Sports Mount Rushmores for each Market

neo_prankster

31 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Only time I remember Dan Quisenberry was hearing a bunch of teachers cry when brain cancer* took him. Never even heard of Dennis Leonard or Amis Otis.

You really need to read up on your Royals history, my man. You're missing out on some great stuff.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

You really need to read up on your Royals history, my man. You're missing out on some great stuff.

You're not wrong about that at all. I just had the luck of growing up during the Dark Ages of the Royals organization so I never really cared about the Royals that much. 

For Wisconsin, it would all depend on which team you'd give two slots to. 

Assuming we gave the Packers the two slots, my picks would be Starr, Aaron, Favre and Giannis.

bYhYmxh.png

15 minutes ago, Burmy said:

Assuming we gave the Packers the two slots, my picks would be Starr, Aaron, Favre and Giannis.

This was what I had in mind:

Milwaukee: Hank Aaron, Robin Yount, Oscar Robertson, Greek Freak

Green Bay: Vince Lombardi, Bart Starr, Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers

On 4/24/2021 at 6:43 PM, neo_prankster said:

For Denver, I was thinking of:

John Elway

Alex English

Joe Sakic

Todd Helton

For Denver, I would have Floyd Little, John Elway, Alex English, and Joe Sakic. Floyd Little was the Broncos' first franchise player. He helped save the franchise and keep it in Denver.

On 4/24/2021 at 3:24 PM, neo_prankster said:

Pittsburgh: Mario Lemieux, Roberto Clemente, Lynn Swann, Sidney Crosby

I would replace Swann and Crosby with Mean Joe Greene and Pops Stargell.

On 4/24/2021 at 4:15 PM, flasah said:

I'm from SA, and I'd go with Tony Parker instead of Manu. It's very close, though.

I'd probably go with Manu over Tony, but either one would be a good choice. 

On 4/24/2021 at 7:09 PM, BBTV said:

Nobody under 60 or 70 knows Norm Van Brocklin.  I'd put Reggie White or Brian Dawkins in that slot.  I'd also consider Wilt Chamberlain over Dr. J.

I'm aware of who Norm Van Brocklin is and I'm not close to 60 yet. Sometimes you need to have an older player on there so people realize that Philadelphia had good teams before 1983. 

On 4/25/2021 at 8:48 AM, dont care said:

I’d put Ted Williams over Ortiz for Boston, he's the Red Sox best player ever.

He also didn't use PED's, and played longer when it was harder to do so. 

On 4/24/2021 at 2:24 PM, neo_prankster said:

Imagine you are tasked with carving a Mt. Rushmore of sports figures who represented a specific market. Who would you pick?

I didn't see a list for Cincinnati but that's somewhat obvious: Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, Joe Morgan and Sparky Anderson. If it's players only, maybe Boomer Esiason or Ken Anderson replaces Sparky. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Chicago's would probably be something like:

Michael Jordan, Dick Butkus, Patrick Kane, Harry Caray (he kind of unites both sides of town, I guess?)

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

8 minutes ago, CS85 said:

Michael Jordan, Dick Butkus, Patrick Kane, Harry Caray (he kind of unites both sides of town, I guess?)

Ernie Banks and Walter Payton are on the phone. They want to talk to you about your Chicago sports fan credentials. They're on line 2.

BB52Big.jpg

22 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Ernie Banks and Walter Payton are on the phone. They want to talk to you about your Chicago sports fan credentials. They're on line 2.

Considering Mt. Rushmore only has 4 slots, I'd feel lousy leaving out the White Sox (unless them being left out is kind of on-brand).

Payton would work for the Bears, sure, but I figured it'd be more apropos for the Bears rep to be one, on defense, two, a linebacker.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On 4/24/2021 at 1:24 PM, neo_prankster said:

Imagine you are tasked with carving a Mt. Rushmore of sports figures who represented a specific market. Who would you pick?

For me...

Anaheim: Rod Carew, Tim Salmon, Paul Kariya, Teemu Selanne

I don't know if active players would be considered, but Trout would probably replace Carew and Getzlaf honestly would replace Kariya, if you wanted to keep the 50/50 Ducks - Angels split.

On 4/24/2021 at 1:24 PM, neo_prankster said:

Calgary: Al McInnis, Mike Vernon, Craig Conroy, Jarome Iginla

Weird that you didn't consider any Stampeders here after putting CFLers in other cities, because Conroy definitely doesn't deserve to be on a Mount Rushmore.

Allen Pitts, Stu Laird, maybe even Jon Cornish.

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, CS85 said:

Should be Ditka, Ditka, Ditka, and... maybe Jordan, but no really Ditka.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 4/25/2021 at 11:49 AM, Red Comet said:

To be fair, I was 3 years old when George Brett retired. So, I didn't really know all of those other players except that Frank White did broadcasts a decade ago and is now in politics. Mike Sweeney? Guy was good but he was the best player on some godawful teams. Willie Wilson I remember more for being a cokehead. Saberhagen I remember more as a Red Sox pitcher so yeah. Only time I remember Dan Quisenberry was hearing a bunch of teachers cry when brain cancer* took him. Never even heard of Dennis Leonard or Amis Otis. As for why I picked Alex Gordon? Didn't want too many Chiefs on my mountain, honestly. You're right about the other players for the Chiefs you mentioned and Hank Stram being more worthy than Alex Gordon. Still, I'd say this moment is pretty Rushmore-worthy, all things considered:

*Am I the only one who notices that a disproportionate amount of those guys who played in that Multipurpose Donut Astroturf Field era wound up having brain cancer? Has to be the turf. 

Just looking at the Phillies who played on the terrible surface of The Vet (no disrespect, @BBTV), Darren Daulton, Tug McGraw, and John Vukovich passed away from cancer. John Kruk had cancer and survived. You make a good case.

On 4/24/2021 at 2:24 PM, neo_prankster said:

Tampa Bay: Vincent LeCavalier, Derrick Brooks, Steve Stamkos, Evan Longoria

Good memory! I know many would be quick to give Steven Stamkos the nod over ol' Vinny, and one could make a good argument, but let's remember #4 was drafted and became the Lightning's face, back when they were still TRASH--freaky-behind lightning-strike-sleeved Reporter-number-font-having alternate jerseys and all... and helped lead them to raise Lord Stanley for the first time.  His #4 is now retired by the team, so that settles that. 

Now, as for the rest of that list...I must correct one glaring omission: the list of Tampa greats absolutely must begin with Lee Roy Selmon, a.k.a. THE Original Buccaneer.  If you know, you know; failing that, this should settle it: the man has an expressway named after him running through the middle of Tampa, and cities don't name roadways after people who don't mean nothing to them. So there's that. 

As for the third spot, one could make a case for Derrick Brooks, and even Mike Alstott--but the winner here is Warren Sapp. No player meant more to that team during the Dungy Days than Sapp--even Tony Dungy himself said as much. Not that I personally needed Dungy's confirmation, but that only further settles it for me.

As for the fourth spot.. I have no qualms at all with Evan Longoria, the face that helped usher that used-to-be (and still is to some, from a business perspective) joke of a franchise into relevance. 

So yeah, Tampa's Rushmore: Lee Roy Selmon, Vincent Lecavalier, Warren Sapp, and Evan Longoria. (Honorable mentions go to Derrick Brooks, Mike Alstott, Steven Stamkos, and, for me anyway, Martin St. Louis.)

On 4/24/2021 at 5:34 PM, See Red said:

Kind of torn on whether Brady should get the nod for Tampa. I'd say the same for Peyton in Denver. I feel like the contribution should need to be longer than just a few seasons. I'd do, like, Evan Longoria or someone to rep the Rays. 

I'll answer that for you: NO.  Yes, Tampa will be forever grateful for the GOAT bringing them their second Lombardi--and even more so should he win them a third this upcoming season or the one after, but dude was a legend before Tampa. Same as your point with Peyton, which I agree with.

On 4/25/2021 at 10:41 AM, infrared41 said:

Alex Gordon? Interesting choice. Especially when you have HOFers Len Dawson, Willie Lanier, and Buck Buchanan to choose from.  If we're talking Royals, I'd argue that Willie Wilson, Frank White, Amos Otis, Dan Quisenberry, and Brett Saberhagen are better choices than Gordon. Maybe even Mike Sweeney and Dennis Leonard.  Hank Stram probably deserves consideration as well.

And probably more so than all of them is the man who founded not just the Chiefs (albeit as the Texans), but the entire AFL as it were (not to mention MLS--which all SKC fans should be happy about--and the NASL): Lamar Hunt.

On 4/25/2021 at 12:16 PM, Burmy said:

No love for Ray Allen? I mean, I know what people are gonna say (BuT hE Won HiS cHaMpEeYuNsHiPpZz In BoStOn & MiYaMi!!!4321), but he made his name in Milwaukee. But that's just this outsider's two rusted Lincolns on the matter.

I do find it funny that no one's yet tried this for Nashville or Jacksonville... 😄

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I didn't see a list for Cincinnati but that's somewhat obvious: Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, Joe Morgan and Sparky Anderson. If it's players only, maybe Boomer Esiason or Ken Anderson replaces Sparky. 

Cincinnati's is easy. It's Oscar Robertson, Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan, Anthony Munoz. Some people will say Pete Rose should be on there and to that I say, who's Pete Rose? I have no idea who you're talking about. 

Oscar Robertson - was on the NBA's 50 Greatest Players list when the league did it for the 50th anniversary of the NBA. Played for both UC and the Cincinnati Royals.

Johnny Bench - some say greatest catcher in baseball history.

Joe Morgan - some say greatest second baseman in baseball history.

Anthony Munoz - some say greatest offensive lineman in NFL history. Only Bengals player in the Hall of Fame.

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, Sport said:

Cincinnati's is easy. It's Oscar Robertson, Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan, Anthony Munoz. Some people will say Pete Rose should be on there and to that I say, who's Pete Rose? I have no idea who you're talking about. 

Oscar Robertson - was on the NBA's 50 Greatest Players list when the league did it for the 50th anniversary of the NBA. Played for both UC and the Cincinnati Royals.

Johnny Bench - some say greatest catcher in baseball history.

Joe Morgan - some say greatest second baseman in baseball history.

Anthony Munoz - some say greatest offensive lineman in NFL history. Only Bengals player in the Hall of Fame.

I overlooked the Royals, I'm betting most people do though. Munoz is a good shout out, especially for how long he played at a high standard. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived