2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

2 hours ago, TBGKon said:

The released 1,904 jerseys (to represent the original year of Gasparilla in Tampa.  Per their explanation, they were able to do this release since they were not warmup jerseys (league no longer allows special warmup jerseys, or the sale of them to the public)

Specialty jerseys are most definitely still being sold by teams.  You got $900 Canadian lying around, then you can get yourself a Lunar New Year or Pride jersey using the practice jersey template right now from the Canucks.

3 hours ago, Chromatic said:

I might just be done if they do that. I'm so sick of changing based on whatever direction the wind is blowing. Mickey Mouse operation for over 50 years.

I won't stop cheering for them but if hell freezes over and they actually win a championship, it will be less special for me if it's not in Blue White and Green.

The worst part is all the people clamouring for the skate are the same people who will be demanding something else 10 years down the road depending on whatever that flavour of the month is. 

Calling it now, the Messier era Orca returns in 2034 as an alternate...  Two years later the #freewilly movement is started and the original Orca is regarded as the teams most iconic look.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I was a flying skate fan for the longest time, mostly because I associated it with 1994 as a Rangers fan, but more recently in the last year or so I've come around more on the current uniforms. I've come to realize that the skate jerseys were a mediocre logo paired with a mediocre color scheme, one that isn't all that unique (Calgary, one of Vancouver's biggest rivals, basically has that same color scheme, even though I'd like them to completely drop black). 

Regarding the current jerseys, they're just about the best the Canucks have ever had, with a few changes I'd make:

- Not sold on the orca. It's perfectly fine, but given its history, it still feels like something that was forced on the franchise by ownership. Ideally, I'd put the stick-in-rink on the jersey, but it's not a big deal.

- Get rid of Agency font. It just doesn't look right on a jersey design that's about as traditional as it gets. I actually thought that the pants stripes somewhat balanced it out, but especially if you're just going to wear solid blue pants, drop that font and just wear regular block font

- Bring back the pants stripes

(Yes, I know I'm essentially asking for these back. These are my favorite Canucks uniforms of all time.)

spacer.png

But above all else, do not change the color scheme. It's far superior to any other in franchise history.

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, ruttep said:

I was a flying skate fan for the longest time, mostly because I associated it with 1994 as a Rangers fan, but more recently in the last year or so I've come around more on the current uniforms. I've come to realize that the skate jerseys were a mediocre logo paired with a mediocre color scheme, one that isn't all that unique (Calgary, one of Vancouver's biggest rivals, basically has that same color scheme, even though I'd like them to completely drop black). 

Regarding the current jerseys, they're just about the best the Canucks have ever had, with a few changes I'd make:

- Not sold on the orca. It's perfectly fine, but given its history, it still feels like something that was forced on the franchise by ownership. Ideally, I'd put the stick-in-rink on the jersey, but it's not a big deal.

- Get rid of Agency font. It just doesn't look right on a jersey design that's about as traditional as it gets. I actually thought that the pants stripes somewhat balanced it out, but especially if you're just going to wear solid blue pants, drop that font and just wear regular block font

- Bring back the pants stripes

(Yes, I know I'm essentially asking for these back. These are my favorite Canucks uniforms of all time.)

spacer.png

But above all else, do not change the color scheme. It's far superior to any other in franchise history.

I would also contend that while not identical, the colour scheme is quite similar to Vegas and Anaheim, two other teams in the Pacific division.

The thing about the Skate is that I think people like the idea of it more than the actual reality of how it looks. If they went back to the Skate full time, it would get very old, very quickly, and people would quickly start demanding something else. The skate was not well loved in its tenure, and it was generally seen as a good thing when it went away. The exact same thing happened in the late 00s with the uniform you posted as is happening now with the skate, except I think social media amplifies the skate hype to a degree so a loud minority seems much more prevalent than it actually is. 

Going back to it would throw out decades of brand equity from an organization that desperately needs it. Its like getting a barbed wire tattoo because 90s nostalgia is all the rage right now, so clearly it will always look cool. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

22 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

No matter how much people wish the team never moved from Minnesota to Dallas (I'm one of those people for the record), the Stars are still essentially a second-six franchise with a rich history in Green, Black and Gold.  A history that includes a Stanley Cup Championship.

The Dallas Stars never won the Stanley Cup in North Stars green and gold.

They won the Cup in forest green, bronze, and black.

1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

The Dallas Stars never won the Stanley Cup in North Stars green and gold. 

They won the Cup in forest green, bronze, and black.

Never said they did.

But if the team had stayed in Minnesota, they would have likely darkened their palette like just about every other team in the mid 90's...  The additions of Black and Metallic Gold happened gradually and well before the team moved.

Therefore, it would be disingenuous to call it a completely separate colour scheme.

I do not envy the Canucks or thier fans, so many different identities and color options. So many to choose from, so many opinions.

the 2020-2021 reverse retro is easily my all time favorite Canucks logo/color/uniform combo.

I'm Team gradient, no matter how despised it seems to be nowdays.

Wouldn't mind the Orca, but in Flying Skate 80s colors too.

Thankfully there was some First Nations themed design and merch available a year ago that did that in a similiar colorway.

Shame those special edition jerseys are 750 CAD or more.

• Applause 1
  • Huh? 1

12 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

Calling it now, the Messier era Orca returns in 2034 as an alternate...  Two years later the #freewilly movement is started and the original Orca is regarded as the teams most iconic look.

Except it won’t be the original West Coast Express Orca. It will be a similar uniform with enough inexplicably small downgrades that the nostalgia appeal is ruined and it’s just an ugly new uniform that people use the 2034 slang equivalents of “‘fire, ‘clean AF’, GOATed’” etc  to describe why it’s actually the best uniform ever and they should have never went away from it.

• LOL 1

9 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I think some people forget or don't know the Orca was only the logo because it was the name of the then ownership group.

(I am correct in saying that, right?)

As far as I know, the team nor the ownership group ever went on the record saying that's why they used the orca in their logo, however, everyone naturally made that connection on their own (because, c'mon, it's obvious)

Canucks GM Pat Quinn said at the unveiling back in June '97, "The killer whale is one of the most intelligent creatures in the world and embodies many of the qualities [we] value in [our] hockey team" ... "We are a proud Canadian city [and] our logo will show the world where we're from." 

• Like 1

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

20 minutes ago, CC97 said:

As far as I know, the team nor the ownership group ever went on the record saying that's why they used the orca in their logo, however, everyone naturally made that connection on their own (because, c'mon, it's obvious)

Canucks GM Pat Quinn said at the unveiling back in June '97, "The killer whale is one of the most intelligent creatures in the world and embodies many of the qualities [we] value in [our] hockey team" ... "We are a proud Canadian city [and] our logo will show the world where we're from." 

The ownership group took on the Orca Bay name in 1995 and as you said, the orca logo is from 1997.

Now, I'm normally not much for conspiracy theories but I have to believe this one.

IbjBaeE.png

6 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

The ownership group took on the Orca Bay name in 1995 and as you said, the orca logo is from 1997.

Now, I'm normally not much for conspiracy theories but I have to believe this one.

Oh absolutely! I just wanted to be clear that there's no official acknowledgement of this from the team

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

25 minutes ago, CC97 said:

1 minute ago, monkeypower said:

The Orca Bay conspiracy theory is complete nonsense.  It does not hold up to basic scrutiny. I say this as someone who does not think the Orca is a great logo, but that's because I think it's poorly designed, not because its "corporate".

Orca Bay was the Canucks parent company. It's business was operating the Canucks (and Grizzlies). Changing the logo of the Canucks to an Orca has absolutely nothing to do with "promoting Orca Bay", because Orca Bay's mandate was promoting the Canucks. This is chopping down trees to make axe-handles. If the Canucks were purchased by say Starbucks and changed their logo to a mermaid, there might be an argument there. But the "corporate orca" conspiracy theory makes as much sense as complaining about the team being named 'Canucks' because Orca Bay changed its name to 'Canucks Sports and Enterainment' 

• Applause 2
  • Yawn 1
  • Hate 1

There might be a connection, but I don't like the way people will turn that connection that isn't very strong into the main reason why the Orca logo is so hated. I personally think it's the best logo they've used

• Dislike 1

4 hours ago, MrOrange said:

I'm Team gradient, no matter how despised it seems to be nowdays.

Gradients are fun as special alternate jerseys. They should never be anywhere near a team's primary look.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

I think some people forget or don't know the Orca was only the logo because it was the name of the then ownership group.

(I am correct in saying that, right?)

Exactly why I'm never gonna be completely sold on that logo.

• Applause 1
  • Yawn 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Chromatic said:

The Orca Bay conspiracy theory is complete nonsense.  It does not hold up to basic scrutiny. I say this as someone who does not think the Orca is a great logo, but that's because I think it's poorly designed, not because its "corporate".

Orca Bay was the Canucks parent company. It's business was operating the Canucks (and Grizzlies). Changing the logo of the Canucks to an Orca has absolutely nothing to do with "promoting Orca Bay", because Orca Bay's mandate was promoting the Canucks. This is chopping down trees to make axe-handles. If the Canucks were purchased by say Starbucks and changed their logo to a mermaid, there might be an argument there. But the "corporate orca" conspiracy theory makes as much sense as complaining about the team being named 'Canucks' because Orca Bay changed its name to 'Canucks Sports and Enterainment' 

You're pretty off base here.

There's nothing to do with promoting the ownership group like your Starbucks example or with something like the Mighty Ducks. There's no financial/advertising conspiracy or corporate synergy here, Orca Bay wanted to change their logo and picked the creature the ownership group was named after. 

The orca logo is more akin to the Cleveland Browns being named the Browns or the Calgary Hitmen being named the Hitmen or the Winnipeg Jets having the compass notch in their logo pointing (true) north. The ownership wanted to reflect the ownership in the name or brand in some way.

• Applause 1

IbjBaeE.png

35 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

You're pretty off base here.

There's nothing to do with promoting the ownership group like your Starbucks example or with something like the Mighty Ducks. There's no financial/advertising conspiracy or corporate synergy here, Orca Bay wanted to change their logo and picked the creature the ownership group was named after. 

The orca logo is more akin to the Cleveland Browns being named the Browns or the Calgary Hitmen being named the Hitmen or the Winnipeg Jets having the compass notch in their logo pointing (true) north. The ownership wanted to reflect the ownership in the name or brand in some way.

The theory that gets promulgated all the time is that the Canucks changed to the Orca logo to “promote” Orca Bay. That’s not the case.

If you want to make the ‘synergism’ argument, which is still silly because it isn’t like Orca Bay is some separate entity from the Canucks, that’s fine, but then the Orca being a “corporate” logo makes no sense as a criticism either,

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Dislike 1