2021 NFL Season - Adults Arguing About Matt Stafford

Matt Stafford is a good quarterback. Is he a hall of fame quarterback? Thats yet to be determined. Those years stuck in Detroit may really haunt him.

Cincinnati is hosting a rally for the fans tonight at Washington Park to celebrate their run this year. We may not have won the actual Super Bowl but for the fans and team, winning a playoff game was their Super Bowl, winning the divisional game was going back to back and winning the AFC Championship was the threepeat.

• Like 4

Signature intentionally left blank

23 hours ago, infrared41 said:

As a media person is the only way Romo gets in. Does the football HOF even do the broadcaster thing or is that just a baseball deal?

Tony Romo getting in would upgrade the derisive epithet to "Hall of Pretty Good."

And yeah, Joe Buck got into Canton as a broadcaster. There's your Hall of Pretty Good.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Just wait until we play “How to Save a Life” over him failing a comeback drive.

spacer.png

Is spoiling this episode OK, or are there people who are sensitive about spoilers for a nearly-16 year old dramedy episode?

If you won't, I'll do it for you.

SPOILER: everyone dies

spacer.png

We didn't know what we had in the Scrubs/Earl/Office/30 Rock lineup of 06-08. Well, I did, but I don't think enough other people did. A pretty good, a really good, and two all-timers, and even just the pretty good would be funnier than a lot of stuff going today. 

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think the whole debate when it comes to Stafford becoming a hall of famer is its not about who you consider to be a hall of famer, it is about who the NFL considers to be a hall of famer. It seems that being in the hall of fame used to be based upon impact on the game more than production and statistics. I'm a lifelong Jets fan but Joe Namath has thrown more Picks than TD's and is under 500. Same goes for a player like Gale Sayers who only rushed for over 1,000 yards twice. Quarterbacks is tricky because the entire game has changed but players like Bradshaw, Fouts, Moon, and Aikman have pretty poor TD to INT ratios. At the end of the day I don't think it's much of an argument. He will get in just like Rivers, Eli, and Ben. No matter what Super Bowls reign supreme and get you in at the end of the day. Especially because the Hall of Fame never had specific bars you had to reach to make the hall. It is a quite lenient club in comparison to baseball and the argument is pointless because at the end of the day we all know the answer.

37 minutes ago, ltjets21 said:

I think the whole debate when it comes to Stafford becoming a hall of famer is its not about who you consider to be a hall of famer, it is about who the NFL considers to be a hall of famer. It seems that being in the hall of fame used to be based upon impact on the game more than production and statistics. I'm a lifelong Jets fan but Joe Namath has thrown more Picks than TD's and is under 500. Same goes for a player like Gale Sayers who only rushed for over 1,000 yards twice. Quarterbacks is tricky because the entire game has changed but players like Bradshaw, Fouts, Moon, and Aikman have pretty poor TD to INT ratios. At the end of the day I don't think it's much of an argument. He will get in just like Rivers, Eli, and Ben. No matter what Super Bowls reign supreme and get you in at the end of the day. Especially because the Hall of Fame never had specific bars you had to reach to make the hall. It is a quite lenient club in comparison to baseball and the argument is pointless because at the end of the day we all know the answer.

People love to knock Namath and Bradshaw for the INTs, but they seem to forget that those guys played in an era when DBs could basically beat the :censored: out of receivers every step of the way for the entire route. The no contact after five yards and no contact period once the ball was in the air rules were implemented in 1978. Point being, finding a wide open receiver in the days before the '78 rule changes was a bit more difficult than it is today.

Having had the benefit of seeing both of them play, I can assure you that Namath was, in fact, good. It's not his fault that the Jets won Super Bowl III and then proceeded to be the Jets for the next 50+ seasons. Dude played most of his career on knees that were held together with rubber bands and athletic tape and he still managed to be the first QB to throw for 4000 yards in a season.

Bradshaw was one of the elite QBs of his era. Dude won four Super Bowls and people still want to drag him because his stats from the 70's don't look like stats from 2021. Bradshaw played exactly three healthy seasons after the rule changes of '78.  He was all but done by the '81 season. (Think Peyton Manning's final season level) Bradshaw was a no-brainer for the HOF.  Who was better than Bradshaw back then? You could argue Roger Staubach, but that's about it. Fran Tarkenton put up huge numbers and made three Super Bowls with the Vikings - losing them all. After those two, the pickings get pretty slim. Ken Stabler was pretty solid, but he's definitely a tier lower than the other three. After that, we're talking Jim Hart who probably has most of you thinking "who?"

The belabored point I'm trying to make is that it's unfair to hold players from the 70's, 80's, and 90's to the arcade game statistical standards of today.

• Like 2
  • Applause 6

BB52Big.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 1/30/2022 at 1:25 PM, BBTV said:

Today, we are all Ken Andersons.

1154908474.jpeg

(also, I must have been completely obsessed with him, because as soon as I typed "K" in the search bar, "Ken Anderson" was the top hit.)

Hey guys - Ken Anderson is a semi-finalist for the Senior Division of the Hall of Fame (or something like that).

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/07/07/pro-football-hall-of-fame-announces-semifinalists-for-coach-contributor-seniors/

Edited by Sec19Row53
link added
  • Love 1

It's where I sit.

On 7/7/2022 at 5:46 PM, Cujo said:

They allowed an extra 15 members in for promotional purposes(?)

On 7/7/2022 at 5:38 PM, ManillaToad said:

What happened in 2020

To commemorate the 100th year of the NFL they had an expanded Hall of Fame class, but somehow still left out Clay Matthews. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

To commemorate the 100th year of the NFL they had an expanded Hall of Fame class, but somehow still left out Ken Anderson

Fixed.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

6uXNWAo.png