Underreported Uniform Details

For football uniforms, the various manufacturers of uniforms (Sand Knit/Ripon, Russell, Wilson, Champion) have had different-looking stock block numerals.

For instance, the TV numbers on Russell's block numbers are narrow, but the Sand Knit/Ripon ones are wider.

UBwef0L.png

spacer.png

I saw a post on the Pacers Instagram about their jersey history, and never remembered seeing this uniform design - the "layup logo" being including in the script is such a pleasing idea that I'm surprised the team hasn't gone back to it yet.

• Like 4

rAUPGPZ.png

3 hours ago, GrayJ12 said:

spacer.png

I saw a post on the Pacers Instagram about their jersey history, and never remembered seeing this uniform design - the "layup logo" being including in the script is such a pleasing idea that I'm surprised the team hasn't gone back to it yet.

Indiana wore this in 1976/77:

31d308_288476224c83419caa4bf00b0bd72ce2~

...then changes the home uniform to the one you posted above in 1977/78:

31d308_35d06775b49346ca93042008afc26986~

...then slightly adjusted the shorts on both from 1978-81:

31d308_d52b22347aab4e459d97ef1532c40b19~

• 1 month later...

Yeah, they kinda fluctuated between "we're red and white" "no, we're red and gold," and "no, no, no, we're red and silver" for most of their first two decades.

• Like 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Which baffles me.  How can a team called the 49ers not wear gold?  It's not the same argument as "well there's no navy bears or green eagles".

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Which baffles me.  How can a team called the 49ers not wear gold?  It's not the same argument as "well there's no navy bears or green eagles".

Exactly why I wish they would make the wordmark and swooshes on their jerseys gold, feels strange to not incorporate it into the jersey at all. All they need is a little bit, and making both gold prevents the swoosh from becoming too prominent. That and adding stripes to the socks would make their set even more perfect.

• Like 3

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

The 49ers have always frustrated me with their jerseys. The either have to be red and white only or if they include gold it has to be with black, drop-shadows, and logos on the sleeves.

I think the red jersey with gold-outlined numbers and gold incorporated in the sleeves would look fantastic.

• Like 3

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 2/7/2023 at 6:16 PM, Discrim said:

Yeah, they kinda fluctuated between "we're red and white" "no, we're red and gold," and "no, no, no, we're red and silver" for most of their first two decades.

I always assumed they had the gold base on the helmet when the first introduced the logo on the helmet...

rAUPGPZ.png

On 2/7/2023 at 4:22 PM, BBTV said:

from memory, the people who first owned the 49ers were santal clara university alums, so they wanted red and grey back then

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

Something I think next to nobody notices... the "P" in the arch Pirates script is "capitalized" (aka it's slightly bigger than the rest).

ethf3kkegei9pqwfdequ05hg2.gif

This led me to notice that it's slightly changed  a few times over the years. It was this way when they first went to that script in the 50's up through the 60's and most of the 70's. The original version of the 1960's uniforms appears to have taller letters than the more "squished" current version they've worn since bringing back that uniform when they moved to PNC Park in 2001.

7127071948.gif 7198761957.gif

Personally, I prefer the late 70's to late 90's version with all the letters the same size (before they went to this for a few years which, honestly, I also kinda liked).

2307.gif

oBIgzrL.png

• 1 year later...

Not a uniform detail per se, but I think this might be the only thread where this might be appropriate for this.

Ball State used this logo, known as "Dancing Charlie," from the mid 1960s until the 1990s. Ball State has brought back this logo in recent years (first in football, and then through other sports):
spacer.png

I was going through the wonderful St. Louis Cardinals Uniforms and Logos website a few days when I found this 1958 scorecard for the Slugging Birds:
spacer.png

I feel like it was not uncommon back in the day for college teams to borrow logos from pro teams (heck, Ball State's helmet logo was the St. Louis/Phoenix football Cardinals logo the same time Dancing Charlie was the official athletics logo.) But the fact that I found this is very interesting.

• Like 1

rAUPGPZ.png

1 hour ago, GrayJ12 said:

I feel like it was not uncommon back in the day for college teams to borrow logos from pro teams 

At least when it comes to baseball, it's not uncommon today for college teams to borrow logos from pro teams: 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1