USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

The poll is now live so I can reveal the three potential identities for Boston's new 2002 USFL squad.  You can vote for your favorite here.

Boston Colonials:  Despite the potential lawsuit from the Patriots, this option remains the preference of the ownership group, and if the USFL can get a deal with the NFL to avoid a lawsuit, they want this to be an option.  Based on a modified version of the UFL's Hartford Colonials, with the wings no longer forming an H but out to the sides.  It is still designed to resemble a revolution-era medal worn by a military commander.  The colors are metallic gold (brighter than Birmingham's, but not as saturated with yellow as Philadelphia's gold), navy blue, and a medium "gunmetal" grey.  The helmet features a thin grey stripe bordered by thicker navy stripes and a 3-star pattern by the back bumper.  This is the only one of the three designs to feature metallic gold v. athletic gold (yellow) and the only one without a navy helmet. 

spacer.png

Option 2 is based on a real logo used for a Boston club, the Boston Cannons of pro lacrosse.  Colors changed, explosion pattern also changed.  This design, like option 3, will be navy blue, gunmetal grey, and athletic gold.  The helmet features a thick grey stripe that ends at the bumper with the blast pattern from the logo in gold and white. 

spacer.png

And finally Option 3, the Boston Commanders, a naval theme which ties in with the city's rich naval history (as Brian in  Boston outlined).  Based on the AAF's San Diego Fleet logo, this design features the chevron pattern of military insignia as a key motif.  The helmet stripe is yellow with a white and grey chevron at the front bumper.   The name was chosen for 2 reasons, first, I am not a big fan of singular names (Fleet, Rage, Express, etc.) and try to limit my use of them, and second, I have a BC monogram (visible in the article about the poll on the website, which I had hoped to use for any of the three, so all three needed names that started with "C".  Besides, by using this name the USFL would preempt the NFL, possibly allowing us to avoid the disaster that is Washington's new branding.  

spacer.png

Still not 100% convinced of the font on this one.  Might update it.  

So, head on over to the site to vote.  The poll will stay up until I post the recap of Week 14, then the winner will be chosen from your votes (votes from all who do the poll, not just Creamer fans) and the new identity and uniform will be revealed at that time. 

(And, as with all the logos and uniforms in the league, do not expect it to remain static from 2003 all the way until 2022 or later-- I did the math, by the time I complete 2022 season it may be 2024 or 2025 in real life, so the league will go until it catches up with reality.)

1 hour ago, ralphz said:

On your website, I'm not seeing a button or anything to actually register a vote. 

The link should take you to the poll page, and there is a poll on the bottom where you should be able to to register your vote.  Is it not showing up for you?  

I've always felt that gradient-heavy Colonials set is overly busy and the mark itself is too detailed to work effectively on the side of the helmet.

My two cents, which you can feel free to discard: You've got an opportunity to do an Eagles-like winged helmet here with that logo (minus the roundel adornments.) What that has to do with "Colonials" I don't know, but it would seem to be a more engaging way to use this logo than what you have here. 

Short of that, I voted for Cannons, because I feel it fits Boston by the others. If purely on aesthetics, I'd pick Commanders. I just like the Boston Cannons name better. 

• Like 1

I voted for Boston Commanders. It strikes me as the clear standout amongst the three proposed identities.

Like gosioux76, I've always found the Colonials' logo package to be too busy and detailed for its own good. As a result, it doesn't register particularly well at small sizes or from a distance.  I'd describe it as the very definition of over-designed.

Further, I just can't conceive of a real world scenario in which ownership of the NFL's New England Patriots and NFL executives wouldn't fight tooth and nail to prevent the adoption of such a similarly themed identity by a franchise operating in the same market. Nor do I believe that a truly savvy USFL ownership group looking to set up shop in Boston in 2003 would be content to simply ape the branding theme of the NFL team that's about to play its 44th season in said market. Rather, I have to believe that they'd be looking to carve out a unique identity for themselves.            

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WideRight said:

The link should take you to the poll page, and there is a poll on the bottom where you should be able to to register your vote.  Is it not showing up for you?  

I tried in a different browser, it wasn't showing up in Chrome for me. It showed up in Edge.

It is early, but Colonials is out to the lead.  I expect the polls will be open for 9-12 days, based on how long it will take me to simulate and publish the stories for weeks 8-14.   I should publish quite a bit this week as I am on vacation for the holidays and avoiding my in-laws (downstairs) by working on this as much as possible. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

My vote was for Boston Commanders; I did so on the basis that the Patriots would raise enough of a fuss over the Colonials name that it would never be used, and I liked the Commanders name with the Fleet logo; also the factor that it would have prevented the Washington Football Team from taking that name sold it for me

For the Colonials, how would the wings look spread across the helmet like the Eagles do? Obviously it would have to be a simplified version of the logo.

For the Commanders, given the naval theme, I think Commodores would fit better (either way expect people to call them "Commies" in this universe lol)

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

Voting still open for the Boston USFL identity (already close to 100 votes.  I am so grateful and in awe of the following this this has picked up.)   I am also prepping the Reebok redesigns for 3 clubs in 2004:  

• Texas Outlaws will be borrowing some style from north of the border. 
  • Houston Gamblers ditch the ugly 2000's Bills look for something so Texas it is practically made of brisket.
  • New Orleans goes new wave, just not the Depeche Mode or Eurythmics type. 

But, for your viewing pleasure, before those releases are made, here are the next two Summer Bowl Logos,   2002 at Heinz Field, and 2003 in the Emerald City. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

On 11/22/2022 at 6:40 PM, WideRight said:

It is early, but Colonials is out to the lead.  I expect the polls will be open for 9-12 days, based on how long it will take me to simulate and publish the stories for weeks 8-14.   I should publish quite a bit this week as I am on vacation for the holidays and avoiding my in-laws (downstairs) by working on this as much as possible. 

I just glanced at the current results...looks like a big-time surge for Cannons, it jumped both Colonials and Commanders, and boy did it ever!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dozap17 said:

I just glanced at the current results...looks like a big-time surge for Cannons, it jumped both Colonials and Commanders, and boy did it ever!

Not just a big surge there, but a bite surge in votes altogether

Update: Colonials just had a big surge and is now rivaling Cannons for the top spot

Edited by Vinny0930
Wanted to give an update on the poll

2 hours ago, Vinny0930 said:

Update: Colonials just had a big surge and is now rivaling Cannons for the top spot

As of now Cannons is up by nine votes on Colonials, but yeah a big surge for both of them, Commanders is a distant third, yesterday it was around 100 total votes, now it's at 246 votes across all three choices

3 hours ago, Vinny0930 said:

Yes, a ton of votes have come in between Friday and Today.  We are now at 250 votes (I had no idea that many people even knew about the site) and Cannons holds a 108-97 lead over Colonials, with Commanders a distant third.  Voting is likely to continue through this upcoming week, so it is not over yet.