USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

And we move to the Southern DIvision.  Notes:

• Birmingham goes the Chicago route and puts the state flag at the 20.
  • Nashville uses both their gold and silver secondary colors with each endzone getting one.
  • New Orleans uses their new NOLA monogram.

spacer.png

• Like 5

21 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

@WideRight

How many USFL teams play on real grass?

How many play on artificial turf?

How many play in retractable roof or domed stadiums?

Let's see ...

Baltimore           Turf

New Jersey        Turf

Philadelphia      Grass

Washington       Grass

Boston                  Turf

Jacksonville      Grass

Orlando              Turf

Tampa                   Grass

Chicago               Grass

Michigan            Turf/Dome

Ohio                      Turf

Pittsburgh         Grass

Birmingham      Grass

Memphis             Grass

Nashville             Grass

New Orleans    Turf/Dome

Arizona             Grass

Denver              Grass

Houston           Turf/retractable Dome

Texas                  Turf/Dome

Las Vegas         Turf

LA                         Grass

Oakland            Grass

Seattle               Turf

and, while I am here, our next 4 fields, the Southwest division.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Salvaged that Outlaws logo, huh?! 

That Gamblers end zone better have a line between tops of the G and S or you won't be able to tell if a receiver got his foot in bounds. OR, debut it like that and then have a big controversy over just that, a key game swings on a pass being called out/in, necessitating a change and some sort of new league rule on end zone lines! 

• Like 3

Our 2nd new USFL look for 2004 is a modification of the design for the Memphis Showboats.  Fresh off their dabbling with a possible move to St. Louis, the Showboats reconnect with their history and bring in some new elements as they try to bond with their fanbase.  After spending the better part of the 2004 season playing "home" games in Oxford, MS and Little Rock, AR, as the Liberty Bowl is refurbished, the Showboats try to evoke nostalgia for better times with their new look.  Highlights include:

• A dropping of black as a secondary color, reverting back to the "old school" look of scarlet & silver sky.
  • Bringing back the scarlet helmet stripe, though as a tapered stripe rather than a traditional stripe.
  • Adding a new secondary logo which includes an M with two steamboat smokestacks and a silver sky wake.  This is abou thte only black which remains in their look.  (It is, as you certainly recognize, a feature of the 2023 IRL Showboats, recolored and dropped into 2004 instead). 
  • A simplified shoulder and sleeve treatment with a tapered stripe and solid color sleeves with no sleeve logo. 
  • New drop shadow numbers in 2 colors only. 
  • A new pant stripe that is a simple tapered stripe (as with the helmet and shoulders, and includes the new secondary logo on each hip. 

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Love 1

A little preview of the redesign for the Federals.  They retain their main logo, but incorporate some new elements like a new "monetary-influenced" wordmark, a secondary logo, and new uniforms.   Here is the new primary with their new wordmark.  

spacer.png

• Like 9

And here is the second new element of Washington's look, a secondary logo inspired by the logo for Homeland Security, the office created after 9/11.  The Federals, along with the Generals, are both continuing to reference 9/11 on a pretty regular basis (patches, special fund raisers, salutes to the NYPD/FDNY, etc)  and this logo is another way to do this.  The logo appears on the uniform and in some print media. 

spacer.png

And here is the new helmet.  Washington removed the wrap around element of the logo and has brought back a more traditional stripe pattern.  We will see if the rest of the uniform is more traditional or does some new things. 

spacer.png

• Like 5

And finally the full look for the 2005 Washington Federals. Notes after the image. 

spacer.png

Just a few items to highlight:

1. The numbers on the jersey try to use the same US$ style as the new wordmark.  Nots sure if those work or not. 

2. The new secondary is on the collar. 

3. The sleeve stripes extending to the collar are from Nike's short-lived Browns look.  I tested out putting the team name on the pants, but it was so horrible I could not do that to the Feds. 

4. The green is slightly darker than in the past. 

5. No silver, as the Feds stick closer to their 1983 look than 1984. 

6. This is not the last look for the team in the league that has changed their logo and uni's most frequently.  Still 1 or 2 more on the way between 2006-2024. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • WOAH 1

Hey all,

A chance for you to influence some choices I will be making.  We are adding 3 new teams through expansion (as well as the return of the Atlanta Fire) and I would love your thoughts on what to do with these possible cities.  So, give me your thoughts, and remember, I am trying to use real world logos/identities as much as possible, but I am fine with relocating teams (NY/NJ Knights to STL or Orlando Thunder to Portland are two examples).  

So, what names/logos do you think make sense for these potential USFL cities?:

St. Louis 

Portland

Dallas

Miami

Charlotte or Raleigh, NC

Virginia Beach/Norfolk

Minneapolis/St. Paul

Kansas City

Feel free to borrow from other pro football leagues or even  other sports as sources of identity for a new USFL club. 

I really like the idea of using the Atlanta Legends logo and even color scheme for a Charlotte Monarchs club, which would of course be my first choice for expansion. Also from the AAF, the Fleet logo would be great for the Hampton Roads area. I'd also suggest taking a look at Major League Lacrosse, you could easily do something with the Riptide and Pride logos. Major League Rugby's Dallas Jackals logo is great as well. Logo-wise, the Overwatch League has a great selection, and its sister league the Call of Duty League also has a couple.

the user formerly known as cdclt

OK here's my fleshed-out ideas:

Charlotte Hotrods (or Hot Rods) - Bowling Green Hot Rods of High-A baseball (newer logos)

Kansas City Cavalry - Georgia Force sword logo with KC on the shield
Kansas City Bombers - Wichita Stealth secondary and helmet logos

St. Louis Explorers - Great Falls Explorers of the Continental Basketball Association

On 2/3/2023 at 11:43 AM, WideRight said:

Hey all,

A chance for you to influence some choices I will be making.  We are adding 3 new teams through expansion (as well as the return of the Atlanta Fire) and I would love your thoughts on what to do with these possible cities.  So, give me your thoughts, and remember, I am trying to use real world logos/identities as much as possible, but I am fine with relocating teams (NY/NJ Knights to STL or Orlando Thunder to Portland are two examples).  

So, what names/logos do you think make sense for these potential USFL cities?:

St. Louis 

Portland

Dallas

Miami

Charlotte or Raleigh, NC

Virginia Beach/Norfolk

Minneapolis/St. Paul

Kansas City

Feel free to borrow from other pro football leagues or even  other sports as sources of identity for a new USFL club. 

St. Louis - Nighthawks (cross between old Knights name in the simulated USFL and XFL 2.0/3.0 BattleHawks)

Portland - Breakers (if New Orleans is forced to move due to Katrina), Storm (in reference to 1974 WFL team)

Dallas - Roughnecks (XFL 2.0/3.0 Houston Roughnecks)

Miami - Manatees (proposed CFL team), Barracudas (CFL Birmingham Barracudas), Tropics (SFL 2000)

Charlotte/Raleigh (Carolina) - Monarchs (WLAF London Monarchs)

Virginia - Destroyers (UFL)

Minnesota - Blue Ox (Roller Hockey team from the 1990s)

Kansas City - Commanders (AAF San Antonio Commanders, reference to Arena League's Kansas City Command)