MLB MULTIVERSE

MJD7

12 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Do you have a source for that?

Texas Rangers (baseball) - Wikipedia I found it on this section of the Texas Rangers Wikipedia page, the original source comes from a Buffalo local news article talking about the story of how Buffalo was in consideration to land the second incarnation of the Washington Senators. 

Another interesting tidbit I found is that during the 2020 season, the Blue Jays nearly shared PNC Park with the Pirates in Pittsburgh.

• Like 1

QNXVyki.png

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Seattle Pilots]

That Rays concept. WHOA.

On 6/28/2023 at 12:40 PM, MJD7 said:

What if... the Rangers relocated to Tampa Bay (and changed their name)?

The Rangers tried negotiating a deal to sell the team to a Tampa group in the late 80's, but it fell through. I combined the Rangers' script font with the Rays' beautiful color scheme.

JqjAX5d.png

dOINg1I.png

qpUoRVE.png

huxJcvK.png

Incredible

• Love 1

17 hours ago, MJD7 said:

What if... the Pilots remained in Seattle?

The Pilots only lasted one season in Seattle before moving to Milwaukee in 1970 and becoming the Brewers, but what if they were able to stay? This set takes heavy inspiration from the Mariners' recent City Connect jersey.

TAPT2KE.png

e6iHTN2.png

cGOKAQa.png

WMuwpgZ.png

This is from the verse where the St. Louis Browns moved back to Milwaukee instead of the Braves. 

• Like 1

What if... the Twins relocated to Charlotte?

Twins' owner Carl Pohlad was having issues with getting the struggling team a new stadium in the 90's, so Carolina businessmen tried to lure them to move. Purple & teal was all the rage at the time, matching the Hornets.

uBU8V6e.png

YN0Raz3.png

W38DHAa.png

gPKcjwB.png

• Like 15

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Carolina Twins]

If the Pilots remained in Seattle, do Nintendo still purchase them? If they do, then the colours would probably still be changed to navy and teal, as the Pilots would have been as bad in the Down in a Hole Dome as the Mariners were and there would have been as little backlash to dumping the blue and yellow as there was in this universe.

Would the Twins be renamed the Charlotte Knights upon going down south? I can imagine that the city of Charlotte, desparate to prove itself, would have wanted the team named after the city.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

Would the Twins be renamed the Charlotte Knights upon going down south? I can imagine that the city of Charlotte, desparate to prove itself, would have wanted the team named after the city.

The original Twins -> Carolina proposal would've put them in the Triad, in between Greensboro and Winston-Salem, about an hour and a half away from Charlotte or Raleigh. This was, of course, a bad idea, and after voters rejected the plan, there was a short-lived backup to move to Charlotte that never really got much traction. That to say, nowadays, a Charlotte baseball team would almost certainly be the Knights but back then there's a decent shot the team sticks with at least "Twins".

I am loving the Carolina Twins set! The modern Twins set might be my favorite in the bigs and seeing it in purple and teal is a treat. Keep it up!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

2 hours ago, NicDB said:

I love how naturally this one works out. Twins now referring to the "twin" Carolinas.

I'd take it even further and utilize the TC logo. Which becomes a CT for our purposes.

Exactly! I thought about using the TC logo, but I can't help but see it as exactly that, a TC, and not a CT. Maybe if I flip the positioning/colors?

lmCTnPn.png

4 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

If the Pilots remained in Seattle, do Nintendo still purchase them? If they do, then the colours would probably still be changed to navy and teal, as the Pilots would have been as bad in the Down in a Hole Dome as the Mariners were and there would have been as little backlash to dumping the blue and yellow as there was in this universe.

Maybe:

2W6d8zu.png

XTQsu8k.png

ikUVlO5.png

3uE2l8V.png

The navy & teal is probably my single favorite color combo in all of sports, so I definitely wouldn't be opposed.

4 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

Possibly, if so, I have a design for that already:

39 minutes ago, CDCLT said:

The original Twins -> Carolina proposal would've put them in the Triad, in between Greensboro and Winston-Salem, about an hour and a half away from Charlotte or Raleigh. This was, of course, a bad idea, and after voters rejected the plan, there was a short-lived backup to move to Charlotte that never really got much traction. That to say, nowadays, a Charlotte baseball team would almost certainly be the Knights but back then there's a decent shot the team sticks with at least "Twins".

I am loving the Carolina Twins set! The modern Twins set might be my favorite in the bigs and seeing it in purple and teal is a treat. Keep it up!

I was aware of that in doing the research, I thought about explaining it but the 140 characters Twitter provides wasn't really sufficient. In my mind, Charlotte would've been the only move that made a decent amount of sense and could've kept the team in the area for a long enough time to work. I'm glad you like it though!

• Like 3

What if... the Athletics relocated to Milwaukee?

After A's owner "Charlie O." was denied moving to Atlanta in 1964, the Schlitz Brewing Company tried to buy the team in a majority stake, but he refused. Football fans will likely recognize the striping pattern on the sleeves.

Thanks to @SFGiants58 for the original research on this one (and many others).

7zPhwcq.png

64NVuEa.png

j7h8Hgv.png

wbaES9j.png

• Like 12
  • Love 1

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Milwaukee Athletics]
10 hours ago, NicDB said:

Wow... good call on using the Packers pro stripe as the sleeve piping.

Only thing I'd change is using the singular A on the sleeve patch. It gets mashed down too much with "A's"

I actually tried fitting the Old English “M” in the patch at first, but I couldn’t quite get it to work right. Interestingly, I think the (‘s) actually might help the logo fit in the space better.

What if... the Browns remained in St. Louis?

The Browns moved to Baltimore in 1954 and became the Orioles, but what if they didn't? It'd feel weird for a St. Louis team to not have red in their color palette, even in an alternate universe.

aUjaNdx.png

cazv4YS.png

Wq7IdYD.png

915SGj5.png

• Like 13

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [St. Louis Browns]

What if... the Padres relocated to Washington (and changed their name)? 

Fittingly for today, this one is the same premise as my original Padres → DC design, just if they changed their name to another one they considered, the "Stars."

jDpWyjS.png

zH9U5z0.png

7T8F5QJ.png

zo5YqsW.png

• Like 10

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Washington Stars (Padres)]

I would change the placket piping on the red jersey. I like the double colors, and the idea of having both white and blue is nice, but the white doesn't contrast super well, and kinda sticks out. Maybe try a triple striped placket (like the Braves,) with white and blue outlining the red? 

Fantastic work on this series so far though! I'd love to see your modern take on the St. Paul Saints if they hadn't left for Chicago in 1901 to become the White Sox!

• Like 1

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

2 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

I would change the placket piping on the red jersey. I like the double colors, and the idea of having both white and blue is nice, but the white doesn't contrast super well, and kinda sticks out. Maybe try a triple striped placket (like the Braves,) with white and blue outlining the red? 

Fantastic work on this series so far though! I'd love to see your modern take on the St. Paul Saints if they hadn't left for Chicago in 1901 to become the White Sox!

Maybe something like this? I know the thicker striping is pretty unconventional especially for a jersey with placket piping, but I think that's part of the appeal.

08HA9ZP.png

I didn't know about the St. Paul Saints! I might have to look into that some more.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

To add on to your point, I wonder if @MJD7 would be doing any early MLB (AL and NL teams) that includes the St. Paul Saints, the original St. Louis Browns that became the Cardinals, the original Baltimore Orioles, Brewers, the original White Sox, Kansas City Cowboys (which I did a concept of my own)

• Like 1

QNXVyki.png

11 minutes ago, maxwasson said:

To add on to your point, I wonder if @MJD7 would be doing any early MLB (AL and NL teams) that includes the St. Paul Saints, the original St. Louis Browns that became the Cardinals, the original Baltimore Orioles, Brewers, the original White Sox, Kansas City Cowboys (which I did a concept of my own)

If those teams can be traced to current MLB teams (I haven ‘t done the research), I might be down!

1 minute ago, MJD7 said:

If those teams can be traced to current MLB teams (I haven ‘t done the research), I might be down!

Some of them can, some of them cannot, I know for certain that the original Baltimore Orioles are now the Yankees and the original Brewers in the AL are now the Baltimore Orioles. The original St. Louis Browns became the Cardinals and moved to the National League from the minor league American Association in 1892. The Boston Braves of the NL got their start as the Red Stockings; technically making them the original Boston Red Sox. And during the early years of MLB, the Boston Braves and Brooklyn Dodgers were known to shuffle through a bunch of different team names as well. Cleveland Guardians had a couple of different early name changes, the Yankees were once the Highlanders during the first couple of years in NYC. 

And during my Kansas City Cowboys concept thread, I was able to trace the origins of the first incarnation of the Washington Senators back to the Kansas City Cowboys/Blues minor league team that played in the Western League which became the American League at the turn of the 20th century.

• Like 1

QNXVyki.png