2023-24 NBA Season thread

TrueYankee26

On 1/29/2024 at 9:35 AM, GDAWG said:

If the NBA Playoffs started today, the Lakers would be in the Play-In Tournament like they were last year, and the Warriors would not be in it.  I don't know if this is the start of a Patriots like downfall for the Warriors.  

The Patriots-level cliff dive isn’t here yet, if only because they still have some big star power. Klay will probably re-sign, albeit for less than he asked for and Draymond will hopefully exit before he goes full Akira Maeda and makes the franchise more liable for BS.

If the Warriors mess up their draft and their offseason by getting older and more injured, then the Pats-level cliff is coming fast. Kerr retiring might be a good call too.

There are sort of parallels, but the GSW second peak after the first apparent fall wasn't as long and sustained the way the Patriots' was.

What are the parallels? Brady/Curry surprisingly leaves, also surprisingly ushers new team to title. Draymond sort of fits the Antonio Green or Aaron Hernandez, but has contributed substantially more while also not doing anything THAT bad (that we know of). Maybe Kerr would be left exposed by his former bestie the way Belichick was, but it's hard to see him looking as old and behind-the-times the way BB does now, short of a radical and unlikely rules reinvention that drags the game back to pre-LeBron defense and physical play.

Plus, Kerr started his head coaching career relatively late, so in theory he could catch the Popovich/Nelson class of most wins if he coaches mediocre teams for 20 more years, but I don't really see him doing that the way Belichick wants the Shula record. (Does Kerr have the highest win percentage among coaches now? 2nd place behind the guy the Bucks just fired?)

I can't see Golden State winning again any time soon. Youth is against them at this point, and 2022 feels like more a failure of the Celtics than a success of the Warriors (though I wasn't watching that playoffs anyway so IDK).

My new favorite way to watch Lakers games is to turn them on, watch LA go down ten early, catch up by the end of the half, and then immediately go down ten again in the third.

Darvin Ham refuses to pay Jarred Vanderbilt and Rui Hachimura any meaningful minutes, even though those guys with LeBron, AD, AR and D-Lo went to the WCF.

He has a deep commitment to start Cam Reddish and Taurean Prince that 1. doesn't equate to wins and 2. is infuriating the Lakers fanbase. At this point, it feels like Ham is playing bad lineups out of angry defiance rather than any belief they'll succeed.

The Lakers team is in open revolt against Ham, who is still supported by Jeannie Buss, who in turn doesn't want to pay two coaches so won't fire what is obviously a bad fit.

All this, while the Lakers are wasting a final season of the GOAT, who remains a top 15, impact player nearing 40 years old.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 1/30/2024 at 11:21 PM, Digby said:

Whatever happened to that event where they'd make 3-person teams with an NBA player, a WNBA player and an old head? Bring that back, give me something to actually root for.

Shooting Stars was gone after 2015. Now you've got this extended Skills Challenge which I really hate, because it is a total chaos and mess.

Just bring back original Skills Challenge and Shooting Stars.

By the way, who remember 2ball?

4r2eer.png

How do these Celtics lose to these Lakers, at home, on a night without James OR Davis? 4 to 6 weeks later than usual, but the midseason mental slump that defines these Celtics teams has arrived again.

29 minutes ago, Digby said:

How do these Celtics lose to these Lakers, at home, on a night without James OR Davis? 4 to 6 weeks later than usual, but the midseason mental slump that defines these Celtics teams has arrived again.

Rigged. Gotta keep the Lakers lurking. 😉

4 minutes ago, BottomlessPitt said:

Then you can root for that team

Do I know you?

• Like 2

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 2/2/2024 at 12:24 AM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I swear to God if the Lakers trade LeBron James...

Not happening. They made the conference finals last year as a 7 seed/play-in team, they're on track to be about the same this year. If they were having a 2008 Heat type of year where they're like 10-40 and the wheels are violently coming off then maybe, but I doubt it. LeBron went to LA because he wants to be in LA and live the Brentwood instahoe high life, not because it gave him the best chance for the most amount of rings.

The Celtics have been better about taking care of business this year (as their record would indicate) but I'm super glad that the breakthrough this-game-will-win-itself-we-can-chill-ACK event happened at home against a Lakers team without LeBron or Davis. Extremely cool. I still don't trust them, if they make it out of the East it will probably be because they dodged Miami, Doc killed the Bucks from within, the Sixers are the Sixers, and the Cavs are the nu-Jazz. When you break it down that way, the Knicks start to look like actual contenders.

55 minutes ago, who do you think said:

Who the hell even plays for Memphis right now? I don't think even the post-brawl Pacers were this cleaned out of actual NBA players. This is the first time I've felt like winning a game by "only" 40 warrants criticism. 

They had 13 injured players tonight, right?

I don't even know how that happens.

How goofy is it that Doc Rivers gets to coach the NBA All-Star Game after being on the job for a week? Hilarious loophole in the rulebook. If I'm the NBPA I'm using the opportunity to drag the league for instituting games-played minimums for player awards but conveniently forgetting games-coached minimums for honors like this.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dont care said:

Please no, don’t let this be the next trend in basketball. I can see next years inseason tournament all being on these courts to make up for this past year looking awful for another awful looking gimmick 

I could see this being used for the Finals and the In Season Tournament, where the NBA can change the court ads in real time instead of leaving it up to the individual broadcasters to do in house. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

They're going to use it to display real-time betting lines and promo codes for sports books.

(oh... and 1-800-Gambler, because someone with a problem is totally going to call that.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."