2021 NFL Season - Adults Arguing About Matt Stafford

It does suck that a team with no fans wins the Super Bowl, and it sucks that the refs didn't decide to throw flags until the end, but you could argue that those bogus penalties against Cincinnati kinda cancelled out the missed facemask earlier on, but I don't believe in 'make-ups' so the refs sucked.  They weren't the reason the Rams won, but they really impacted the game at the most critical time.

• Like 9
  • Dislike 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 minutes ago, BBTV said:

It does suck that a team with no fans wins the Super Bowl, and it sucks that the refs didn't decide to throw flags until the end, but you could argue that those bogus penalties against Cincinnati kinda cancelled out the missed facemask earlier on, but I don't believe in 'make-ups' so the refs sucked.  They weren't the reason the Rams won, but they really impacted the game at the most critical time.

We should add a “!!” reaction for posts like this where we just agree wholeheartedly with everything that was said. 

spacer.png

Well thank God the long suffering sports fans in LA get a title to end their championship drought. 

I disagree with most folks here. It was a solid matchup which unfortunately got influenced on some suspect calls at the end. Sadly that’s the way the games go though. Bengals needed some more points when they jumped out, but Donald willed his crew to a win.

But seeing the Rams celebrate has rekindled my hatred of them from ‘99. Yes, it was a catch then and still is now. 

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

I’m happy cause I was rooting for the Rams all night, but honestly I feel kinda dirty about it now after the fact. The Bengals were clearly the better team tonight, but the Rams pulled a length-of-the-field drive out of their butts when they needed it most (aka Cooper Kupp putting the team on his back and dragging them across the goal line) and the Bengals O-Line couldn’t hold long enough when it mattered most. I do feel bad for Shiesty and the Bengals cause for the most part they’re a young, likable team. If they weren’t a division rival I would’ve been decked out in black and orange tonight. 

At the same time though, if you decide to line up  the literal human embodiment of burnt toast Eli Apple 1-on-1 against Cooper Kupp on the goal line with the game on the line, you kind of deserve what’s coming to you. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

The Bengals, except when they're wearing white on white, are my AFC team for the foreseeable future.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

At least the St. Louis Rams weren't dragged kicking and screaming to their ring by Tagliabue. They also had more than ten fans to appreciate it. 🤷‍♂️

I swear every time a team or player wins you don't like it's some kind of conspiracy on the league or refs' part.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Dislike 1

40 minutes ago, DoctorWhom said:

Yeah, Bengals were definitely the better team, and that defense played way above their heads. But the lack of an O-line really bit them in the ass when they needed it.   

I still don't get they hype around Stafford though. He certainly didn't look like a QB that you spend all that capital on. Of course losing Beckham was a huge part of that. But even still personally, I never thought he was a guy that was going to win you a Super Bowl. He was always in the Ryan Tannehill & Derek Carr category for me.  Like with Denver, LA won more because of their defense. 

As someone who has been forced to watch the Lions on local TV, Stafford was the type of QB you spend on. Unfortunately, his best years were wasted while getting beat up in Detroit. But even at his current level of play I'd take him over Tannehill or Carr.

The sudden flurry of penalties on that late drive was awfully stupid after barely calling anything all game.  Both teams got away with much worse, yet they choose then to start throwing flags? But the Bengals had an opportunity to at least tie, and their line shat the bed. Sorry to all the long time Bengals fans; what a crap way to end the game.

Congrats to all the Rams fans. And congrats on them winning in their best look.

• Like 2

spacer.png

11 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Lakers retweeted the last one

I love how the Lakers I.E. the only sports team most LA fans care about, couldn't even bother to send out there own tweet congrulating the Rams .Even when Lebron was at the game.

Speaking of, I wonder which team he was cheering for. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

At least the St. Louis Rams weren't dragged kicking and screaming to their ring by Tagliabue. They also had more than ten fans to appreciate it. 🤷‍♂️

Not for  much longer though.

Seriously, you want to know who was probably the most upset about the Rams' move? The fans of every other NFL team in middle America because they had just lost their cheap road trip to see their teams play in person.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I'm excited, and happy for Stafford, and Donald, and OBJ, and Kupp, and Whitworth, and the rest of the team.  I'll have tonight to think about when the entire kludge falls apart in a few years.  (But no, seriously, this is probably going to be my all-time favorite team just from their playoff run alone: Ended the Pete Carroll/Russell Wilson era in Seattle, at minimum showed the cracks in Arizona, even if they didn't break that team for good, ENDED TOM BRADY, won the one that counted against San Fran, and oh yes, WON THE FREAKING SUPER BOWL.)

• Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Yawn 1
  • Hate 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

59 minutes ago, burgundy said:

As someone who has been forced to watch the Lions on local TV, Stafford was the type of QB you spend on. Unfortunately, his best years were wasted while getting beat up in Detroit. But even at his current level of play I'd take him over Tannehill or Carr.

There is no way in hell Jared Goff manages that comeback, that alone makes the trade worth it.  (Actually given how well the Cincy front was playing/how poorly the Rams front was playing it's even money he'd be curled up in the fetal position rocking himself and muttering about various terrors by the 4th quarter.)

• Like 8
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)