2021 NFL Season - Adults Arguing About Matt Stafford

10 hours ago, Dynasty said:

I don't understand why Meyer was sought after. Yeah, he has had a great career in college, but he's never been on the pro level and there were easily more qualified coaches out there that they could've went with. I knew this wasn't going to work out, everyone knew this wasn't going to work out.

Everyone except Luigi Mario, apparently...and he is really the only reason Meyer is (for now at least) an NFL head coach. 

As others have said--and anyone with more than a mustard seed of common sense no doubt figured when the rumors even first began circulating--Khan pursuing Meyer was little more, if any more, than an effort to tap into and stir up the local fanbase, and for those who may not know, northeast Florida is Gatorhead Central. (True, some could say that the Tebow experiment was in the same vein, but there's an added layer: Tebow's from Jacksonville, born and raised.) But yeah, speaking just for me, I knew well from the get-go that there was no way in which this would end well. Wellp...four more weeks to go in the season and this is where we are: assistants at odds with him, players at odds with him--to include his star #1 overall pick of a quarterback--3/4 of the fanbase at odds with him, bad press from every angle imaginable--and oh yes, the continuing comedy of errors the Jaguars have been since losing that lead on on the Brady Bunch back in the 2017 postseason. (Seriously--go and look at all the many star and up-and-coming players Jacksonville had on that squad...and where they all are now.)

Nice work, Luigi & Son.

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I do wonder how much would have changed for the Jags if the beat the Patriots in the AFC Championship that year, and even won the SuperBowl.

Does it all still get blown up? Probably. 

As far as Meyer, there's a reason the list of successful college to NFL coaches is isn't that long. 

• Like 1

Good win for the Rams, but it bodes ill for the future that teams know they can convert an onside kick any time they want to against this team.

• Like 2
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

8 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

I do wonder how much would have changed for the Jags if the beat the Patriots in the AFC Championship that year, and even won the SuperBowl.

The only thing that would have changed was that Nick Foles would have dropped 100 points on them rather than the 41 he put on NE en route to the Super Bowl LII Champion Philadelphia Eagles dominating the game.

The Jags franchise, saddled with this humiliation, would probably have had to fold because the players wouldn't want to play anymore, no new players would want to go there, and the fans would spend Sunday in church praying for their god to take mercy on anyone affiliated with the Jags organization, resulting in an empty stadium.

So, losing to the Patriots that year is the only reason Jacksonville still even has a team.  They should retire Tom Brady's number.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 12/13/2021 at 7:07 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

OK - I'm being 'that guy'. There's no leeway, or if there is, please point it out (are you confusing which penalty was called - that's all I can come up with):

ARTICLE 5. KICKING TEAM PLAYER VOLUNTARILY OUT OF BOUNDS. During a scrimmage kick that crosses the line of
scrimmage, and prior to the end of the kick, it is a foul if a kicking team player goes out of bounds voluntarily (without being
contacted by a receiving team player
) to avoid a block by a receiving team player.
Penalty: Loss of five yards.
If a member of the kicking team is forced out of bounds, or goes out of bounds voluntarily, and does not attempt to return inbounds
in a reasonable amount of time
, it is a foul for Unsportsmanlike Conduct. (12-3-1-v) 

NOTE - the penalty called was NOT for the citation in 12-3-1-v, which would have been a 15 yd penalty as opposed to 5 - (v) If a member of the kicking team is forced out of bounds, or goes out of bounds voluntarily, and does not attempt to return
inbounds in a reasonable amount of time.

Sorry for last night. I had typed up a long post that addressed this rule, and when I hit "post" I got a blank screen. Hitting refresh showed that my post just...wasn't there. I didn't have the time for a lengthy reply and so posted a quicker one. Then you decided to quote the rule I had tried to address and I went "aw come on..." and posted a less than cordial response. To which I apologize for. 

Anyway... 

To bolded point one- It looked to me like Kindle Vildor of the Bears (the penalized player) and Rasul Douglas of the Packers were jostling for position and both went out of bounds as a result. I'm not saying Douglas pushed Vildor out of bounds, but it's clear that Vildor didn't just voluntarily go out of bounds either. There is definitely some leeway for interpretation there. 

So now we get to bolded point two- Vildor and Douglas are jostling for position and force each other out of bounds. Ok. Now Vildor needs to get back in bounds "in a reasonable amount of time." 

Again, room for interpretation there. Once Vildor is out of bounds he attempts to get back in but is blocked by Packer Isaac Yiadom. What constitutes a "reasonable amount of time" is itself open to interpretation but I think an unbiased and objective view of things would see that Vildor was hampered in his ability to get back in bounds by Yiadom and, in fact, got back in bounds as quickly as one could reasonably expect given that he was jostling for position with two opposing players. 

The call may have been "correct," but only in the most Draconian sense. Both parts of the rule in question leave a fair bit up to the discretion of the officials, and I'm pretty confident that if the teams were reversed the Packers would have gotten a more liberal interpretation than what the Bears got. 

• Like 2

Just some random odd tidbits I noticed while [pretending to be] working yesterday...

• Since being in Tampa, Tom Brady is 0-for against the Saints. We'll see what happens with that this coming week.

Somehow, the Snatit are currently the #2 seed in the AFC. They next play the other notorious up-and-down team that they can never beat: Pittsburgh. I have no reason not to believe they'll go into Pittsburgh and straight lay over on their side--but I challenge them to prove me wrong. (Fun fact: the last Tennessee QB to beat the Steelers was Jake Locker, back in 2013.)

• Speaking of playoff seeds, currently sitting at  the #7 (?!) spot in the NFC is Washington--at 6-7. The next two or three teams behind them are also at 6-7. GB and Tampa aside (and Arizona and LA, depending on how you view them), overall, the NFC is straight 💩 right now.

• Don't look now, but the Miami Dolphins are currently riding a 5-game winning streak. Mathematically, they can still make the playoffs--but they have to win all their remaining games (the next one being against the Jets--which isn't exactly a gimme if you ask the Snatit and the Bengals) and hope for some help. Wouldn't it be something though if somehow they pull it off and actually do make it?  (Upon further inspection, the Fins last made the 'offs in 2016.)

• Something I've been curious about, but..how is it that somehow, Dak Prescott gets and has gotten the pass to continually be referred to by first name by all the media pundits (and fans in here)? Like, what is that really about?

• I don't know that I need to mention anything further (right now) about the mess going on in Jacksonville, but many are thinking--and I for one am hoping--that Meyer is axed after this season. (Now that won't solve the whole problem, because Trent Baalke is still GM, as I'm sure you Bay area fans can relate to the ills of.) That said, now Jim Caldwell's name is coming up down there. I wouldn't have an issue with that one bit...the man experienced success both in Indy and in, of all places, Detroit. And oh by the way, any coach who can say he can leave Detroit with an overall winning record (not to mention he was there when the Lions last made the postseason in 2016) DEFINITELY merits consideration. 

• Like 4

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The problem with Urban Meyer as HC of Jacksonville is how there wasn’t even a natural progression into the position. He just went straight from College HC to NFL HC leading damn near everyone and himself to believe he was invincible. Give him a couple years as a coordinator, then give him a shot at HC.

FWIW, if Meyer does get axed, I hope Jacksonville and Dallas OC Kellen Moore consider each other for a potential fit.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tBBP said:

• Since being in Tampa, Tom Brady is 0-for against the Saints. We'll see what happens with that this coming week.

In the regular season*

28 minutes ago, tBBP said:

• Something I've been curious about, but..how is it that somehow, Dak Prescott gets and has gotten the pass to continually be referred to by first name by all the media pundits (and fans in here)? Like, what is that really about?

Lamar, Baker, Cam, Mac, Russ, Jameis, Tua. Happens all the time

• Like 6

How many other Daks are there? It’s a little different than “Tom”. 

• Like 8

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So I has a few questions....

1, Why have we been given the short end of the stick since most of those teams are :censored:?

2, A lot of teams in Mexico and considering not one mexican team is on the rumored expansion list.

3, Give the UK Detroit, NFL. Dan Campbell would have fans here.... much better than the :censored:ing Jags.

• Like 2

‘I’m the head ball coach, I’ll kick you whenever the f--k I want.’

Jesus.  College football coaches really are the worst kind of scum.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, heavybass said:

So I has a few questions....

1, Why have we been given the short end of the stick since most of those teams are :censored:?

2, A lot of teams in Mexico and considering not one mexican team is on the rumored expansion list.

3, Give the UK Detroit, NFL. Dan Campbell would have fans here.... much better than the :censored:ing Jags.

Los Jefas de Ciudad de Kansas and Die Hauptlinge von Kansas Stadt. 

So, yeah, how the hell did the Rams get such a great bit of coverage internationally is what I want to know.

1 minute ago, Red Comet said:

So, yeah, how the hell did the Rams get such a great bit of coverage internationally is what I want to know.

They're the "proper" LA team (unlike the Chargers) and LA carries international cache. So does New York, but the New York teams are a total trash heap right now. The Rams are at least in contention every year.

I'm more surprised at Brazil with the Dolphins and Spain with the Bears.