WBC '23 x Nike - 20/20 (Venezuela)

Victormrey

3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Colombia looks good! One nitpick I have is the sleeve stripes are so thin that they bleed together, almost looking purple or brown. Any chance of restoring the thicker stripes, a la their current uniforms?

Thank you 😉 What about using the piping from the orange alt?

0h73y4H.png

y1ld7I3.png

• Like 2

All of these are really nice and I'm enjoying how willing you are to going in new directions than what some teams look like in real-life. South Korea and Canada are both really sharp, while I wish I could get a t-shirt of that third Czech jersey (love the use of patterns). The Japan update with navy lettering and a pink outline is another one of my favorites. Pink is underused in baseball. 

I didn't notice at first that Columbia's word mark was three colors, rather than two. Similar to the sleeve piping as @coco1997 mentioned, the drop shadows are so thin that the colors blend together. Would outlining the yellow-orange in navy first and then having just a read drop shadow improve that?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, coco1997 said:

That's definitely an improvement! 

Agreed!

12 hours ago, Megildur said:

All of these are really nice and I'm enjoying how willing you are to going in new directions than what some teams look like in real-life. South Korea and Canada are both really sharp, while I wish I could get a t-shirt of that third Czech jersey (love the use of patterns). The Japan update with navy lettering and a pink outline is another one of my favorites. Pink is underused in baseball. 

I didn't notice at first that Columbia's word mark was three colors, rather than two. Similar to the sleeve piping as @coco1997 mentioned, the drop shadows are so thin that the colors blend together. Would outlining the yellow-orange in navy first and then having just a read drop shadow improve that?

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it.

I think your suggestion pretty much solves the issue while being closer to the 2017 wordmark, which adds some sense of continuity:

7j47MJP.png

Quick edit:

I just recalled this Rays' Big League Chew hat, which features an outlined dropshadow logo. Does it work better?

nwXSKGt.png

Edited by Victormrey
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Megildur said:

Nice updates! I prefer the first one primarily because it maintains the orange-navy-red order of colors from the sleeve striping.

Thanks, I'm glad you like them! I think the 2nd version is a little more clean, but I also prefer how the 1st idea follows Colombia's flag 😁

11 minutes ago, johnrafael said:

I simply love to see how much this template evolved since I handed you that rough SVG, @AusGiant. This is one of the best series I've ever seen using this. Congratulations, Victormrey!

Thank you, mate! And thanks a lot for creating the base of such an amazing template!

Another Wednesday, another team! Let's continue with Great Britain:

The whole set has a retro approach inspired by the uniform used during the 1938 Amateur Series, which the British won against the USA.

The home jersey features an interlocked GB logo based on the style of UK's Royal Monograms, while the road design uses an arched block wordmark.

As for the alternate... I think it will be divisive. I tried to make something unique by using the front placket and its piping to re-create the Union Jack, with embossed logos. What do you think? Do you guys like it or should I try something else?

cL6nlZD.png

OxzmwZr.png

U7qLpjY.png

bGH7q4g.png

• Like 3

• Victormrey changed the title to WBC '23 x Nike - 13/20 (Great Britain)

Nice work on Great Britain! The alt is actually my favorite of the three, but how about adding thick red T-bar-esque sleeve stripes to further mimic the Union Jack, since the flag stripes go both horizontally and vertically? I'm also not totally sold on the sublimated "GB"; I'd probably just make it a white/cream.

For the road jersey, maybe make the middle stripes on the headspoon and sleeves white so they pop a bit more. 

Keep up the great work! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Nice work on Great Britain! The alt is actually my favorite of the three, but how about adding thick red T-bar-esque sleeve stripes to further mimic the Union Jack, since the flag stripes go both horizontally and vertically? I'm also not totally sold on the sublimated "GB"; I'd probably just make it a white/cream.

For the road jersey, maybe make the middle stripes on the headspoon and sleeves white so they pop a bit more. 

Keep up the great work! 

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Good to know someone likes the alt design 😉 I was doubtful about it. Here's the road and alternate jersey with your suggestions applied:

8GvDlSh.png

j8gIpvS.png

I think both of them look much better!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Let'scontinue with the team which won our hearts (at least mine) in this tournament: México!

The home and road jerseys follow a retro style, featuring sleeve t-bars in the colours of the flag. Instead of using grey as main road colour, I went for a grey-ish green, since I believe complements the style nicely.

Both jerseys contrast with the black alternate, which features bright shades of green and red.

The whole set uses a modified versio of the team's actual wormdark, which I edited to create more white space inside, inspired by Mexico '68 Olympics brand style.

P2tXzLU.png

jGR0GEv.png

p6dxazY.png

wPR4fsh.png

• Like 5

• Victormrey changed the title to WBC '23 x Nike - 14/20 (Mexico)

The tweaks to Great Britain are definite improvements, especially the Union Jack-inspired stripes on the sleeves of the alt!

I like what you did with Mexico, especially the addition of T-bars and the black alt. Not sure how I feel about the muted colors for the home and road, but I can see them growing on me. 

• Love 1

On 3/26/2023 at 8:37 PM, coco1997 said:

The tweaks to Great Britain are definite improvements, especially the Union Jack-inspired stripes on the sleeves of the alt!

I like what you did with Mexico, especially the addition of T-bars and the black alt. Not sure how I feel about the muted colors for the home and road, but I can see them growing on me. 

Thank you!

I picked "faded" hues for Mexico because I think they suited the retro take 😉

Time to close Pool C with the USA!

The original idea was to re-create the 1984 Olympic set, with the main home and road jerseys featuring racing stripes, while keeping both alts clean. However, you'll see the result is a little bit different.

Thanks to @coco1997 for suggesting me to add pinstripes to the main designs, and to @Paul Lucas for having the idea of alternating between navy and red for them!

KQoKLDx.png

dVZwwlF.png

On the other hand, both alternate jerseys were kept closer to the real deal, adding flag motifs to their respectives wordmarks:

x9aZRDp.png

6nRlhNc.png

As for the cap, I wanted to go for an all-rounder which could fit the whole set under a single design, featuring a classic "US" monogram with a squared font:

EibkmUs.png

• Like 5

• Victormrey changed the title to WBC '23 x Nike - 15/20 (USA)

We're getting closer to the end of the series, now starting Group D with the Dominican Republic!

Just like for Mexico, I took a retro path for RD, using a special sleeve, cuff and collar piping inspired by their national flag for the main home and road designs. This look is completed by the use of off-white as base home colour and a two-level block script for both jerseys. On the other hand, the alternate uniform also features a cuff and collar piping based on the Domincan flag:

CKpbTYn.png

ZJ5w39d.png

PaknEcj.png

1yf8wb5.png

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this last set, as well as, if possible, for the US designs!

Due to Easter Holidays I won't be able to post any recommended tweak, but if I get any, I'll write it down and post it from next Monday onwards!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Victormrey changed the title to WBC '23 x Nike - 16/20 (Dominican Republic)

Catching up a bit since my last post:

• Canada: Looks good! I'm honestly impressed they managed to create a wordmark that looks modern and fresh while still tying into their dated cap logo quite nicely. I like that the stripes match the wordmark as well.
  • Colombia: The updates you made to them are improvements, I do feel it is important generally speaking for them that the blue separates the yellow & red, so that the warmer colors don't blend together (the previous Twins set had a similar issue).
  • Great Britain: Once again the updates really make this set, it looks nice & classic, I especially love the Union Jack alternate, that's probably my favorite jersey of the series so far.
  • Mexico: I like the split-color style of the main jerseys, and I especially like the neon-lights vibe of the alternate.
  • USA: This set feels patriotic to the max, and I dig it. The alternating pins is a nice compromise between going with just one or the other, as I feel navy would be too drab, and red too bright/pink-ish. For the red alternate, I'd maybe suggest going with more same-size, geometric stars, like the flag, as the different-sized stars make me think of space (which I guess isn't the worst thing, as the US obviously played a big part in the "Space Race"). I like the red & white stripes on the navy alternate.
  • Dominican Republic: Probably my favorite overall set of the series so far, the main home & away feel like they'd be right at home in the 1950's, in the best way. I'm not sure how I feel about the inclusion of navy on the alternate, but I get why you did it in order to continue the flag motif. Maybe there's a way to maintain that but with just red & white?

Looking forward to seeing the last few teams!

• Love 1

17 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Catching up a bit since my last post:

• Canada: Looks good! I'm honestly impressed they managed to create a wordmark that looks modern and fresh while still tying into their dated cap logo quite nicely. I like that the stripes match the wordmark as well.
  • Colombia: The updates you made to them are improvements, I do feel it is important generally speaking for them that the blue separates the yellow & red, so that the warmer colors don't blend together (the previous Twins set had a similar issue).
  • Great Britain: Once again the updates really make this set, it looks nice & classic, I especially love the Union Jack alternate, that's probably my favorite jersey of the series so far.
  • Mexico: I like the split-color style of the main jerseys, and I especially like the neon-lights vibe of the alternate.
  • USA: This set feels patriotic to the max, and I dig it. The alternating pins is a nice compromise between going with just one or the other, as I feel navy would be too drab, and red too bright/pink-ish. For the red alternate, I'd maybe suggest going with more same-size, geometric stars, like the flag, as the different-sized stars make me think of space (which I guess isn't the worst thing, as the US obviously played a big part in the "Space Race"). I like the red & white stripes on the navy alternate.
  • Dominican Republic: Probably my favorite overall set of the series so far, the main home & away feel like they'd be right at home in the 1950's, in the best way. I'm not sure how I feel about the inclusion of navy on the alternate, but I get why you did it in order to continue the flag motif. Maybe there's a way to maintain that but with just red & white?

Looking forward to seeing the last few teams!

Thank you for your feedback! It's very much appreciated 😁

I'll be tweaking USA's red and RD's blue alts next week! Thanks for the suggestions.

• Like 1

Only 4 teams to go! Let's continue with Israel:

The whole set uses the Pirates '77 home jersey as base. Not because it's related to Israel in any way (at least not that I know of), but because I think the double pinstripes could be used as a nod to the country's flag.

Since I've not found a good picture of the 2023 jerseys that I could use to recreate the re-create the new wordmark, I used the Hebrew writing for the main home and road designs, while making a new "Israel" wordmark for the alt jersey. I also brought back and tweaked their old logo to use it on the cap and as sleeve patch:

9Ig7qBq.png

YEnSJDe.png

CzhocVT.png

V3KFOB0.png

• Like 2
  • Applause 1