2023-24 NBA Season thread

TrueYankee26

34 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

At some point, it's probably time to get over it and appreciate Krause for the six rings he helped bring in instead of getting mad that he didn't win a seventh, in a league where most teams haven't even won one in our lifetimes.

No. I'm not going to. He insisted upon himself too much and no one is going to give him, his widow, or his memory that pleasure. Should have tried being humble while having Michael Jordan.

This was just Reinsdorf dunking on everyone. None of this is anything they had to do.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Looking at that clip from the pregame, they put a big picture of Krause on the jumbotron, which drew the Pavlovian response, then said "and here's his widow!" Would you break out into rousing applause if suddenly you saw this?

QLCZLGZZCJDALHHKH6ZTDT4IDA.jpg

Knowing from the Kenny Williams/Ozzie Guillen soap opera how much Jerry Reinsdorf is a messy :censored: who loves drama, it would not shock me one bit if the plan all along was to bait-and-switch people like that so that the organization and their puppets could get all high-handed about everybody else's classlessness and what a great man Jerry Krause truly was. Maybe try winning more than one playoff series in the last ten years before dry-humping the corpse of the "Organizations Win Championships" guy. 

Seattle City Council voted against a street vacation that would have created space for a privately funded NBA arena a few years before Climate Pledge. All of the Council women (5) voted against and the Council (men) voted for.

As you can imagine, a bunch of people were upset and said angry things online. So the council members who voted no (which was fully pressured by the Port of Seattle and the Mariners not wanting another facility in the area)  got to deflect any criticism of an obviously farcical vote by saying poor them and poor women just trying to legislate in a world of misogyny and hatred.

Anyway, I don't like when people shut down legitimate critique by appealing to civility above anything else. It's bull:censored:.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

25 minutes ago, BottomlessPitt said:

Draymond might return tomorrow afternoon for the Warriors game in Memphis. That's going to be a :censored: storm. Grizzlies fans hate him probably more than any fan base. 

Bring it on!

giphy.gif

I like comparing the Warriors to HTM, mostly because of how he's the perfect balance between heel heat and "go away" heat.

Just now, SFGiants58 said:

he's the perfect balance between heel heat and "go away" heat.

Is that true though?  I'm not sure if you were around in that era or not, but I'd say it was all heel heat.  Granted, there were no message boards with which to gauge other people's opinions, but with me, there was never any "go away" heat.  Maybe at the end with R&B it had run its course.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

22 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Is that true though?  I'm not sure if you were around in that era or not, but I'd say it was all heel heat.  Granted, there were no message boards with which to gauge other people's opinions, but with me, there was never any "go away" heat.  Maybe at the end with R&B it had run its course.

I definitely remember. He was actually a draw as IC champion. Fans would fill arenas hoping that would be the night he would finally lose the belt. That pop the Warrior got at Summerslam 88 was unreal. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BottomlessPitt said:

I definitely remember. He was actually a draw as IC champion. Fans would fill arenas hoping that would be the night he would finally lose the belt. That pop the Warrior got at Summerslam 88 was unreal. 

Yeah, it’s probably my recency bias talking when I say that HTM had any measure of “go away” heat. I didn’t see Honky in his prime beyond old clips. Rather, I’m much more familiar with this Honky:

Shoot Honky definitely has “go away” heat, even though it’s hilarious to watch him rage at everybody he’s ever worked with in the business. This compilation doesn’t even include the clip of him going off on the REDACTED case or the aforementioned theory about Rick Rude’s death!

But back to the Warriors: I’m pretty sure Draymond has “go away” heat, even in his own fan base!

Siakam is probably a good get for this particular Pacers team. Three firsts is overpaying for him and whatever contract they throw at him this summer will probably also overpay, but what else are they gonna do? They're playing with house money, which is the only way they'll compete these days, so you may as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Digby said:

Siakam is probably a good get for this particular Pacers team. Three firsts is overpaying for him and whatever contract they throw at him this summer will probably also overpay, but what else are they gonna do? They're playing with house money, which is the only way they'll compete these days, so you may as well.

I like the trade for Indiana and Toronto. The Pacers are a buyer's market, and they overpaid.

Not sure what's in it for New Orleans though

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I watched some NBA analysis on ESPN in which Kendrick Perkins seemed to be openly pushing for the network to get more Timberwolves games on national TV, since Anthony Edwards has become a nightly highlight reel.

I'm a T-Wolves fans since the day they got the franchise, but outside of the best KG years in the early 2000s, I never really expected — as someone who hasn't lived in Minnesota for 25 years — to see much of them on national TV. (And until this year, they haven't been good enough to consider the expense of League Pass.) 

I've always been a bit frustrated by the national TV schedule, which makes a 30-team league seem like it only has a dozen teams. I understand why these schedules have to be made in advance, and that they're done so largely on speculation, market size and relative popularity, but it's still frustrating to see a national TV rotation littered with one of Boston/Philly/Denver/Brooklyn/New York/Dallas/Miami/Phoenix/LAC/LAL/Milwaukee/San Antonio when the T-Wolves might be the league's most fascinating and entertaining story of the year. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

70 for Embiid. Sixers franchise record.

21-23 free throws!

JFC. Karl Towns had 62 with 10 3s and only 14 FTs.

Embiid is averaging 12 FTs a game. Shaq and LeBron dreamed for that kind of whistle.

Bucks fired Adrian Griffin. For those keeping score at home, that's two coaches they've fired in the past 6 months or so despite being a 2nd-place team. 

Trying to hire Doc Rivers as his replacement. Apparently he's was being an informal associate for Griffin. Not that I hold ex-jock, ex-pro TV commentators to some lofty journalistic ethical standard, but doesn't this seem a little weird?

While the Bucks had compiled a 15-6 record leading up to their trip to Las Vegas and made their way to the semifinals of the In-Season Tournament, Bucks’ leadership organized a meeting between Griffin veteran NBA head coach Doc Rivers, who was broadcasting In-Season Tournament games for ESPN. Per league sources, the organization believed Rivers, a 24-year NBA head coach and NBA champion, may be able to offer Griffin advice and guidance on how to navigate his first NBA season with high expectations and a championship-caliber team in their Las Vegas session.

• Like 1

lol at the Bucks doing peak-era Lou Lamoriello as if they're a paragon of organizational excellence and not, you know, a sand castle of taxpayer subsidies and history's first really tall Greek guy.