Underreported Uniform Details

On 6/28/2022 at 11:23 PM, Discrim said:

20120302_rvr_bb2_069.0.jpg

350606.jpg.jpg

VTG AUTHENTIC 90's ROD WOODSON STEELERS NFL STARTER DURENE JERSEY 52 SEWN  RARE! | eBay

I don't know why they don't do this now with Nike. Is it a team decision or the NFL not allowing this. You could at least have the whole pattern on the sleeves.

Oh Honey, No…a Bucky's 5th Quarter Fashion Blog: University of Iowa Hawkeyes  - Bucky's 5th Quarter

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, johnnysama said:

^ Steelers did the same thing. It wasn't until 1997 that they became the last NFL team to switch to a V-neck collar that it changed.

https://www.greyflannelauctions.com/lot-29997.aspx

Here's a Neil O'Donnell jersey from '94 showing the NFL shield below the crew-neck collar. Odd they did it that way.

UBwef0L.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2022 at 3:21 PM, MJWalker45 said:

VTG AUTHENTIC 90's ROD WOODSON STEELERS NFL STARTER DURENE JERSEY 52 SEWN  RARE! | eBay

I don't know why they don't do this now with Nike. Is it a team decision or the NFL not allowing this. You could at least have the whole pattern on the sleeves.

Oh Honey, No…a Bucky's 5th Quarter Fashion Blog: University of Iowa Hawkeyes  - Bucky's 5th Quarter

The problem lies with Pittburgh. Nike is just printing what the team gives them, similar to the 49ers. Nike has shown they can fit 3 stripes on a jersey,  but in 2012, san fran's striping pattern was intentionally cut of by San Fran.

20120830_kkt_ax5_161.jpgratio3x2_1800.jpg

• Like 4

Oo, finally a place to rant about this.

In 2019, one year after unveiling their current set, the Jaguars adjusted the cut of their sleeve cuff detail so that it would roll under the shoulder pads less and be more visible. I applaud them for it, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen another team in the modern era silently “fix” their uniforms only just enough so that the Shield doesn’t consider it different enough from the retail version to consider it a new jersey. Compare pics for any player who played in both years:

apixsdh92__31861.1627080289.jpg?c=2
b4801eadd53a4230917eb44f77d89c82.jpg?w=6
gettyimages-10440919521-e1541658912384.j

1175358110.jpg.jpg
hi-res-ad8df6fb9c3fa307d25f1fd19161684a_
jacksonville-fl-usa-27th-dec-2020-jackso

There was no announcement for it and, to date, I am the only person I’ve seen even mention it, period. Not even here of all places.

• Like 12

13 hours ago, Bathysphere said:

In 2019, one year after unveiling their current set, the Jaguars adjusted the cut of their sleeve cuff detail so that it would roll under the shoulder pads less and be more visible. I applaud them for it, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen another team in the modern era silently “fix” their uniforms only just enough so that the Shield doesn’t consider it different enough from the retail version to consider it a new jersey. Compare pics for any player who played in both years:

1175358110.jpg.jpg

There was no announcement for it and, to date, I am the only person I’ve seen even mention it, period. Not even here of all places.

It's been mentioned here before, but most times when a thread gets JAX-jacked, we end up talking about how superior the original set is and how they need to go back to it.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

It's been mentioned here before, but most times when a thread gets JAX-jacked, we end up talking about how superior the original set is and how they need to go back to it.

Consider that the one who mentioned it was also me LOL

But yeah, I don’t think I’ve missed a single entry in the the NFL news threads in years, and I can’t recall anyone else bringing it up.

On 8/11/2022 at 11:19 PM, Bathysphere said:

1175358110.jpg.jpg

It was probably allowed because the retail jerseys wouldn't have needed to be changed - just the game-day ones.  If the change would have required producing new stock for retailers then it would likely have been blocked.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

For whatever reason, the Jets at some point in the 2000s added green under the white sleeve. The away jerseys did the same adding white under the green sleeves.

Chad-Pennington-Jets-Credit-USA-TODAY-Sp

chad-pennington.jpg?w=800&h=450&crop=1

This went on even under Nike until the uniforms last 2 or 3 seasons when they finally reverted back to the normal sleeves or at least how they're suppose to look.

https-3A-2F-2Fthejetpress-com-2Ffiles-2F

josh-mccown-1400.jpg

XM4KeeA.png

9 hours ago, insert name said:

For whatever reason, the Jets at some point in the 2000s added green under the white sleeve. The away jerseys did the same adding white under the green sleeves.

Chad-Pennington-Jets-Credit-USA-TODAY-Sp

chad-pennington.jpg?w=800&h=450&crop=1

This went on even under Nike until the uniforms last 2 or 3 seasons when they finally reverted back to the normal sleeves or at least how they're suppose to look.

https-3A-2F-2Fthejetpress-com-2Ffiles-2F

josh-mccown-1400.jpg

For Nike I think it’s just a matter of different cuts. Fitzpatrick is wearing the qb cut, versus mccowan wearing the skill position cut. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dont care said:

For Nike I think it’s just a matter of different cuts. Fitzpatrick is wearing the qb cut, versus mccowan wearing the skill position cut. 

for what it's worth, this was Sam Darnold during its final season with the full white sleeves.

d1a4f53dd00a4de8a5c941f82a7a7efd.jpg?w=5

XM4KeeA.png

The Indianapolis Colts jersey pants of the 1980's had a nice feature that I'd wish would make a comeback:

spacer.png

Yeah, I don't think silver works for the Colts, but the horseshoe on the pants stripe with the number of the player is such a nice and neat feature in a history of a team that has had one of the most consistent looks in sports.

• Like 3

rAUPGPZ.png

Supposedly the Cincinnati Bengals uniforms every year from 1996 to 1999. They couldn't keep the same look for more than a year. It seems like the team had no idea what they wanted to look like. It stopped in 2001 when Reebok took over the NFL uniform contract. People wonder why NFL has a 5 year rule and this is a good example of why. They force teams to set a design and stick to it.

By the way, I think the Puma version sucks.

1996_Cincinnati.png

1997_Cincinnati.png

1998_Cincinnati.png

1999_Cincinnati.png

2001_Cincinnati.png

• Like 3
  • WOAH 1

bSLCtu2.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not a uniform detail, but a field art one...when the old AFC logo first came into being, it was usually depicted as a red A surrounded by blue stars, a nod to the AFL's logo, which it replaced.  By the 90s, however, the stars had come to usually be red...except in the Astrodome, where to my knowledge, the two AFC logos flanking the Oilers lettering in one endzones was the last regular use of the blue star version.

• Like 4

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• 2 weeks later...

A few years ago, I started a thread for small details that people love. It's now locked. Funny, I missed my personal favorite on my own thread...and it's right there in my avatar.

The North Stars in the 1980s had flattened out three of the five points on the star on their jerseys. And I think it looks so much better that way than with the five points. The mothership always shows five points (jersey and logos) so I don't know if the primary logos looked had the five points or the three flattened points.

Anyway, it's a really small detail that most people don't realize and I really think it improves the logo (and I don't have any idea why...)

Picture1.jpg

• Like 2

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)