Buick Unveils New Logo as Company Enters into Electric Scene

DCarp1231

• 2 weeks later...

In the US its a brand that only has a positive image with people older than 60. Anyone younger than that sees it as a brand for older people. The only reason it wasn't scrapped along with Pontiac and Saturn was because it is popular as a semi-luxury brand in China. Anything that might help its image is worth trying if they aren't going to eliminate it

4 hours ago, cajunaggie08 said:

In the US its a brand that only has a positive image with people older than 60. Anyone younger than that sees it as a brand for older people. The only reason it wasn't scrapped along with Pontiac and Saturn was because it is popular as a semi-luxury brand in China. Anything that might help its image is worth trying if they aren't going to eliminate it

Should have kept pontiac. They have so many more memorable models like the trans am, fire bird, GTO ect. Buick has what? The grand national and that’s it.

• Like 3

On 6/10/2022 at 5:09 PM, DTConcepts said:

Lateral move. I just don't understand what prompted the change. What about a shift towards electric cars prompts a very minor rebrand?

You took the words right out of my mouth.  The only change that might have been worth the (minimal) effort would be to eliminate the chrome effect in locations other than grills on cars.

11 hours ago, dont care said:

Should have kept pontiac. They have so many more memorable models like the trans am, fire bird, GTO ect. Buick has what? The grand national and that’s it.

I think Buick was worth keeping, but I also think they should have kept Pontiac.  It had a much hipper image than Buick, even up until its demise.

It tells you all you need to know about the Buick image that they had to build an entire ad campaign around the idea that people were surprised to find out that a relatively cool car was a Buick.  It was the modern day equivalent of the "not your father's Oldsmobile" campaign.

• Like 2

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

12 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

You took the words right out of my mouth.  The only change that might have been worth the (minimal) effort would be to eliminate the chrome effect in locations other than grills on cars.

I think Buick was worth keeping, but I also think they should have kept Pontiac.  It had a much hipper image than Buick, even up until its demise.

It tells you all you need to know about the Buick image that they had to build an entire ad campaign around the idea that people were surprised to find out that a relatively cool car was a Buick.  It was the modern day equivalent of the "not your father's Oldsmobile" campaign.

Yet it’s not a relatively cool car when still no one is buying them. Even older generations aren’t going out of their way to get them. They are buying and going to continue to buy what they knew from their younger years. They might not buy the sports cars anymore outside of a midlife crisis, but if they grew up on brand loyalty to Chevy, ford, Toyota ect that what they will stick to. Only exception would be going to a luxury brand in the same family which Buick just does not fit.

9 minutes ago, dont care said:

Yet it’s not a relatively cool car when still no one is buying them. Even older generations aren’t going out of their way to get them. They are buying and going to continue to buy what they knew from their younger years. They might not buy the sports cars anymore outside of a midlife crisis, but if they grew up on brand loyalty to Chevy, ford, Toyota ect that what they will stick to. Only exception would be going to a luxury brand in the same family which Buick just does not fit.

I'm 54.  Despite the best of efforts of Tiger Woods, Buicks will always remind me of my grandfather's LeSabre and the car driven by the seemingly old father of one of my best friends back in the mid-70s (who, in hindsight, was probably 8-10 years younger then than I am now).

. . . and my 85 year old mother drives a 2002 Century.

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

14 hours ago, dont care said:

China is the sole reason Buick still exists. I don't know why they even kept it as an American brand when 80% of all Buick branded cars sold are Chinese market sales. I have a co-worker who is a Chinese immigrant and he was asking me the other day why he doesn't see any Buicks on the roads here since its an American brand.

18 hours ago, cajunaggie08 said:

The biggest reason GM kept Buick was due to the brand being tied at the hip with GMC Trucks, plus Buick fit nicely between Chevy and Cadillac, while Pontiac and Saturn were on par with Chevy.

On 6/2/2022 at 7:31 PM, DCarp1231 said:

spacer.png

Looks like the car has fangs or mouse teeth.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Got to love GM and their constant meddling around with stuff...and yeah, this "rebrand" didn't need to happen. At least Kia and Nissan actually tried...this is just rearranging existing elements into an even less visually appealing layout.

Which I guess can be said for much of GM's design direction and overall quality since about 1999 or so...

*says the owner of a 2007 Chevy Avalanche.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 6/23/2022 at 11:24 AM, Luigi74 said:

The biggest reason GM kept Buick was due to the brand being tied at the hip with GMC Trucks, plus Buick fit nicely between Chevy and Cadillac, while Pontiac and Saturn were on par with Chevy.

In my area all the GMC stuff was tied with Pontiac. So I thought Pontiac/GMC was the equivalent to Chevy. The Buick and Olds were the semi-luxury brands and then it all funneled to Caddy. 

On 6/22/2022 at 9:00 PM, dont care said:

I love the '05/'06 GTO aesthetic. I always wanted one.