2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

8 hours ago, monkeypower said:

What are you talking about?

"The chevron comes up far too high, taking up way too much space"? The chevron is barely the bottom third of the jersey and the highest point doesn't seem any higher than the highest point of any basic hem striping.

"the point doesn't follow a natural flow in any meaningful way"? It's the middle of the jersey.

It looks like a fat guy tucked the front of his jersey into his breezers.   It's appauling in every way a jersey can be.   But that's just my humble opinion : )

zzPEfBm.png

The black C sweaters were very well-received at the time because they represented a return to relative normalcy after years of one of the worst road uniforms in the league. As time has gone by, it's easier to see the flaws, namely way too much black on the logo and elsewhere (not sure about any of this stuff about natural flows and fat guys), but they served their purpose.  Black should be no more than a minimal accent color for the Flames.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

15 minutes ago, ruttep said:

???

They are nonsense because they are either not true, or completely inaccurate. If you are going to pick apart a design atleast be honest about it. Saying the hem comes up too high when it doesn’t get higher than any other hem stripe, and the lowest point of the chevron less than an inch above the actual hem. Saying there is no flow or meaning to the point in the chevron when it is in the Middle of the sweater. What more “flow” or meaning do you need?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dont care said:

They are nonsense because they are either not true, or completely inaccurate. If you are going to pick apart a design atleast be honest about it. Saying the hem comes up too high when it doesn’t get higher than any other hem stripe, and the lowest point of the chevron less than an inch above the actual hem. Saying there is no flow or meaning to the point in the chevron when it is in the Middle of the sweater. What more “flow” or meaning do you need?

That wasn't me bro lmao. I just said I didn't like the black "C." I said the jersey with black wasn't bad, but wasn't great either.

The argument you're looking to pick apart was from @monkeypower.

• Like 1

Okay here the thing, When the flames had the jersey with the two flags on the shoulder it had black in it. Yet more people where wearing the 3rd jersey at time more then there home at the time. Retros where selling more then the home jersey at the game. 

So the Flames Like the Yellow, white and Red.

To note, flames dont need a black in there jersey when they have blasty 

• Applause 1

I will forever go to bat for this specific Flames uniform:

cal0519-gbflames7-copy-20220527jpg?cs=sr

The colors are sharp and balanced. The sweater has this "charred" or "burned out" effect for a team named after fire. The uniform actually utilizes the yellow/white/black striping pattern found on the 90s set in a way that's actually appealing.

The problem with this uniform set was the dull white uniform and how the black outlines completely nuked the bright colors and "glowing red-hot" effect to the crest and numbers that makes the Flames old/current set so enjoyable:

elias-lindholm-1040x572.jpg

CGY-Jonathan-Huberdeau-e1677170998648.jp

I would enjoy it if the Flames brought back that 2004 red uniform as their alternate uniform and wore it a couple of times throughout the year to change things up as it does all the things I want from the Flames: it keeps the team in red sweaters with the flaming-C crest, yet it's different enough with the black equipment to give it a completely different vibe. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 2

1 hour ago, GFB said:

I will forever go to bat for this specific Flames uniform:

cal0519-gbflames7-copy-20220527jpg?cs=sr

The colors are sharp and balanced. The sweater has this "charred" or "burned out" effect for a team named after fire. The uniform actually utilizes the yellow/white/black striping pattern found on the 90s set in a way that's actually appealing.

The problem with this uniform set was the dull white uniform and how the black outlines completely nuked the bright colors and "glowing red-hot" effect to the crest and numbers that makes the Flames old/current set so enjoyable:

elias-lindholm-1040x572.jpg

CGY-Jonathan-Huberdeau-e1677170998648.jp

I would enjoy it if the Flames brought back that 2004 red uniform as their alternate uniform and wore it a couple of times throughout the year to change things up as it does all the things I want from the Flames: it keeps the team in red sweaters with the flaming-C crest, yet it's different enough with the black equipment to give it a completely different vibe. 

You know what, I agree that it could be a good alternate if you take away the black C (which I still think is terrible). Maybe put Blasty on a red jersey. At the very least, it will look better than the current all-black Blasty alt. But it should never take precedence over the classic look.

The Rangers white jersey is my favorite white jersey in the NHL, but Calgary's is my second favorite. It just has a lot of vibrancy and color that you don't see with very many white jerseys.

I didn't follow hockey yet, but the Flames 03-07 is one of my top 10 favorites. Then what Reebok made them one of their worst templates ever, and got rid of blasty as a shoulder patch. the classic/ current set I've never been a fan of.  I don't think its bad, but could black as a trim color.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 3

10 hours ago, the admiral said:

The black C sweaters were very well-received at the time because they represented a return to relative normalcy after years of one of the worst road uniforms in the league. As time has gone by, it's easier to see the flaws, namely way too much black on the logo and elsewhere (not sure about any of this stuff about natural flows and fat guys), but they served their purpose.  Black should be no more than a minimal accent color for the Flames.

Blasty, and the Flames subsequent chevron period, was introduced in 1998 and that same season was the first after the Flames bought the Hitmen and introduced new chevron jerseys for the Hitmen. I'm pretty sure I've posted this thought here before, but I wonder if it would have been a better look had the Flames adopted the jerseys they gave the Hitmen.

Just flip the black and red and change the copper to yellow with the white C on the red jerseys. (I do have a concept I threw together but I don't know if we can still post them in non-concept threads anymore. Did I remember reading that somewhere?)

IMG_7337-01.jpg

It still is a chevron and keeps black as an accent, but promotes yellow to secondary.

IbjBaeE.png

5 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Blasty, and the Flames subsequent chevron period, was introduced in 1998 and that same season was the first after the Flames bought the Hitmen and introduced new chevron jerseys for the Hitmen. I'm pretty sure I've posted this thought here before, but I wonder if it would have been a better look had the Flames adopted the jerseys they gave the Hitmen.

Just flip the black and red and change the copper to yellow with the white C on the red jerseys. (I do have a concept I threw together but I don't know if we can still post them in non-concept threads anymore. Did I remember reading that somewhere?)

IMG_7337-01.jpg

It still is a chevron and keeps black as an accent, but promotes yellow to secondary.

I dunno. I think that black anywhere in that color scheme would have looked dated by now, no matter what. The only way I see that the 2004 uniforms would not have been eventually replaced is if they won the Cup that year...

I won't even touch the debate on whether that goal was in.