Sports Mount Rushmores for each Market

neo_prankster

Just now, JerseyJimmy said:

no, really. Charlotte's Rushmore should probably be Flair, Earnhardt, Cam, and... honestly, I'd take Muggsy over Kemba.

I'll be completely honest and say that before I discussed with people who actually watched wrestling, I had never heard of Ric Flair and I am from Charlotte. I recognize him as a sports icon but certainly not on our Rushmore. You could go either way on Muggsy/Kemba but Flair has no business being there over someone like Steve Smith, Luke Keuchly, or Sam Mills.

the user formerly known as cdclt

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, QCS said:

I'll be completely honest and say that before I discussed with people who actually watched wrestling, I had never heard of Ric Flair and I am from Charlotte. I recognize him as a sports icon but certainly not on our Rushmore. You could go either way on Muggsy/Kemba but Flair has no business being there over someone like Steve Smith, Luke Keuchly, or Sam Mills.

I guess something like that would be tied to what generation you're talking about it with, given you'd probably get a very different response from someone who grew up watching prime Flair in '80s NWA and someone who grew up watching Flair be the dickhead helping Triple H in Evolution. guessing you agree on Earnhardt, thought? is Kannapolis considered in the same sphere as Charlotte?

53Ocz8U.png

8 minutes ago, JerseyJimmy said:

I guess something like that would be tied to what generation you're talking about it with, given you'd probably get a very different response from someone who grew up watching prime Flair in '80s NWA and someone who grew up watching Flair be the dickhead helping Triple H in Evolution. guessing you agree on Earnhardt, thought? is Kannapolis considered in the same sphere as Charlotte?

I'm giving it to you because Kannapolis is in the Charlotte metro. Ask this question about 10-15 years ago and I think Flair would be in it no question but nowadays other sports have more prominence and more stars.

the user formerly known as cdclt

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/24/2021 at 12:24 PM, neo_prankster said:

Imagine you are tasked with carving a Mt. Rushmore of sports figures who represented a specific market. Who would you pick?

For me...

San Diego: Randy Jones, Dan Fouts, Tony Gwynn, Junior Seau

No offense to Randy Jones, but I'd trade him for Trevor Hoffman. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/2/2021 at 2:05 AM, neo_prankster said:

An updated list:

Hamilton: Angelo Mosca, Bill Danychuk, Rocky DiPietro, Mike Kerrigan

Hamilton: Angelo Mosca, Paul Henderson, Vince Wirtz, Bill Sturrup.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2021 at 9:18 PM, JerseyJimmy said:

another thought: I know it's not exactly a "sport" in the competitive sense, but should pro wrestlers be considered for something like this? because, I mean, Ric Flair is more synonymous with Charlotte than pretty much any Panther or Hornet.

Flair is a Minnesota guy.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2021 at 7:05 PM, neo_prankster said:

More Canadian Cities

Ottawa: Cyclone Taylor, Russ Jackson, Tony Gabriel, Daniel Alfredsson

Toronto: Tim Horton, Joe Carter, Vince Carter, Pinball Clemons

Montreal: Rocket Richard, Anthony Calvillo, Andre Dawson, Jean Beliveau

Cyclone Taylor only played in Ottawa for 2 years. If you want to have the original Sens represented better choices would be Cy Denneny, Frank Nighbor (1st player to ever win the Hart), or maybe even Frank Finnigan since he played a part in the city getting the expansion franchise. Also Brian Kilrea deserves a spot over one of the Riders.

Toronto is tough because it feels like every generation of Leaf fans has their own icon. Boomers usually say Salming or Sittler, GenX would be Wendell or Gilmour, and millennials probably go with Sundin. Also, I'd say Lowry has surpassed Vince as the Raptors representative.

Gary Carter should be on Montreal's over Dawson. First guy to go the the HoF as an Expo. I don't think there needs to be any Als up there considering Guy Lafleur got left off. 

Archived