2021 NFL Season - Adults Arguing About Matt Stafford

In fairness to Seattle, Chicago has lost 7 of their last 8 and is definitely giving off the vibe of a team that is merely playing out the string with their dead coach walking.  Also they play on Monday this week anyway.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Allowing for your premise...

1. Shutting down won't change that. I think it's clear at this point that we aren't going to change the minds of the majority of people who won't get vaccinated. To borrow a phrase, you can't fix stupid.

2. As a virus mutates, it becomes more transmissible, but it also gets weaker. Most everything I've read says that omicron is much milder than OG Covid or delta. If that is true, then there is no reason to react to omicron the same way we reacted to OG Covid.

3. The virus still spread like crazy when we were isolated the first time. I don't believe the same approach will have better success against a more transmissible variant. That being said, if governments try shut down the country again, it's going to get uglier than it already is. You're looking at a nightmare scenario.

4. It's easy for you or me to tell those in more precarious financial situations to "stay home until I feel secure." Let's leave the debate over capitalism to a more appropriate setting.

5. How about infected people stay home until they aren't infected and the rest of us go about our business?

No more half-measures. Either shut everything back down again or floor the gas and try to jump the Grand Canyon. All this dithering and tinkering isn't getting us anywhere.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 minutes ago, the admiral said:

No more half-measures. Either shut everything back down again or floor the gas and try to jump the Grand Canyon.

I think it's going to be the latter in most places. Most of Ohio has it floored and is showing no signs of hitting the brakes.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

6 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Re: 4 -- that's why we should have used money we have to pay people to stay home (instead of making some doofus who sells :censored:ty cars the richest man in the world. Whoops)

Re: 5 -- the problem with that is that we need rules and enforcement because people can't be trusted to do the right thing. For example, we have red lights and traffic cameras because some people would otherwise keep on driving.

And the seasonality shows higher infections when people are around each other (holidays, winter) than when they're not (non-barbecue season in the late spring and summer).

The NBA held a COVID bubble in 2020 that was a huge success. They did rigorous testing, had severe isolation protocols, and required masking and social distancing when players weren't playing. The result was zero COVID instances in a six-month period. It's proof that COVID protocols work. It's also proof that they are absurdly hard to administer and that level of enforcement could never work larger than the bubble (and almost didn't there). However, that's not a reason to not bother trying.

RE: 4: If we pay everyone to stay home, who handles getting food to people? Where do those people buy said food? Or are we willing to sacrifice "essential workers" again? Do we suggest people stock up now for the upcoming lock down? I think we can agree on how that would go. Think of all the new spread because everyone is at the Walmart fist fighting each other over a bag of Totino's Pizza Rolls. I'm not sure the word disaster would cover it. With regard to the bubble. Sure, if we can manage to isolate every single person on Earth by sealing them alone in a bubble for at least six weeks (gotta give the positives time to become negative)  we stop the spread of the virus. At least we do until someone catches if from a deer or something and the whole thing starts over again.

RE:5: We tried rules and enforcement. People are gonna people. Obeying traffic lights is ingrained in us from childhood. (An added incentive to obey the light is that not obeying it can get you killed - painfully) We're used to them. Masks and lock downs are brand new. Add in the fact that back in July, we were told that as long as we got vaxxed, we no longer needed the masks. Now all of a sudden we need masks and lock downs again. (And we wonder why there is vaccine hesitancy?)  The kind of control and discipline you're looking for would take a generation to develop. And by then we wouldn't need it...I hope.

RE: Seasonality: Holidays aren't what caused Florida's cases to go through the roof in July and holidays aren't what caused Ohio's cases to plummet in July. Seasonality did that. Florida now has one of the lowest case rates in the country and Ohio's cases are on the way up again. That's happening because Ohio is now indoors and Florida has cooled off enough for people to get back outside. Households are one of the main vectors for transmission. We pile people together indoors for extended periods of time and yeah, the virus is going to have a much easier go of it. 

Up to this point, our mitigation efforts are akin to killing mosquitos with a 7 iron. Yeah, we're getting a few mosquitos here and there, but there a millions of others laughing as they fly past us. Honestly, I don't know what the answer is. I'm basing my position on what I believe hasn't worked.  Best I can tell you is virus is gonna virus. And there ain't much we can do about it.

BB52Big.jpg

32 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Well, what's really important is that the league is letting Stan Kroenke pay off St. Louis by having exclusive marketing  rights to the country that did this.

Gee, I wonder what country would that be? 🙃

BB52Big.jpg

Yeah, I don’t think getting rid of the circuses and having people Instacart bread is something that’s going to fly again. Especially not now. Unless you’re a fan of accelerationism. I’ve gotten the two shots and booster. If someone wants to be a dumbass and not take the jabs, that’s on them. 

3 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

I’ve gotten the two shots and booster. If someone wants to be a dumbass and not take the jabs, that’s on them. 

I was trying to be nicer about it but, that's where I am too. If I'm being honest, it's not my problem that Jethro down the street won't get a shot because he thinks Bill Gates will be able to track him or some bull-:censored:. .I'm not about to shut my life down because he's an idiot.  :censored: him, he knows the risks.

BB52Big.jpg

7 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I do wish the Urban Meyer story ended with a slightly more petty display. Something a bit more Titus Andronicus would’ve been amazing. 

GIF by Masterchef

I was hoping for more of a monkeys throwing feces at each other ending, but the Shakespeare thing works too.

BB52Big.jpg

Bills running back Rogue Province of the PRC Jones

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

I was trying to be nicer about it but, that's where I am too. If I'm being honest, it's not my problem that Jethro down the street won't get a shot because he thinks Bill Gates will be able to track him or some bull-:censored:. .I'm not about to shut my life down because he's an idiot.  :censored: him, he knows the risks.

We finally achieved Jethro-DeQuantrelle solidarity and it's for this

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

12 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Bills running back Rogue Province of the

We finally achieved Jethro-DeQuantrelle solidarity and it's for this

I have no idea what that means, but I'm happy we got there. 😎

BB52Big.jpg

4 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

That was only if the outbreak was caused by unvaccinated players. Every Browns player who tested postive is vaxed

Not the case with WFT, and those are the only losers I care about right now.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived