World Cup discussion

Ez Street

canada vs czech republic should be a good game, but i see us winning by 2 :flagcanada:

I certainly hope you are right. I have been reading that Brodeur might not be playing, which makes me very nervous. They say if he does not play, Luongo will get the start. I like Luongo and I think is a great goalie, but he has been sitting on the bench for a while, let us hope he can repeat his performance from the 2002 World Championships. We cannot afford to have anyone in the net who is not going to be on their 'A' game with the fire power the Czech's have.

Wow--what a game--but even though Canada will be taking on the Finns (w/Kipper) I won't hold that against him--

I don't see how anyone can begrudge a guy who's 3rd on the depth chart getting a chance and making the best (or almost best--we still lost in the finals) of it...

Should be a good game Monday...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I don't see how anyone can begrudge a guy who's 3rd on the depth chart getting a chance and making the best of it...

of course you dont, you werent on the wrong end of it

however, I was. I have resentment for all those on the other end and nothing you say will change my mind

I don't see how anyone can begrudge a guy who's 3rd on the depth chart getting a chance and making the best of it...

of course you dont, you werent on the wrong end of it

however, I was. I have resentment for all those on the other end and nothing you say will change my mind

I've been on both ends of it--and I've never resorted to the behaviour you've exhibited here...

That's it for me on this topic since I can''t change your mind--which I wasn't attemppting--just asking questions...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Am I the only one who thinks the World Cup of Hockey is a big joke? I've been following it, but the whole format really stinks.

I don't see your point, so no, I don't think the format stinks. I think it's pretty cool actually. Perhaps if you explained why you think that way, I'd be able to appreciate your opinion more.

In other news... GO CANADA! Heartbreaker for the Czechs, who in many ways outplayed Canada. But in Nagano, it was the exact opposite, so now it's our turn!

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Am I the only one who thinks the World Cup of Hockey is a big joke? I've been following it, but the whole format really stinks.

I don't see your point, so no, I don't think the format stinks. I think it's pretty cool actually. Perhaps if you explained why you think that way, I'd be able to appreciate your opinion more.

In other news... GO CANADA! Heartbreaker for the Czechs, who in many ways outplayed Canada. But in Nagano, it was the exact opposite, so now it's our turn!

I should explain......

Perahps, is not so much the format as how it's implemented. A World Cup where the teams don't get eliminated after the round-robin? What's the point, really other than see who plays who in the knock-out round. Teams in the European group play a few thousand miles away (longer than a Cross-Country road trip), then the "fortunate" two have to fly over, to play the semi-final and possibly final in North America(although they do have and extra couple days rest). At the same time US and Canada don't really have to move. Especially Canada because the only travelling they do is some bus ride from Montreal to Toronto. I think the World Cup games should ONLY be played in ONE region. Say, Canada/US or Europe. Yeah, they are athletes and all, but this tournament is really set-up so Canada can win and NHL/NHLPA can grab some money, especially before a lock-out.

I saw, I came, I left.

I should explain......

Perahps, is not so much the format as how it's implemented. A World Cup where the teams don't get eliminated after the round-robin? What's the point, really other than see who plays who in the knock-out round. Teams in the European group play a few thousand miles away (longer than a Cross-Country road trip), then the "fortunate" two have to fly over, to play the semi-final and possibly final in North America(although they do have and extra couple days rest). At the same time US and Canada don't really have to move. Especially Canada because the only travelling they do is some bus ride from Montreal to Toronto. I think the World Cup games should ONLY be played in ONE region. Say, Canada/US or Europe. Yeah, they are athletes and all, but this tournament is really set-up so Canada can win and NHL/NHLPA can grab some money, especially before a lock-out.

Agreed. They should swap off locations every tournament (Europe, NA) and make the top two in the pool round advance.

Well, this is a continuation, with a new name, of the old Canada Cup. Really, I kindof like the format of having the two pools play in two different places, though of course it leaves two European teams without a "home" rink.

It is odd that no one is eliminated after the round robin.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I should explain......

i see where you're going...maybe the format should be round robin like now, then the top team from group A plays the second place from group B and vice versa, and then the final...maybe then you wouldn't see teams like the US and the Czechs playing listlessly for most of those games.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

The Czechs playing listlessly? Were you watching the same game I was?

Besides, keep in mind that both of those third-place teams took out the second-place teams; and in the case of the Czechs, that was at Sweden.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

This whole playing on different continents kind of fits with the way this tournament was set-up; just deciding to hold it after an eight year absence. However, hopefully once they start hosting this on a regular basis and such, I am sure they will select an area that hosts it. I think quadival was right, the NHL/NHLPA were looking to make the extra bucks from the North American hockey mecca's.

The Czechs playing listlessly? Were you watching the same game I was?

Besides, keep in mind that both of those third-place teams took out the second-place teams; and in the case of the Czechs, that was at Sweden.

I think he was referring to their play in the round robin, where they definitely did not play up to their potential.

They reason why they have this format is to increase the chances for a US-Canada final. Of course that didn't happen this year. They have it on 2 different continents to hopefully tire out some of the European teams so they will lose to the US and Canada. The reason why they cross play the pools in the semi-finals is so there could be a chance that the US plays Canada in the final. That way they can get those in the final and ensure they play each other once in pool play. Otherwise They would have the champ from each pool play each other in the championship. Everything is made to increase the chance of a US-Canada final because that is the match-up that will bring the most attenion and money to the NHL. Of course that back-fired this year because the US had Brian Leetch on their team.

They reason why they have this format is to increase the chances for a US-Canada final. Of course that didn't happen this year. They have it on 2 different continents to hopefully tire out some of the European teams so they will lose to the US and Canada. The reason why they cross play the pools in the semi-finals is so there could be a chance that the US plays Canada in the final. That way they can get those in the final and ensure they play each other once in pool play. Otherwise They would have the champ from each pool play each other in the championship. Everything is made to increase the chance of a US-Canada final because that is the match-up that will bring the most attenion and money to the NHL. Of course that back-fired this year because the US had Brian Leetch on their team.

You nailed it right on.

I saw, I came, I left.

LOL :lol:

That went from a pretty good analysis, to a darn good analysis

Archived