2021 NFL Season - Adults Arguing About Matt Stafford

22 minutes ago, IceCap said:
42 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

How many Matthew Stafford posts will it take to make this happen? Asking for...who am I kidding? I'm asking for me because I think it would be funny. 😎

Well damn. That's all I needed. Done.

44446975.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

47 minutes ago, dont care said:

I don’t know how you can say he was “clearly the best player on the field” when I didn’t even notice him until the last 2 plays. Kupp made plays all game, and was the only option that last drive. He willed them to win.

You didn't notice him because the Bengals o-line was double/triple teaming him on most plays. When a guy is good enough to draw that much attention it opens things up for other players, which is why the Rams were able to tie the record for sacks in a Super Bowl.

I honestly was surprised when I found out there was such a debate regarding Matt Stafford, cause I thought we all kind of agreed what he was: a good-to-very-good QB with obvious flaws in his game that were amplified due to the fact that he had the extreme misfortune of playing for the Detroit Lions.

In terms of his HOF candidacy, I really couldn’t give a rat’s behind about it, because Hall of Fame cases in both football and baseball are pointless. Cooperstown voters vote in who they want based on whether they like a guy or not, while Canton swings the complete opposite direction on the pendulum by making the proverbial “Hall of Very Good” an actual thing. 

• Like 2

spacer.png

3 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

Namath is in because of The Guarantee (the legacy of which is undersold more and more as the years go on), he won AFL MVP twice, SB MVP, ROTY, an NFL All Pro, 4 AFL All Pros, made the AFL All-Time Team, and threw for 4000 yards 12 years before anyone else.

Somehow his reputation over the years turned into "Dude sucked but said the Jets were gonna win the Super Bowl and he wore fur coats", I don't know why

Let's give Joe his due. He completed 50.1% of his career passes for 173 TDs and 220 Ints.

I get that I'm the same guy who said stats matter according to their timeframe, but those are ... something.

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Is it though?  Are the Rams scrutinized in the media the way the NFL teams are in cities where they're the #1 thing in town?  Maybe they are - I don't follow LA sports - but I highly doubt that there's as much media pressure on the Rams as there would be for the Giants, Eagles, Steelers, etc.  Are the Rams even a top 5 sports team in LA?  I'm assuming it's Lakers, Dodgers, maybe soccer, Clippers, then Rams?  Again, I don't know.

But I don't think it's a hot take at all to say there's less pressure to play in LA.  Hell - half of "OUR HOUSE" isn't even their fans.

Sure, the Rams don’t have a large (or even medium) fanbase in LA (given that they’ve been gone for 20 years and a new generation that only knows post-Tom Brady either don’t know of or forgot the Greatest Show on Turf). But media scrutiny is still a real thing in LA, big fanbase or not. Look at the Lakers and Dodgers. The only difference is LA fans care more about the team. The media is just as prevalent.

16 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Let's give Joe his due. He completed 50.1% of his career passes for 173 TDs and 220 Ints.

I get that I'm the same guy who said stats matter according to their timeframe, but those are ... something.

Hold up-- can we see the TD/INT line for every other QB in the Hall? I knew Broadway Joe threw a bunch of INTs over his career, but that many more than TDs? That is nuts.

Also, Still L.O.L. @ the whole "Matt Stafford is a HOFer" line. The only reason this even came up is because the Rams won the SB. They lose, and no one's bringing that point up. You want proof? Go back and look through the last couple weeks' worth of posts and see what folk been saying about his (and for that matter the Rams') play. But since SUPERB OWL and all that, now you wanna even try to tell me dude belongs on the hall? Miss me with that one. (And I say this as a guy who genuinely likes the guy and loved him as a competitor in Detroit.) 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

16 hours ago, burgundy said:

As someone who has been forced to watch the Lions on local TV, Stafford was the type of QB you spend on. Unfortunately, his best years were wasted while getting beat up in Detroit. But even at his current level of play I'd take him over Tannehill or Carr.

As someone who sees the Lions semi-frequently as opponents, I'm still not over that chicken🤬 fight he started in Chicago early in his career (how he wasn't ejected, I'll never know)...but he was that QB a lot of teams would kill for.  A shame the Lions were the Lions, but eh. 

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I’ll never understand the argument behind Stafford not being a HoFer. He did all he could for a horrendous organization for a dozen seasons. They never attempted to build a good team around him. All he had was Calvin Johnson. To Detroit, Stafford was a scrub and was happy to ship him out of town for some Doritos and a pack of cigs.

It took Stafford 13 seasons to get a ring. All it took was a team who actually cared enough to see Stafford’s potential. What a shame it wasn’t Detroit, but then again, that franchise deserves to live it up in the cellar of NFL irrelevance for eternity.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Hold up-- can we see the TD/INT line for every other QB in the Hall? I knew Broadway Joe threw a bunch of INTs over his career, but that many more than TDs? That is nuts.

Also, Still L.O.L. @ the whole "Matt Stafford is a HOFer" line. The only reason this even came up is because the Rams won the SB. They lose, and no one's bringing that point up. You want proof? Go back and look through the last couple weeks' worth of posts and see what folk been saying about his (and for that matter the Rams') play. But since SUPERB OWL and all that, now you wanna even try to tell me dude belongs on the hall? Miss me with that one. (And I say this as a guy who genuinely likes the guy and loved him as a competitor in Detroit.) 

Sure!  I'll limit to players playing after 1940

Aikman - 61.5%, 165/141

Baugh - 56.5%, 187/203

Blanda - 47.7%, 236/277

Bradshaw - 51.9%, 212/210

Dawson - 57.1%, 239/183

Elway - 56.9%, 300/226

Favre - 62%, 508/336

Fouts - 58.8%, 254/242

Graham - 55.8%, 174/135

Griese - 56.2%, 192/172

Jurgensen - 57.1%, 255/189

Kelly - 60.1%, 237/175

Layne - 49%, 196/243

Luckman - 51.8%, 137/132

Manning - 65.3%, 539/251

Marino - 59.4%, 420/252

Montana - 63.2%, 273/139

Moon - 58.4%, 291/233

Stabler - 59.8%, 194/222

Starr - 57.4%, 152/138

Staubach - 57%, 153/109

Tarkenton - 57%, 342/266

Tittle - 55.2%, 242/248

Unitas - 54.6%, 290/253

Van Brocklin - 53.6%, 173/178

Warner - 65.5%, 208/128

Waterfield - 50.3%, 97/128

Young - 64.3%, 232/107

---

Stafford - 63%, 323/161

• Like 6

VmWIn6B.png

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

I’ll never understand the argument behind Stafford not being a HoFer. He did all he could for a horrendous organization for a dozen seasons. They never attempted to build a good team around him. All he had was Calvin Johnson. To Detroit, Stafford was a scrub and was happy to ship him out of town for some Doritos and a pack of cigs.

It took Stafford 13 seasons to get a ring. All it took was a team who actually cared enough to see Stafford’s potential. What a shame it wasn’t Detroit, but then again, that franchise deserves to live it up in the cellar of NFL irrelevance for eternity.

You don't deserve the Hall of Fame because you were a really good player stuck on a :censored:ty team. 

What's his resume? A single Pro Bowl and now a Super Bowl ring. Yet somehow he's more deserving than a guy like Kurt Warner?  A guy that was a 2x MVP, 4x Pro Bowl, 2x Passing TD Leader, 3x Completion percentage leader, 2x Passer Rating leader

What does Stafford have in comparison to that?

For a time, Warner was considered the best QB in the NFL, when has Stafford ever been considered one of the best? 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

I’ll never understand the argument behind Stafford not being a HoFer. He did all he could for a horrendous organization for a dozen seasons. They never attempted to build a good team around him.

Doesn't matter.   It's the hall of FAME.  It's very subjective, and there's tons of intangibles involved.

If you feel that football-card stats or fantasy points are good enough for entry?  That's cool.  I just disagree - strongly.

Up until this season, Matt Stafford had absolutely no impact on the NFL or the history of the game.  There was literally no difference in the world whether he ever played or not. 

Joe Namath, regardless of stat line, is 100% absolutely a HOFer in my book.  He transcended the game and became a pop-culture icon.  Up until last night, if Matt Stafford knocked on my door, while dressed in his full uniform and holding a football, and asked me if I wanted to have a catch, I'd have had no idea who he was.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Yawn 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, dont care said:

I don’t know how you can say he was “clearly the best player on the field” when I didn’t even notice him until the last 2 plays. Kupp made plays all game, and was the only option that last drive. He willed them to win.

Just because you didn’t notice doesn’t mean others didn’t. 

He was dominant throughout, more so in the second half after the Rams made some halftime adjustments to free him up. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Serious question--and I don't know where this Matt Stafford HoFer campaign started (I don't doubt t it came from some L.A. fan somewhere, unless it started in here in which case...whatever)--and since this is the internet, who knows if the answers that come next are legitimately true, especially from the L.A. fans, BUT: would we even be having this argument if Stafford was still spinning it in Detroit??

Spoiler

NFPD0xx.gif

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

6 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

I'm hesitant to jump into the argument, but as someone who has lived in Detroit and watched the Lions for Staffords' entire career, this is 100% not true. Lions fans (of which I am thankfully not one) can send you the complete list of all the late game pick sixes, and short arm underthrows, if you want to see it. Not to mention, just two weeks ago, he tried really hard to give you this...

spacer.png

Jaquiski Tartt makes this easy catch, and every Lion fan would be saying, "seen that before".

Stafford's good, not great. He'll probably get in the HOF because of the story, the hype, and his wife, but he's not great by any standard. 

And, honestly... the biggest thing he never did in Detroit is try, in any way possible, to improve his team. Never complained, never called out ownership, nothing. Just calmly collected his giant paycheck and quietly snoozed thru one losing season after another. You'll never know what Brady, Manning, Brees, or Rodgers would've done with 12 years on a losing team because none of them would've stood for it.   

• Like 7
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Stafford's good, not great. He'll probably get in the HOF because of the story, the hype, and his wife, but he's not great by any standard. 

He’s had his entire career overshadowed by Brady, Manning, Rodgers, etc. While on a lame duck organization that is Detroit, he’s consistently been in the Top 10 QBs nearly every year

Detroit

2009- 25th (rookie)

2010- 45th (injury)

2011- 3rd

2012- 2nd

2013- 3rd

2014- 9th

2015- 8th

2016- 6th

2017- 3rd

2018- 16th

2019- 29th (injury)

2020- 12th

Rams

2021- 3rd

9/13 seasons in the Top 10

5/13 seasons in the Top 3

The Super Bowl win certainly accelerated his chances, but he’s definitely worthy of the call without.

• Like 3