XFL Redesign - 14/16, Indigo Added

RO_

Howdy everyone - Well the XFL season is almost over, and while I've enjoyed most of the games I've watched I'm not crazy with most of the unis. I do like that each team's primary color is different, the problem is.. they all kinda suck. So here's my attempt to fix it. As a challenge I wanted to make sure each team was unique, so no two teams share a primary color or the same color helmet. Also, I've expanded the league to 12 teams (I guess this would only make sense if they merged with the USFL):

spacer.png

To make the league slightly more unique, it would be broken down into three four-team divisions, a 14-game schedule, and a 4 to 6 team playoff:

spacer.png

There will be some relocations, new color palettes, and of course a few new teams. Can you guess who is who? I'm just gonna go from left to right starting with red:

DC Defenders

XFL East

Despite having two pairs of red pants for some reason, DC still has one of the better looking sets this year. So this one doesn't change much, I removed the marbling from the helmet and put the alt logo on the helmet. Added white pants with a floating stripe just to switch it up a bit, nothing too crazy for this first one:

spacer.png

Next up: the maroon team. Who's it gonna be?

• Like 11
  • Applause 1

First of all, this is a very big upgrade. Incorporating the striping from DC's flag is something that should've done in the first place, and the addition of white pants is a HUGE upgrade over what we got (two separate red pants IRL). I just wonder if you're going to retain the Defenders' current logo as an alternate, though.

As for the maroon team, I'm guessing...the Jacksonville Bulls? I also thought of the San Antonio Commanders from the AAF, but we already have the Brahmas, so yeah.

• Like 4

On 4/17/2023 at 12:28 AM, edjb93 said:

First of all, this is a very big upgrade. Incorporating the striping from DC's flag is something that should've done in the first place, and the addition of white pants is a HUGE upgrade over what we got (two separate red pants IRL). I just wonder if you're going to retain the Defenders' current logo as an alternate, though.

As for the maroon team, I'm guessing...the Jacksonville Bulls? I also thought of the San Antonio Commanders from the AAF, but we already have the Brahmas, so yeah.

Thank you! You know I can go either way on the new D logo that they have on their current helmet. I don't hate it but I think this one fits better on a helmet (I did have another concept with that logo instead).

And damn, you got really close, haha. The three teams you mentioned were the inspiration for this one:

San Antonio Brahmas

XFL South

I felt a couple other teams were more fitting to use yellow and charcoal/gray, so the Brahmas get a new color palette. The Commanders were my AAF team so the maroon and silver is a nod to them, and the neon orange was inspired by the Bulls. Went with a sunrise gradient for the striping, and a more 'western' number font:

spacer.png

Orange team is next.

• Like 2

• RO_ changed the title to XFL Redesign - 2/12, Maroon team added

I don't like the silver for the Brahmas as it gets lost in the Helmet and i don't think spectators would see it.

DC is great.

Could you do a map?

Orange, Florida or California?

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

14 hours ago, RO_ said:

spacer.png

Orange team is next.

I like the overall look, but that number font is too thin and would be hard to see even from the stands. And the 2 looks more like a Z than a number. 

Western Style Retro Alphabet Vector Stencil Font. Serif Type Letters,  Numbers And Symbols On The Distressed Background. Vintage Vector Typography  For Labels, Headlines, Posters Etc. Royalty Free SVG, Cliparts, Vectors,  And Stock

Something closer to this might work a lot better. It's slim, but more recognizable. 

• Like 7

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

40 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I like the overall look, but that number font is too thin and would be hard to see even from the stands. And the 2 looks more like a Z than a number. 

Western Style Retro Alphabet Vector Stencil Font. Serif Type Letters,  Numbers And Symbols On The Distressed Background. Vintage Vector Typography  For Labels, Headlines, Posters Etc. Royalty Free SVG, Cliparts, Vectors,  And Stock

Something closer to this might work a lot better. It's slim, but more recognizable. 

I agree. The foundation is good, however that word mark looks like a skeleton of a font.

To sound off of @tigers, I do see how the helmet can get lost. Could switching the color scheme?

rAUPGPZ.png

14 hours ago, tigers said:

I don't like the silver for the Brahmas as it gets lost in the Helmet and i don't think spectators would see it.

DC is great.

Could you do a map?

Orange, Florida or California?

3 minutes ago, GrayJ12 said:

I agree. The foundation is good, however that word mark looks like a skeleton of a font.

To sound off of @tigers, I do see how the helmet can get lost. Could switching the color scheme?

I think if the silver on the helemt was chrome like, it would stand out on a matte maroon helmet. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think if the silver on the helemt was chrome like, it would stand out on a matte maroon helmet. 

I still can't see the wide camera angle and spectator more than 50 meters away seeing it but it would be a lot better.

That whole backward bulls horn is just a mess, they should have done it at the front like Phily Eagles.

• Dislike 1

2 hours ago, tigers said:

I still can't see the wide camera angle and spectator more than 50 meters away seeing it but it would be a lot better.

That whole backward bulls horn is just a mess, they should have done it at the front like Phily Eagles.

Brahma horns face towards the front, so it's correct on the helmet.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Brahma horns face towards the front, so it's correct on the helmet.

I'm not familiar with to many Brahma and i do realise their horns come from the back of the head and up.

What i am inferring to is it looks ridiculous on the helmet the way it is. There are many others out their including Phily's that are not 100% the way the animal or object are IRL.

• Dislike 1

I appreciate the feedback! I tried an orange helmet logo but I think the shade I picked is too vibrant, I didn't think it contrasted enough. But I have a couple of tweaks:

• Went with a darker maroon for better contrast
  • I couldn't find a stenciled font I liked so I went with a rounded, 'spurred' font that's easier to read
  • The first option has a chrome facemask and decals, and the second I dropped silver completely and replaced white with an off-white/sand color

Option 1:

spacer.png

Option 2 (I think I'm leaning more towards this one as I'm realizing there are a lot of teams that use silver/gray, and it'd give one more team a non-white away jersey:

spacer.png

Also, how would we feel about a red helmet for DC? I'm thinking of giving the white helmet to another team:

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

• RO_ changed the title to XFL Redesign - 2/12, updates for SA & maybe DC

Ok, a couple of small tweaks to San Antonio and then it's onto the orange team. I darkened the sand color a smidge, and I reversed the colors on the helmet and I kinda dig it. It gives it more of a Jacksonville Bulls vibe, but I'l let you all decide which is better.

Sand helmet:

spacer.png

Maroon helmet:

spacer.png

And the orange team is:

LA Wildcats

XFL West

I'm sure you're wondering why I would keep the generic LA monogram?

I dunno, I can't draw logos.

Anyways, my original idea was to replace black with navy blue, but after playing around with some ideas I landed on dropping it altogether and went with a bright double orange. The jersey keeps the same look as the 2020 version (sleeve caps and side panels), and I tried a different application of slashes to the stripes. I think I like the white helmet better for LA than I do DC.

Not sure how the number font will be received but I picked it because it has a similar shape to the monogram:

spacer.png

I tweaked the shade of maroon for San Antonio and the orange for LA, so here is an updated graphic of all the teams' primary colors:

spacer.png

And now that some teams have been added, here is the current breakdown of divisions:

spacer.png

And just for fun, a helmet graphic (sorted by division) that I'll update every few teams:

spacer.png

Yellow/gold is next, the Brahmas are off the table so who will it be?

• Like 3

• RO_ changed the title to XFL Redesign - 3/12, Orange added, SA updated

Your latest Brahmas concept is much better, especially with the sand-colored helmet. Though I love their current color scheme, I think this would suffice.

As for the Wildcats, though, the double-orange is a nice choice, given that it jives with the Southern California vibe. Adding a lil' amount of red can be a good contrast, but it's your call, anyway.

• Like 1

I guess I should have mentioned some teams from a defunct league will be returning, you might see a couple more from this league:

San Diego Fleet

XFL West

I have a soft spot for the AAF. I had a lot of fun watching this league, the logos and uniforms were pretty good, and the total implosion was really crazy to watch in real time. Hell, I even made an AAF mod for Axis Football that someone at Kotaku Australia wrote an article about for some reason 😅

San Diego getting a team just makes sense, so I'm bringing the Fleet and some others back. I rearranged the colors a bit on this one: switched the helmet to silver, and used a darker yellow that would hold up better as a home jersey.

spacer.png

Teal is up next, and it is a current XFL team.

• Like 5

• RO_ changed the title to XFL Redesign - 4/12, Yellow added

I still don't know why most AAF teams didn't have white jerseys to complement their dark-colored ones. With that being said, this version of the Fleet looks better than, if not as good as, the originals. My only nitpick though is the helmet color. To me, I think the anthracite helmet just looks better, but I understand your call of having a silver helmet instead so as to be paired perfectly with silver pants.

Since you said that the teal team is a current XFL team, I initially guessed it's either the Vipers or the Guardians, but I think the Vipers will be in black and the Guardians will hold on the dark green, so I might consider the Sea Dragons instead.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, edjb93 said:

I still don't know why most AAF teams didn't have white jerseys to complement their dark-colored ones.

I still believe that a white jersey should not be a requirement in a set, just a dark one and a light one.

If white is part of the team's official colors, then it's okay to make that the color of the light jersey. But cream or silver or yellow or light blue or whatever else should also be acceptable.

• Like 3

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.