North American Pro Soccer 2023

Brian in Boston

17 hours ago, Dilbert said:

FC Cincinnati advanced on penalties Saturday night.

I was at my in-laws house on Saturday night for a family party and we were all glued to that game. 

Dilbert undersold the crazy game in Harrison, New Jersey on Saturday night. Red Bulls led most of the game, but FC Cincinnati tied it on a pretty Aaron Boupendza goal and then we thought it was over with a buzzer beater corner kick from FCC. It went in and we all went bananas, but they determined it was a foul on the Red Bulls goalie by VAR. Went to PKs and New York needed to make one more to extend the series. Roman Celentano guessed incorrectly, but John Lukin hit the post. Couple rounds later they had another chance to win, but Serge Ngoma aired his shot over the crossbar. After a successful chance by FCC, Celentano made the next save and FC Cincinnati was through to the next round. Second time in two years that FCC has eliminated the Red Bulls in Red Bull arena. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

53 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I like the ESPN+ setup, but I think this will help the league get that much more exposure. Does this include the USL W League as well? 

Thus far, there's nothing to indicate that the United Soccer League's new multi-year rights agreement with CBS Sports calls for coverage of any matches but those of USL Championship and USL League One sides.

The USL Championship and USL League One are the only United Soccer League competitions mentioned in the press release and their respective emblems - the Championship's ⭐ and League One's 1️⃣ - are the only individual USL league marks that accompany the story announcing the agreement. In addition to the main United Soccer League website, said story only appears on the USL Championship and USL League One home pages.  

It could come to pass that match coverage of the United Soccer League's women's competitions - USL Super League and USL W League - are added to the deal. However, that doesn't seem to be the case at the moment. Might the current rights agreement between CBS and the National Women's Soccer League preclude the media company from airing the games of another women's domestic soccer league?   

Another coach gone.  Charlotte parts ways with Christian Lattanzio. Thats 18 coaching changes since the end of last season.

NYRB-Struber and CHI-Hendrickson (5/8, mutual agreement)
MIA-Neville (6/1, fired)
TOR-Bradley (6/26, fired)
MIA- Morales (6/28, end of interim period)
POR-Savarese (8/21, fired)
COL- Fraser (9/5, fired)
NE- Arena (9/9, resigned) and Williams (9/12, mutual agreement)
TOR-Dunfield (9/30, end of interim period)
MIN-Heath (10/6, fired)
DC- Rooney (10/7, mutual agreement)
POR- Joseph (11/6, end of interim period)
CLT-Lattanzio (11/8, mutual agreement)

add the four offseason changes before the 2023 season began:
CBS- Porter (10/8/22, fired)
HOU- Bundy (11/8/22, end of interim period)
MTL- Nancy (12/6/22, signed with CBS)
SJ- Covelo (1/3, end of interim period)
  • Like 1

Signature intentionally left blank

So only 3 series made it to a  game 3 for the first round. Add in the "Lets play a game to celebrate Messi" friendly between NYCFC and Miami next weekend for four matches this weekend before we have another international break before the conference semifinals begin.

LAFC awaits the Seattle/Dallas winner

Kansas City awaits the Houston/Salt Lake winner

Orlando awaits the Atlanta/Columbus winner

Cincinnati will host Philadelphia in a rematch of last years semifinal. This time in Cincinnati

Also this weekend we have the NWSL Final between Gotham and OL Reign and we have the USL Championship Final between Phoenix Rising and Charleston Battery. The fledgling NISA will have its final between City Union and the Michigan Stars

11 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Add in the "Lets play a game to celebrate Messi" friendly between NYCFC and Miami next weekend

Why are they doing this? So someone can charge $500 a seat? I know the China deal feel through, but if I was a regular starter for NYCFC I'd be pissed to be doing this instead of enjoying my offseason. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

17 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Another coach gone.  Charlotte parts ways with Christian Lattanzio. Thats 18 coaching changes since the end of last season.

NYRB-Struber and CHI-Hendrickson (5/8, mutual agreement)
MIA-Neville (6/1, fired)
TOR-Bradley (6/26, fired)
MIA- Morales (6/28, end of interim period)
POR-Savarese (8/21, fired)
COL- Fraser (9/5, fired)
NE- Arena (9/9, resigned) and Williams (9/12, mutual agreement)
TOR-Dunfield (9/30, end of interim period)
MIN-Heath (10/6, fired)
DC- Rooney (10/7, mutual agreement)
POR- Joseph (11/6, end of interim period)
CLT-Lattanzio (11/8, mutual agreement)

add the four offseason changes before the 2023 season began:
CBS- Porter (10/8/22, fired)
HOU- Bundy (11/8/22, end of interim period)
MTL- Nancy (12/6/22, signed with CBS)
SJ- Covelo (1/3, end of interim period)

Another one bites the dust. CF Montreal has now parted ways with Hernan Losada after one season. 19 coaching changes since last season now.

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Why are they doing this? So someone can charge $500 a seat? I know the China deal feel through, but if I was a regular starter for NYCFC I'd be pissed to be doing this instead of enjoying my offseason. 

MLS and Apple want to celebrate Messi becoming the first player in MLS to win the Ballon d'Or award and with the China games cancelled yes. Its all about the money, and MLS and Apple showing off Messi. They gotta makeup for the fact that he is not playing in the playoffs right now. I wouldnt be surprised if another friendly was scheduled. Maybe a friendly to celebrate Messi taking his kid to the park or something absurd like that. Its rediculous.  Honestly winning the Ballon d'Or award is nothing special at this point. Outside of three times ( one of them not being awarded due to the pandemic) the award has been won by either Messi or Ronaldo every year since 2008

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LaGrandeOrange said:

CFM sacking Losada is a joke but not unexpected given how short a leash everyone gets. Losada seems like he may be a good coach but he has yet to be given a real chance.

Best way I saw someone put it was Saputo treats his coaches like his companys dairy products and gets rid of them at the sell by date.

Eddie Firmani 1993

Valerio Gazzola 1994-97

Paul Kitson 1998

Tasso Koutsoukos 1998-00

Zoran Jankovic 2000

Valerio Gazzola 2000-01

Nick DeSantis 2001

Bob Lilley 2002-03

Nick DeSantis 2004-08

John Limniatis 2008-09

Marc Dos Santos 2009-11

Nick DeSantis 2011

Jesse Marsch 2011-12

Marco Schallbaum 2013

Frank Klopas 2013-15

Mauro Biello 2015-17

Remi Garde 2017-19

Wilmer Cabrera 2019

Thierry Henry 2019-21

Wilfried Nancy 2021-22

Hernan Losada 2022-23

On 11/9/2023 at 8:12 PM, LaGrandeOrange said:

Bobby Smyrniotis should take the job before he goes to the Canada NT.

I don't see why anyone who is with a job would take one in Montreal. You know you're only getting a season. Bobby should stick with forge if Montreal is the option.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)