North American Pro Soccer 2023

Brian in Boston

People just need to remember: this tournament is not a Champions League model, it's a European Super League model. Even supporters here mobilized against that closed-shop model but very little pushback seemed to have spread when a closed-shop popped up on our own shores. I'm not saying it hasn't been entertaining, but the very essence of the tournament has prioritized spectacle and Mexican-American money over competition and fairness from the day it was announced.

It does seem to me like there are real logistical challenges that merit second looks and rethinks for the next edition, but I'm not sure how much MLS and LMX will be willing to mess with it... they did seem to optimize for $$$ well from the start this year.

• Like 1

Miami does it again! Greatest story in American sports right now.

Had Messi signed before the Apple deal, negotiations would have been completely different.

If ESPN had the MLS contract Messi would be all over that network (and I wouldn't need an Apple TV subscription).

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Miami does it again! Greatest story in American sports right now.

Had Messi signed before the Apple deal, negotiations would have been completely different.

If ESPN had the MLS contract Messi would be all over that network (and I wouldn't need an Apple TV subscription).

Messi will probably sit out road games against Atlanta, Charlotte, New England, Vancouver, Seattle and Portland because they all play on Turf and Messi doesn't want to play on turf.

On 8/13/2023 at 8:46 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Goodbye from anyone giving a :censored: Neymar.

He could still come over in 2 years when he finds out he can't take March off to go to his sister's birthday party.

8 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Messi will probably sit out road games against Atlanta, Charlotte, New England, Vancouver, Seattle and Portland because they all play on Turf and Messi doesn't want to play on turf.

Do we know he'll sit or  are we assuming it? Seeing as they'll probably have to win out to make the playoffs, he'll have to be on the field for some of those games. Busquets and Alba would be in the same boat as well. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

MLS season resumes tomorrow, and for me with "Hell is Real" FC Cincinnati vs Columbus Crew. Today their 2 teams face off in MLS Next Pro action and I just learned their derby name is known as "Heck is Plausible" 😆

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

Signature intentionally left blank

12 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I wasn't home to watch the game live, but caught highlights. What a finish!

Miami might never lose again.

I hope they do on Wednesday. Let Miami have the Leagues Cup. The US Open Cup belongs to FCC!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dilbert said:

I hope they do on Wednesday. Let Miami have the Leagues Cup. The US Open Cup belongs to FCC!

Garber and his buddies can't thumb the scale as much for the Open Cup, so hey, crazier things have happened.

Enjoyed the Apple TV clowns talking up Messi's 17th trophy or whatever as if the International Tournament of Cashgrab Friendlies Cup is really worthwhile. Feels like an icky path all of a sudden.

Saw this coming. As soon as we learned the Loyal weren't going to be involved in the MLS bid, I knew they would likely be leaving. Where they'll be headed remains unknown but hopefully they will actually be reborn unlike the Austin Bold.

6 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Not surprisingly, USL fans are blaming the MLS for what has happened to the Loyal.  

I'd say it's on the Loyal for not wanting to join up with the bid. We all knew this was the likeliest to occur.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png