NHL League logo concept

gojetsgo

I made this for BroadStreetBully's contest a month ago but I had no time since I was in the middle of a big move. So here's a revamped NHL logo, although I believe their current one is perfectly fine. Comments/criticisms welcome

nhl5.jpg

I heard the NHL wanted to get the Stanley Cup into its new logo so I put it there.

The idea behind this logo is really good, but it does look like it has been sealed under a saran wrap or something like that.

Maybe you could try the same idea, without any special effects over it. And if you can, try to make the lines for the player cleaner.

Otherwise, this is a really solid concept to build on!

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Really like the raise button sort of look to it, and the player holding the cup inset looks really dynamic. I would recommend some colour though, maybe similar to the Eastern and Western Conference logos or something. I agree that the initial design is solid though. Looking sweet!

HibsSignature.gif

Thanks go to Eddie010 for the Signature and Avatar. Nice work, mate!

Thanks for the comments guys. By the way, the guy holding the cup was modeled after Joe Sakic.

I didn't send it to the NHL remake contest because other logos like conference logos and a "cup crazy" logo were needed for the contest. . I was moving cities at the time. No big deal... it's just a contest.

I thought about red white and blue like the other leagues but I think the NHL should stay unique from those leagues. Plus it will be too much like the logos of the NHLPA, AHL , etc.

All in all, I'll probably tweak the logo a bit when I have time. Maybe I'll get rid of the lighting effects or adjust them.

I thought about red white and blue like the other leagues but I think the NHL should stay unique from those leagues. Plus it will be too much like the logos of the NHLPA, AHL , etc.

And do we really need to Americanize a Canadian sport? Yes I'm aware that 95 percent of the teams are in the U.S. but we dont have to give the league logo the Uncle Sam makeover.

first of all the nhl should never be changing the logo and second of all that logo up there is sweet. It just needs some orange so it doesn't look like an oakland raiders logo. ^_^

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

I thought about red white and blue like the other leagues but I think the NHL should stay unique from those leagues.  Plus it will be too much like the logos of the NHLPA, AHL , etc.

And do we really need to Americanize a Canadian sport? Yes I'm aware that 95 percent of the teams are in the U.S. but we dont have to give the league logo the Uncle Sam makeover.

Technically, only 80% of NHL teams are based in the United States. It's not like it's a complete sweep like you're suggesting.

I heard the NHL wanted to get the Stanley Cup into its new logo so I put it there.

Is this the quote you were referring to?:

"A keystone of the new plan is updating the league's 80-year old logo. Early ideas would seem to suggest that the familiar orange and black shield would be modified to reflect the essence of the Stanley Cup. This would include changing the colours to grayish silver, as well as adding new depth to an otherwise flat shield."

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Awesome. What a great concept!

You should remove the embossing/plastic wrap effects for the simple reason of "applied feasibilty". The logo will be applied to a tremendous range of products using a number of different methods. A feasible logo is one that considers all aspects of reproduction in a creative comprimise.

For example. Your logo, with the effects, can be accurately produced on paper using fairly nice offset equipment, however, it is impossible to embroider it using the best commercial equipment.

Notice the clean simplicity of current league logos from the minors to the pros. They are able to apply their brand to anything at any size and maintain a consistant image.

I'm not trying to take the wind out of your sails by any means. I hope you push this design as far as possible. It's phukkin solid and speaks to me as a hockey fan.

Hell, if you get to the "feasible" point and want to see it stitched out or silk screened let me know. I'd be happy to provide you with spec samples to include in your league proposal.

So, by popular (or rather unpopular) demand, I removed the effects off my logo. Here's a couple retooled logos, a little bit cleaned up. The second one has a little bit of embossing just to keep it from being so flat. Feel free to give any more comments.

nhl6.jpgnhl7.jpg

And yes Frenchie, that was the quote I was working off of.

By the way, with the whole NHL logo redesign thing, is the league actually accepting logos, or is strictly an in-house thing?

Technically, only 80% of NHL teams are based in the United States. It's not like it's a complete sweep like you're suggesting.

Hyperbole? Sure but 24 out of 30 is still a pretty overwhelming majority. I just don't want to see more red white and blue where it doesn't belong. :flagcanada:

I suppose we can still sleep at night knowing Canadians still make up the largest nationality of players. Hmmm, not much of a consolation when you consider that Quebec and Winnepeg lose their teams, Hamilton and North York can't get a bid in, while cities like...oh my lord....I still can't beleive it *sigh*.....I mean cities like San Jose and Atlanta get teams.

If you excuse, I'l be crying myself to sleep now. :down:

HibsSignature.gif

Thanks go to Eddie010 for the Signature and Avatar. Nice work, mate!

I suppose we can still sleep at night knowing Canadians still make up the largest nationality of players. Hmmm, not much of a consolation when you consider that Quebec and Winnepeg loss their teams, Hamilton and North York can't get a bid in, while cities like...oh my lord....I still can't beleive it *sigh*.....I mean cities like San Jose and Atlanta get teams.

If you excuse, I'l be crying myself to sleep now. :down:

I agree that Canada deserves more teams - Yes, coming from an American.

The way I see it, us Americans and you Canadians are like brothers. :D

:flagusa::flagcanada:

Archived