & Red

TEX  Green, Royal & Black

LV  Lime, Navy, Sky & Yellow

LA  Navy, Pale blue & Silver

OAK  Yellow, Sky & Navy

SEA  Forest, Red & Yellow

ATL  Navy, Orange, & Yellow 

OK, Here are several possible new combos, what do you think of these and would you suggest any others.

Navy, Royal & Silver                 (XFL Battlehawks)

Navy, Sky & Metallic Gold   (UFL Colonials)

Maroon, Red & Grey               (AAF Commanders)

Brown, Orange & Gold          (WLAF Riders)

Purple & Yellow                         (NFL Vikings)

Orange & Green                        (U of Miami)

Royal & Orange                          (Old School Broncos)

Brown & Metallic Gold          (Western Michigan)

Green & Yellow                          (NFL Packers)

Red & Sky                                      (NFL Oilers)

Black & Metallic Gold            (NFL Saints)

Black & Silver                              (NFL Raiders)

Black & Orange                          (NFL Bengals)

We have 3 expansion teams coming, and possibly some more new teams beyond that, plus there is always the chance that a USFL team will pull a Detroit Pistons move and abandon not only their current logo scheme but their color scheme as well. 

I could definitely see LV and Nashville changing color schemes. Being recently relocated and keeping the names from their former cities, they'd see a color swap as a way to appeal to the new fanbases. Black and gold for Vegas maybe. Nashville going in a different direction would also free up the purple St. Louis loves so much. Just in general I'd love to see

Brown, Orange, & Gold

Orange & Green

Royal & Orange

Black & Orange

I'd like to see the following

Navy, Gold and Silver (XFL LA Xtreme)

Black, Burgundy and Gold (WLAF Rhein Fire)

Black, Neon blue and silver (NFL Panthers)

Eggplant and Jade (NHL Ducks)

Purple and Columbia Blue (NBA Jazz)

Purple and Teal (NBA Hornets)

Black, purple and silver (MLB Rockies)

Navy, orange and green (WLAF Admirals and XFL Sea Dragons)

Navy, Royal and Silver (WLAF Claymores)

Blue, red and old gold (WLAF Monarchs)

Red, green and black (WLAF Skyhawks)

Blue, red and yellow (ArenaFL Avengers)

Black, orange, gold, green (Berlin Thunder)

Black, Teal and orange (NHL Sharks)

Teal, Black, red and gold (NBA Pistons)

Teal, Black and copper (Arizona Rattlers)

• Like 1