North American Pro Soccer 2023

Brian in Boston

57 minutes ago, McCall said:

I'm fairly new to MLS, but can someone explain the point of having a 3-game series for the "first round" (not wild card) when every other round is a single game?🤨

Owners were complaining if they lose the first game on the road they get no gate money. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

13 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Owners were complaining if they lose the first game on the road they get no gate money. 

I thought it was more that Apple just wanted more games generally, and this (plus expanding the field) is the best way they came up with doing it? Although yeah, I think it's good overall when even low seeds get to host playoff games. This is why I'm still team two-legs until the finals, no away goals, keep the playoff field small enough to make this number of games manageable.

• Like 1

Just now, Digby said:

I thought it was more that Apple just wanted more games generally, and this (plus expanding the field) is the best way they came up with doing it? Although yeah, I think it's good overall when even low seeds get to host playoff games. This is why I'm still team two-legs until the finals, no away goals, keep the playoff field small enough to make this number of games manageable.

Agreed. I think this setup with a one off wild card and two legs up until the final, ala the EFL playoffs is the best option if you want each team to have at least one home game in the playoffs proper. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Finalists for MLS awards this year. To no shock Messi is up for Newcomer of the year, despite only 6 MLS appearances with 1 goal and 2 assists (Tournament and international games dont count).

Landon Donovan MLS MVP finalists

• Luciano Acosta - FC Cincinnati
  • Thiago Almada - Atlanta United
  • Dénis Bouanga - LAFC

Sigi Schmid MLS Coach of the Year finalists

• Bradley Carnell - St. Louis CITY SC
  • Wilfried Nancy - Columbus Crew
  • Pat Noonan - FC Cincinnati

MLS Newcomer of the Year finalists

For this award, “newcomer” is defined as a player who had previous professional experience and made his MLS debut in 2023.

• Giorgos Giakoumakis - Atlanta United
  • Eduard Löwen - St. Louis CITY SC
  • Lionel Messi - Inter Miami CF

MLS Young Player of the Year finalists

For this award, any “young player” in MLS who is age 22 or younger during the calendar year is eligible for consideration.

• Duncan McGuire - Orlando City SC
  • Aidan Morris - Columbus Crew

Allstate MLS Goalkeeper of the Year finalists

• Roman Bürki - St. Louis CITY SC
  • Roman Celentano - FC Cincinnati
  • Pedro Gallese - Orlando City SC

MLS Defender of the Year finalists

• Yeimar Gómez Andrade - Seattle Sounders FC
  • Matt Miazga - FC Cincinnati
  • Tim Parker - St. Louis CITY SC

MLS Comeback Player of the Year finalists

Honors an MLS player who has overcome a severe injury and/or adversity and, as a result, missed a significant portion of the 2022 season – then shown improved performance to achieve success during the 2023 season.

• João Paulo - Seattle Sounders FC
  • Alan Pulido - Sporting Kansas City
  • Miles Robinson - Atlanta United

Audi Goals Drive Progress Impact Award finalists

Learn more about the Audi Goals Drive Progress Impact Award and our Players’ community efforts here.

• Alejandro Bedoya - Philadelphia Union
  • Darlington Nagbe - Columbus Crew
  • Taylor Washington - Nashville SC

MLS Referee of the Year finalists

• Jon Freemon
  • Victor Rivas
  • Ted Unkel

MLS Assistant Referee of the Year finalists

• Michael Barwegan
  • Cam Blanchard
  • Ian McKay

Signature intentionally left blank

9 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Finalists for MLS awards this year. To no shock Messi is up for Newcomer of the year, despite only 6 MLS appearances with 1 goal and 2 assists (Tournament and international games dont count).

Landon Donovan MLS MVP finalists

• Luciano Acosta - FC Cincinnati
  • Dénis Bouanga - LAFC

Sigi Schmid MLS Coach of the Year finalists

• Bradley Carnell - St. Louis CITY SC
  • Wilfried Nancy - Columbus Crew
  • Pat Noonan - FC Cincinnati

MLS Newcomer of the Year finalists

For this award, “newcomer” is defined as a player who had previous professional experience and made his MLS debut in 2023.

• Giorgos Giakoumakis - Atlanta United
  • Eduard Löwen - St. Louis CITY SC
  • Lionel Messi - Inter Miami CF

MLS Young Player of the Year finalists

For this award, any “young player” in MLS who is age 22 or younger during the calendar year is eligible for consideration.

• Duncan McGuire - Orlando City SC
  • Aidan Morris - Columbus Crew

Allstate MLS Goalkeeper of the Year finalists

• Roman Bürki - St. Louis CITY SC
  • Roman Celentano - FC Cincinnati
  • Pedro Gallese - Orlando City SC

MLS Defender of the Year finalists

• Yeimar Gómez Andrade - Seattle Sounders FC
  • Matt Miazga - FC Cincinnati
  • Tim Parker - St. Louis

No shock if Messi wins the Newcomer of the Year Award. My votes are above in bold. I stopped at the Defender of the Year Award.

11 hours ago, Dilbert said:

To no shock Messi is up for Newcomer of the year, despite only 6 MLS appearances with 1 goal and 2 assists (Tournament and international games dont count).

I mean.....the award description doesn't say how many games played. 🤷‍♂️

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

2 hours ago, Jer15 said:

I mean.....the award description doesn't say how many games played. 🤷‍♂️

True, but the only reason he's here is because they couldn't justify MVP awards.  Teemu Pukki scored 10 goals in 14 matches and wasn't included in the final three. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

There are 4 things that are certain in life.

-Death

-Taxes

- Forge FC in the CPL Finals

-Louisville City in the USL Championship conference finals

Congrats to Forge FC on winning their 4th title in 5 years tonight over rival Cavalry FC

Louisville in their 9th season is heading to the conference finals for the 9th season in a row.

USL League One Final is set between rivals North Carolina FC and Charlotte Independence. North Carolina will be returning to the Championship next season.

MLS playoffs were blowouts today.

On 10/28/2023 at 11:45 PM, Dilbert said:

There are 4 things that are certain in life.

-Death

-Taxes

- Forge FC in the CPL Finals

-Louisville City in the USL Championship conference finals

Congrats to Forge FC on winning their 4th title in 5 years tonight over rival Cavalry FC

Louisville in their 9th season is heading to the conference finals for the 9th season in a row.

USL League One Final is set between rivals North Carolina FC and Charlotte Independence. North Carolina will be returning to the Championship next season.

MLS playoffs were blowouts today.

Louisville City is a team I want to see in MLS, as MLS is Louisville's only chance at a Major League team at this point. 

First, Game 1 of St. Louis vs Kansas City is on at 9pm on a Sunday night. Now, Game 2 is on at 4pm on Saturday while (CFP)#12 Mizzou is playing (CFP)#2 Georgia.🤦‍♂️ At least this time, I can put it on one of my side TVs. And I guess I didn't really miss anything from Game 1.

1 hour ago, Dilbert said:

I dont like that there are Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday night games. Games 1 and 2 for CBS-ATL are on weeknights, and game three if necessary on  a Sunday night. Just horrible scheduling all around.

As much as Apple TV has had everyone playing at the same time, they are doing the opposite for the playoffs. I'm happy they aren't all playing at the same time, but they should at least be playing within a day of each other. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

FC Cincinnati advanced on penalties Saturday night. Kansas City upsets St Louis to sweep their series knocking out the top seed in the west. LAFC swept Vancouver, but not without controversy, as LAFC was up 1-0 in second half stoppage. Vancouver had their keeper up as an eleventh man on offense, leaving an empty goal for Vancouver.  PRO official Tim Ford pretty much bodychecked a Vancouver player who had the ball coming right toward him, leaving the ball for LAFC who took it down field for the empty net to seal it for LAFC. Vancouver surrounded Ford furious. Goal was called off though for offsides, but a big chance for Vancouver to tie it was lost.

Meanwhile congrats to North Carolina FC who leave USL League One as champions, defeating rival Charlotte Independence in penalties. NCFC is joining USL Championship next year.

• Like 2

FC Dallas is tied with Seattle 1-1.  Them having a Texas Rangers like run in the post season is unlikely, so I expect them to end their season empty handed.  Among the Big 5 major sports leagues in Dallas, FC Dallas is all alone in the Zero Championships Club of DFW Sports teams.  Say they did make a run though and won the MLS Cup this year, it's unlikely that FC Dallas would get as much coverage as the Rangers did from the time they clinched the World Series to the Parade.