2021 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVI

canzman

On 1/7/2022 at 8:20 AM, BBTV said:

.  Or it could be that the players simply don't like the green pants so they won't go mono or wear them on the road anymore (some players, even those who aren't here anymore, have called them the "slow green pants".)

I can understand the psychology here if we were talking about preferring the white pants, which the Eagles generally have in recent years. The psychology is nonexistent in the context of preferring black pants to the midnight green ones, however. They're both dark; one isn't going to look or feel any faster than the other.

spacer.png

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

And that was probably Nike's most successful redesign!

This is an interesting take. Denver's cyberhorse unis have stood the test of time (three Lombardis will certainly help with that). But what other Nike re-creations are even in this conversation? Seattle's current set could be on their way, but we're only in year ten of that set.

6uXNWAo.png

Just now, Cujo said:

This is an interesting take. Denver's cyberhorse unis and stood the test of time (winning 3 Lombardis will help with that). But what other Nike re-creations are even in this conversation?

Minnesota and Seattle.  Even back in the mid-late '90s, I'm not sure how much actual design work Nike was doing for the NFL.  I know they did those Broncos uniforms, but the other Nike teams either kept their existing designs or may have used in-house or 3rd-party design teams.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 minutes ago, Cujo said:

This is an interesting take. Denver's cyberhorse unis have stood the test of time (three Lombardis will certainly help with that). But what other Nike re-creations are even in this conversation? Seattle's current set could be on their way, but we're only in year ten of that set.

I hope Minnesota never changes their uniforms again.

2 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

I hope Minnesota never changes their uniforms again.

Perhaps some modifications along the way. Their wavey-pointy numbers and BFBS facemask will eventually be replaced.

6uXNWAo.png

5 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Minnesota and Seattle.  Even back in the mid-late '90s, I'm not sure how much actual design work Nike was doing for the NFL.  I know they did those Broncos uniforms, but the other Nike teams either kept their existing designs or may have used in-house or 3rd-party design teams.

Ah, you chimed in during my edit. The 'Hawks definitely have a shot of being around for a while. Perhaps down the road they'll simplify the unis, remove the chest stripes and remove the that ridiculous/unnecessary giant sticker going down the middle of their helmet. You can hardly see it and when visible it seems so unnecessary.

6uXNWAo.png

19 minutes ago, Cujo said:

The wavey-pointy numbers and BFBS facemask will eventually be replaced.

Maybe, but I wouldn’t mind if they kept both of them. I’d still take their current uniforms over anything else in their history. 

Beyond the Vikings, I’d say most Nike redesigns have soured on me since their unveilings. I liked the Dolphins, Jets, and Seahawks at their reveals, but I’m kind of tired of all of them now. 

Some of Nike’s more recent redesigns have been pretty successful though I’d say, the Chargers & the Bengals being standouts. I wouldn’t really count the Browns or Bucs, since those are just returns to previous uniforms, essentially admissions of Nike’s missteps.

34 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

Titans in all white, Colts in all white, Jags in white yoga pants. AFC South, what's going on buddy?

This division has been a disaster for years. Titans are just an all around embarrassment favoring navy and looking too similar to Houston, Jags set is too boring and their sock situation is bizarre, Texans is boring and outdated, Colts now refuse to wear blue socks with the white jersey.

31 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Seattle, definitely. Though if Russ leaves and they blow everything up (including the uniforms), then the Hawks don't count anymore.

Pittsburgh is actually another good candidate, though the number change from block to italics isn't nearly as comprehensive as the Seattle and Denver changes were.

Some might suggest the Chargers, but I think it's too soon. Some of the more recent changes seem to be designed to exist for 5-10 years. And I also don't count Minnesota, since all they really did was revert an ugly set back to what was there before, but with some Nike flourishes because they just have to.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Active Nike creations:

Atlanta Falcons

Cincinnati Bengals

Cleveland Browns

Denver Broncos

Detroit Lions

Jacksonville Jaguars

Los Angeles Chargers

Los Angeles Rams

Minnesota Vikings

Miami Dolphins

New England Patriots

New York Jets

Seattle Seahawks

Tennessee Titans

Active Reebok creations:
Arizona Cardinals

Buffalo Bills

Houston Texans

Note: I'm leaving off digit mods (PIT/IND), retro unis (NYG/SF/TB), re-positioned tv numbers (CHI/KC), or whatever WFT is doing.

6uXNWAo.png

17 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

And I also don't count Minnesota, since all they really did was revert an ugly set back to what was there before, but with some Nike flourishes because they just have to.

This…

spacer.png

is the same as this (with a few Nike flourishes?)

spacer.png

Yeah, my top redesigns in the Nike era so far would have to be the Chargers, Vikings, and Bengals. The Bucs and Browns did it right too, but those feel like a different category to me, filed under “finally mashed the undo button.”

The Seahawks have never really hit it for me. I didn’t like them much when they released, and am more tired of them than anything now. I’m not a believer that manufacturers strongarm teams into wearing whatever uniform they decree, but the Seahawks uniforms have  always come across as close to a “Team Nike” uniform as any in the league has; thier purpose seemed more like showcasing Nike’s capabilities at the time of the league takeover than anything else (with Seattle just running with it rather than being “forced” into it), and they’re starting to really look like a product of thier time to me at least. I’d still take any set they wore before it in a heartbeat.

Lastly, I’ve said this before, but the Jaguars were the wrong team to roll out the style and feel of their current uniforms. If that general concept had been Arizona’s instead and they had ran with it, then that would’ve likely been one of my tops. As it is now, Arizona still looks like 2005 in the worst way and the Jaguars still don’t look right.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

18 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Active Nike creations:

Atlanta Falcons

Cincinnati Bengals

Cleveland Browns

Denver Broncos

Detroit Lions

Jacksonville Jaguars

Los Angeles Chargers

Los Angeles Rams

Minnesota Vikings

Miami Dolphins

New England Patriots

New York Jets

Seattle Seahawks

Tennessee Titans

Active Reebok creations:
Arizona Cardinals

Buffalo Bills

Houston Texans

Note: I'm leaving off digit mods (PIT/IND), retro unis (NYG/SF/TB), re-positioned tv numbers (CHI/KC), or whatever WFT is doing.

If you don’t count retro unis like TB, Cleveland shouldn’t count either.

6 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

If you don’t count retro unis like TB, Cleveland should count either.

Cleveland's using modern digits, changed their shade of orange and added a brown facemask -- I was on the fence listing that one

27 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

And while we're at it, the most successful Reebok design change was the Bills.

Yea, but.

52728036-049d-47e0-83c5-94dad936ca31-drew.jpg?width=1200&disable=upscale&format=pjpg&auto=webp

6uXNWAo.png

8 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Yea, but.

52728036-049d-47e0-83c5-94dad936ca31-drew.jpg?width=1200&disable=upscale&format=pjpg&auto=webp

Funny you chose that image, since the Bills so seldom wore that set the way it was designed (white over blue/blue over white). They went mono for  most of that set's life and it looked like trash. If the redesign from the classic 80s/90s set to the CFL-esque 2002 uniform was a -10 (and it was), and the modification to the current was a +10 (which it was), I can accept Reebok is a net zero for NFL redesigns.

And given those Cardinals still exist, that's about right.

15 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

This…

[old Vikings uniform]

is the same as this (with a few Nike flourishes?)

[current Vikings uniform that looks pretty similar]

Yes. Yes it is. To the layperson, all Nike did was revert the Favre uniforms to the original; the stripe and number details would be lost on most people not paying attention.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Yes. Yes it is. To the layperson, all Nike did was revert the Favre uniforms to the original; the stripe and number details would be lost on most people not paying attention.

I’d argue that Nike’s changes would be enough for the average viewer to think twice.

“Hey, the Vikings are wearing throwbacks again—wait, they look kinda funny.” *shrugs*

1 hour ago, NFLfan10 said:

This division has been a disaster for years. Titans are just an all around embarrassment favoring navy and looking too similar to Houston, Jags set is too boring and their sock situation is bizarre, Texans is boring and outdated, Colts now refuse to wear blue socks with the white jersey.

Houston has a good-enough uniform that has barely been changed since the team was created. I'd prefer if they don't change it. Just need to stop going monochrome/matching pants & socks

Archived