2021 NFL Season - Adults Arguing About Matt Stafford

3 minutes ago, BBTV said:

So WFT is going to be starting a QB that they are just signing off someone else’s practice squad today since their top 2 QBs have Covid. 

they have 20 people in the protocol, and apparently the outbreak was caused by an unvaccinated moron (Sweat). I thought the NFL made a point to say that if a team couldn’t play due to an outbreak caused by an unvaccinated dope, they’d have to forfeit. At what point is it unsafe just from a numbers / skill standpoint to make a team play? If they’re forced to start guys that shouldn’t even be in the NFL, it’s just not safe for them to be up against legit players. 

I don't ever expect the NFL to make any informed decisions when it comes to player safety. This type of stuff is just par for the course for The Shield.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Bobby Petrino has to be in the conversation. At least Meyer was fired. Petrino bailed on the Falcons by leaving the team a note - which I'm pretty sure is the same way he bailed on the Arkansas volleyball player that was riding with him when he wrecked a perfectly good Harley. Some things are unforgivable. That bike deserved much better. 🙃

Petrino left because Arkansas wanted to pay him more money and he took the Falcons job with the idea that Michael Vick would be his QB and then Michael Vick had uhh....legal issues. A Falcons fan can correct me here, but I don't remember anything during Petrino's 13 games that was as outrageous as Meyer tripping over his own butt on a weekly basis. We didn't get to see what Urban would've done if Notre Dame or USC had come calling, but I feel like he's such a dickhead he's not even leaving a note to the players. 

Who else would even be in the discussion? I remembered Mike Ditka with the Saints being pretty bad, but then I looked it up and he managed to stick there for 3 whole seasons, which is one season longer than I would've guessed. 

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

10 minutes ago, Sport said:

Petrino left because Arkansas wanted to pay him more money and he took the Falcons job with the idea that Michael Vick would be his QB and then Michael Vick had uhh....legal issues. A Falcons fan can correct me here, but I don't remember anything during Petrino's 13 games that was as outrageous as Meyer tripping over his own butt on a weekly basis. We didn't get to see what Urban would've done if Notre Dame or USC had come calling, but I feel like he's such a dickhead he's not even leaving a note to the players. 

Who else would even be in the discussion? I remembered Mike Ditka with the Saints being pretty bad, but then I looked it up and he managed to stick there for 3 whole seasons, which is one season longer than I would've guessed. 

My post was just me going a long way to attempt a joke about Petrino ruining a perfectly good Harley. Meyer is the clear winner and it ain't even close.

BB52Big.jpg

Cleveland is currently down 21 players and is still expected to play tomorrow afternoon. How the NFL hasn't even just pushed it back 24-48 hours is beyond me. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32889509/cleveland-browns-sign-qb-kyle-lauletta-lb-mack-wilson-tests-positive-source-says

They say they are still thinking on it, but what else is there to think about? 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

According to NFL network, they might be rescheduling the games but “a majority of the players want to do away with all covid protocols altogether, including all testing and masking”. The NFLPA actually wants MORE testing, so players are at odds with their own leadership. 

never trust people who get hit in the head for a living to process important information. 

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Great, the Eagles will have to play the Giants on a short week because Washington couldn't get their crap together.

I agree it's good to postpone the game rather than risk more positives and risk infecting the Eagles, but the league drew a line in the sand that said "if you have an outbreak, you forfeit and pay the other team for lost revenue", but instead, they're penalizing the teams that are actually sticking to the protocols (the Eagles voluntarily increased their masking and virtualization earlier in the season).

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Raiders vs Browns getting moved to Monday, Rams vs Seahawks and Washington vs Philadelphia moved to Tuesday.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/browns-raiders-game-reportedly-moved-to-monday-due-to-covid-19-outbreak-on-browns-193151145.html

I'm off all next week -- not actually too upset about this.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Because it worked so well the first time? The only thing a shutdown does is delay the inevitable.

Spikes in omicron are due to the following factors:

1. Vaccine hesitancy

2. Higher transmission rates of omicron, due in part to mutations that exist because of #1

3. People being in proximity to each other to transmit the virus

4. People have to be in proximity to each other to transmit the virus because capitalism demands it

5. Infected people not wearing masks

Data shows transmission rates ebbing and flowing with areas the follow protocols. Not every region in this country either directs, enforces, or follows those protocols.

To relate this to sports, the NFL and NFLPA don't have the ability to solve the world's COVID-19 (it'll be 2022 very soon, btw. That 19 gets more depressing the more you look at it) issues. But they do magnify our collective failures in containing and treating it. Especially now that we have treatment options available.

• Like 2

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

13 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Because it worked so well the first time? The only thing a shutdown does is delay the inevitable.

It also would throttle the rate at which people are being admitted to hospitals, allowing for everyone that needs a bed to get one and hopefully for nurses and doctors not to be working 24/7.  I was reading that some areas are back to requring national guard assistance to run medical facilities, and I can say from personal first hand experience that even though philly is doing pretty good due to its vax and mask requirements, I can't get a procedure done that I need on my knee without traveling several hours away because they need to ensure they have capacity available for the expected influx of unvaccinated covid patients.  Even people with serious issues requiring hospitalization that aren't covid related are being moved to facilities outside of their normal area.

Does a shut down cure the pandemic and eradicate the virus?  Of course not.  Does it give the medical professionals and facilities some relief?  Possibly.  I'll take possibly.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

22 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Raiders vs Browns getting moved to Monday, Rams vs Seahawks and Washington vs Philadelphia moved to Tuesday.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/browns-raiders-game-reportedly-moved-to-monday-due-to-covid-19-outbreak-on-browns-193151145.html

Just saw that Rams/Seahawks will be at 4PM local time for both teams. That's stupid.

8 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Spikes in omicron are due to the following factors:

1. Vaccine hesitancy

2. Higher transmission rates of omicron, due in part to mutations that exist because of #1

3. People being in proximity to each other to transmit the virus

4. People have to be in proximity to each other to transmit the virus because capitalism demands it

5. Infected people not wearing masks

Data shows transmission rates ebbing and flowing with areas the follow protocols. Not every region in this country either directs, enforces, or follows those protocols.

Allowing for your premise...

1. Shutting down won't change that. I think it's clear at this point that we aren't going to change the minds of the majority of people who won't get vaccinated. To borrow a phrase, you can't fix stupid.

2. As a virus mutates, it becomes more transmissible, but it also gets weaker. Most everything I've read says that omicron is much milder than OG Covid or delta. If that is true, then there is no reason to react to omicron the same way we reacted to OG Covid.

3. The virus still spread like crazy when we were isolated the first time. I don't believe the same approach will have better success against a more transmissible variant. That being said, if governments try shut down the country again, it's going to get uglier than it already is. You're looking at a nightmare scenario.

4. It's easy for you or me to tell those in more precarious financial situations to "stay home until I feel secure." Let's leave the debate over capitalism to a more appropriate setting.

5. How about infected people stay home until they aren't infected and the rest of us go about our business?

I'm not saying you're wrong about ebbing and flowing in relation to protocols, but I will say that it sounds awfully similar to seasonality. That said, if you can provide me the links, I'd love to see for myself.

BB52Big.jpg

31 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

4. It's easy for you or me to tell those in more precarious financial situations to "stay home until I feel secure." Let's leave the debate over capitalism to a more appropriate setting.

5. How about infected people stay home until they aren't infected and the rest of us go about our business?

I'm not saying you're wrong about ebbing and flowing in relation to protocols, but I will say that it sounds awfully similar to seasonality. That said, if you can provide me the links, I'd love to see for myself.

Re: 4 -- that's why we should have used money we have to pay people to stay home (instead of making some doofus who sells :censored:ty cars the richest man in the world. Whoops)

Re: 5 -- the problem with that is that we need rules and enforcement because people can't be trusted to do the right thing. For example, we have red lights and traffic cameras because some people would otherwise keep on driving.

And the seasonality shows higher infections when people are around each other (holidays, winter) than when they're not (non-barbecue season in the late spring and summer).

The NBA held a COVID bubble in 2020 that was a huge success. They did rigorous testing, had severe isolation protocols, and required masking and social distancing when players weren't playing. The result was zero COVID instances in a six-month period. It's proof that COVID protocols work. It's also proof that they are absurdly hard to administer and that level of enforcement could never work larger than the bubble (and almost didn't there). However, that's not a reason to not bother trying.

• Like 1

As a Seahawk fan, I'm pissed. This game is extremely important if Seattle has any hope of making the playoffs and now, they're stuck with an extremely short week with a Tuesday game against the Lambs and then a home game with Chicago next week.

I understand player safety and all, but this feels like it runs counter to that.