Similar colors for city's teams

Rampart

Every so often I see a comment on this board rgarding Pittsburgh's black and gold for all of thier sports teams. Do you think more cities should try to follow this pattern? If so, what color schemes should the different cities have?

From a marketing standpoint, different teams owned by different owners would want to have a unique identity from their competitors. That's probably why we've seen the Pirates add red and the Penguins shift to a metallic gold. When you're competing to get butts in the seats, you want to market your experience as unique, and if the visual identities don't help with that, you're not starting off on the right foot.

Ottawa has always had red and black teams. The trend started with ye olde Ottawa Senators (circa 1800s); it continued with the Ottawa 67s and the modern-day Ottawa Senators; our AAA baseball team, the Ottawa Lynx was decked out in silver and black before making the red and black switch a few years ago; the Ottawa Renegades have always worn red and black, as did the Ottawa Rough Riders.

Just thought I'd let you all know. Don't ask me why, but red and black seem the colours of choice around my bit. Perhaps the wise Gordie could provide us with some more insight...

NHLPlayoffSigOTT.gif

Wiseass, maybe. :P

Yeah, red and black are kind of unofficial colours for Ottawa's teams. I can't say why though, because as far as I can tell they've never been civic colours.

Best guess - they're based on military uniforms, which, in the 1880's, still had black trousers and red jackets, like today's ceremonial uniforms. We know that hockey was popularized around Rideau Hall by the Governor General, Frederick Arthur Stanley, so maybe, in tribute to him, early Ottawa teams wore the colours of the armies of the British Empire.

Calgary Stampeders--Red & White (w/Black)

Calgary Flames--Red & Yellow (originally--now w/black)

Sasaktchewan has Greeen & White (w/black) for the CFL--if they got another major team--I'd expect it to be green & white or green & yellow.

Montreal-Habs, Als & Expos all with variation of Red, White & Blue--although they may emphasize different ones at different times.

The Als have silver in their scheme as well...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Do you think more cities should try to follow this pattern?

No - i agree with Geoff in that each team should have its own identity. and what Avenger said couldnt be more right. i would think, that if a city had its own personal colour scheme that all the teams use, that it would subdue the fans...make whatever game their watching a bit more overly ordinary. marketing a unique look of the team is going to potentially put fans in the seats that see the game, visually, a bit more exciting.

If so, what color schemes should the different cities have?

I think that in Detroit, aside from the Red Wings, that the Tigers, Lions & Pistons could all get away with navy blue as their main, dominant colour. navy, white, grey is all they would need. i personally wouldnt dig it though.

~k

pistons4-sm.giftigers.gifmadeindetroit-store_1798_66732.gifwings.gifisland1-sm.gif

dallas seems to be a navy-blue town, with the cowboys, mavs, and rangers... but thankfully not the dallas stars.

i think the green and gold is fairly unique, and not used nearly enough in the sports world.

In a way, Seattle has a link to green, with its nickname being the Emerald City. If the Sonics were to go navy, then it can match the MLB Mariners technically its green, althought its teal), NFL Seahawks, and the WHL Thunderhawks.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

The problem is that with all the relocations and all the redesigns, cities really don't have the possibility to have a color identity. I'll take California as an example.

SD- Navy/sand, Navy/yellow

Anaheim- Red, Plum/jade

LA- Red/Blue, Purple/Yellow, Blue, Purple/Silver/Black

Oakland- Green/Yellow, Silver/Black, Blue/Red/Yellow

SF- Black/Orange, Gold/Maroon

So, that's the problem. A city could have a standard color, but when teams move, it changes the city's identity.

VmWIn6B.png

In a way, Seattle has a link to green, with its nickname being the Emerald City.  If the Sonics were to go navy, then it can match the MLB Mariners technically its green, althought its teal), NFL Seahawks, and the WHL Thunderhawks.

Ouch. You combined the name of our hockey team with that of our bitter rival. It is actually the Seattle Thunderbirds. :+)

Since you brought them up, the Portland Winterhawks and the Jailblazers both use red white and black.

Puckguy, don't want to nitpick, but the WHL team is the Seattle Thunderbirds (unless they changed recently).

At one time all the major sports in Seattle shared only one color. I thought that was cool. The Sonics and Seahawks shared the green, 'Hawks and Mariners shared blue, and the M's and Sonics shared the gold.

CCSLC Signature.jpg

Archived